• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (42 Viewers)

Titchwell November 27th

Today's highlights

Ruff - 30 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 12 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on freah marsh, 2 on brackish marsh
Pintail - 71 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - adult roosting on fresh marsh
Med gull - adult roosting on fresh marsh
Water rail - 3 from Fen Hide
Red crested pochard - female on grazing marsh pool

Paul

Always remember asking Josh how I could change my 'username' from Ruralchill, he replied that I shouldn't because he liked the irony!!!

But well done for changing it anyway! Is there a Campaign for Real User Names? Although they can be mildly amusing when initiated, I always think they're cliquey and exclude newcomers. Have never felt comfortable communicating with people whose real names I don't know! (I know, clearly an unreformed luddite!)

Cheers

andymus(grove)

Any recent sightings of that Snow Goose? Heading up Norfolk way on Sunday for a few days, to catch up with several species hard to come by down here in Debbun!

Jon

A Swallow zipping up and down Cromer seafront yesterday lunchtime was a nice surprise, then the rest of the afternoon was spent around West Runton searching for the possible Desert Wheatear.

After nearly 3 hours of fruitlessly searching the clifftop and beach between WR and Beeston Bump, the search not helped by the fact that only 2 other people bothered to turn up to look for it, I was chatting in the car park as darkness fell when I noticed a small bird fly up onto the clifftop and run into a clump of grass under the Med Gulls post.

A quick investigation resulted in us flushing a Wheatear Sp out of the gulley there and it flew off across the ramp and headed off east along the beach, but despite searching till it was too dark to see, it couldn't be relocated, although we found a couple of Snow Buntings and a Stonechat along the cliff face which caused a couple of brief false alerts in the near darkness.

Fast forward to dawn this morning and after an initial search produced a blank, a walk further along the beach towards East Runton finally resulted in us relocating it, but sadly it was just a Northern Wheatear, although the lateness of the date was some compensation.

A flock of 25+ Snow Buntings were also along the cliffs, and a Shag on one of the groynes another nice highlight of the morning.

Simon

Anything known about the RB Goose at Buckenham? Is it with Pinkfeet, or the resdident Barnacles / Canadas?

I don't know any specifics in this case but 1-2 RB Geese have been present with the naturalised Barnies in east Norfolk/Suffolk for several years now. There's even a presumed hybrid RBxBarnacle at Minsmere.

Surprisingly few Pinks usually make it to Buckenham actually, although I think they did start penetrating that far up the valley last winter and it will be interesting to see how many get there this year

Cheers

Andy Mus

Anything known about the RB Goose at Buckenham? Is it with Pinkfeet, or the resdident Barnacles / Canadas?[/QUI
I picked up the RB goose yesterday, its with the feral flock of barnacles and i could see no leg ring.If it was with p-f geese on the north Norfolk coast it would probably be counted as wild.Its always difficult with these geese at Buckenham but last winter the feral grey lags were joined by 2 birds with neck collars that proved they had been ringed as young on Orkney.

If I remember correctly, when the Red-breasted Goose 1st turned up at Buckenham it arrived with Pink-feet and at the same time as the Beans. It then transferred to the Barnacle flock, which it has been moving about with ever since. It didn't create much interest when it 1st arrive, but I, for one, did wonder about wild origins (obviously if any of the locals there can correct me, that would be fine!!) The Barnacles are countable as cat C (I believe), but it is worth remembering that a (?) bird ringed at Spitzbergen was found in a Suffolk flock one summer.

Titchwell November 28th

Today's highlights

Med gull - 3 (adult, 1st winter, 2nd winter) on fresh marsh throughout the day
Peregrine - 2 males hunting over reserve
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 47 on fresh marsh

Paul

Holkham today
One distant G N Diver flew East

1000's of C Scoter - all distant - at one point they were flushed by a Bonxie which flew low over the water...no sign of any white flashes in amongst them though

Nice S E Owl flushed from the dunes, Burnham end, gave close view as it flew off

Otherwise ... all usual birds. I could see people looking at what were presumably the Shore Larks but I did not make it over to see them

I saw two small grebes late on in holkham bay, the light was terrible but I couldn't make them into anything more than little grebes. Just saw pager message ? Anyone get a better view and make them out to be Black Necked ?

Small Grebes off Holkham

I saw two small grebes late on in holkham bay, the light was terrible but I couldn't make them into anything more than little grebes. Just saw pager message ? Anyone get a better view and make them out to be Black Necked ?

Stu et al
Have seen the same message and have logged on to ask for other's thoughts on small grebes they have seen off Holkham. You beat me to it.

The 2008 Norfolk Bird Report confirms that black-necked grebes on the sea require a description to County Rarities Committee.

Have never seen a black-necked grebe on the sea / offshore.
Four grebe species off Holkham but not black-necked - seen at Holkham Lake
Four grebe species off Titchwell but not black-necked - saw my first at Titchwell reserve at Gyspy Lane only this year March 1st (2009).

At Holkham today
Phil Etherington found the slav grebe this morning offshore and Pete Milford and I were put onto it. Thanks Phil! A long way out, but the bird turned sideways on to confirm it was Slavonian - pale head and neck etc.

At long last have firecrest for the year. A tit flock flew east past the gap at Holkham. Six goldcrests flew into a conifer. Not many of these this autumn. Then a short close view of the firecrest with the flock. Saw it didn't have the obvious eye of goldcrest before it (sorry he: it was a male!) appeared hopping along the branch and after a short while flew away.

Listing
Have to admit both the firecrest and slav grebe were year ticks. Have dipped both before.

Yes I was more delighted with the SELF-FOUND firecrest than the slav plus all the other good birds: red-necked grebe, great northern diver, close guillemot, eiders and many, all common? scoters with 14 shorelarks on the way back, nor forgetting 5 snow buntings briefly.

Best morning's birding in ages. Still need little auk - well done Rob W!

As for black-necked grebe....?

Last edited:
Extreme long shot...but thought to give it ago anyway!!

I learnt this evening of a friend of a friend who recently (approx three weeks ago) lost his compact digital camera with case on one of the paths around Holkham area, the pictures stored on the SD card of a previous holiday in Australia where obviously of more value to the owner than the camera itself so if anyone has any information please PM!!

Cheers

Matt

My computer REALLY playing up this evening, impossible to get on the internet the last few days, crashes continuously - every time I log on to a site it crashes and have to restart the whole computer (I have a mac) Just upgraded my pipex package from 2MB TO 8MB today and to have a Wireless Router instead, so hopefully (fingers crossed) it may improve. In fact it has been crashing every time I use it for weeks/months, but its just got a lot worse the last few days - wanted to throw the whole lot out of the window yesterday:C

Saturday

Was going to try and see the Ring Necked Duck today but had to sort my computer etc out this morning.

This afternoon at Holkham - thousands of Common Scoter all going west along horizon past the wind turbines. About 17 grebes on sea altogether, think they were great crested after a lot of studying in bad light. 1 Gannet going west and a massive 70+ Snow Bunting flock going back and forth across the beach at 3.45pm. Also Tawny Owl heard in pines. Didn't see any shorelarks.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Doing the BTO Atlas stuff in the last couple of years has really made me look at and learn the 10km sq of TF63 on my doorstep, which I thought I knew but it's yielded quite a few surprises.

Irene

You might like a look at this then
http://www.norfolkbutterflies.co.uk/maps/tf63.shtml

A work in progress and not yet on the menu's, but if you type in the grid ref you can get any square in norfolk.

Ring neck duck

Any news on the Ring necked Duck at Wroxham please today and directions?;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

The duck is on wroxham broad if you come into wroxham on the A1151 go over the railway bridge and up to the mini roundabout take the right hand turn and follow the road untill you come to turn off on the left hand side the sign says wroxham broad follow this down to where the road comes to a t junction the road on the right is private but joe public can drive down it to a small car park (pay and display) this is the spot for the duck

I did once ask you at strumpshaw fen for directions to see goshawk at thetford but you said it was a sensitive site and could not tell me how to get there so i hope you are not going to bag the duck for the pot

cheers Nick ;)

You might like a look at this then
http://www.norfolkbutterflies.co.uk/maps/tf63.shtml A work in progress and not yet on the menu's, but if you type in the grid ref you can get any square in norfolk.

Many thanks for that - an excellent resourcse. I've added a few species on there already I think and will try to add some more records as I go along, and to other squares as well. Although I've got it easy with my Atlas square as half of it is out in the Wash!

Irene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back