• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with red bird ID in Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA (1 Viewer)

KellyVance

I've lived here for thirty years and have never seen this bird before. I've tried my bird ID book and can't find anything that looks like it. HELP!

A cardinal is on the left, the mystery bird is on the right.

I apologize for the photo--it was taken through two panes of glass and a screen. But you can see that the bird in question is tiny compared to a cardinal. The female comes often as well, and is totally brown.

Thanks for your help.
~Kelly

Attachments

• DSC05973.JPG
    DSC05973.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
KellyVance said:
I've lived her for thirty years and have never seen this bird before. I've tried my bird ID book and can't find anything that looks like it. HELP!

A cardinal is on the left, the mystery bird is on the right.

I apologize for the photo--it was taken through two panes of glass and a screen. But you can see that the bird in question is tiny compared to a cardinal. The female comes often as well, and is totally brown.

Thanks for your help.
~Kelly
i call them red finches but i think the real name is Purple Finch..LOL

streatham said:
Hi Kelly,

It's a male House Finch.

Luke

Luke, is it common for them to be this skinny? He's really thin, which is why I discounted the finch originally. The female is thin as well. Or is it a summer thing?

Attachments

• DSC05975.JPG
    DSC05975.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 159
Hi Kelly and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Yes, that is a male House Finch. ;)

KellyVance said:
Luke, is it common for them to be this skinny? He's really thin, which is why I discounted the finch originally. The female is thin as well. Or is it a summer thing?

Birds do tend to look thinner in hot weather as they flatten their pelage to release heat, but I don't see this bird looking particularly thinner than I'd expect.

Scott

Agree with Scott, just a slicked-down, probably overly warm, male House Finch.

I addition to the heavy streaking, look at the way the color pattern forms on the head. In House Finch, you'll only see the color on the forehead and over the eyes -- never on the crown (as in Purple Finch or, in the west, Cassin's Finch). Even in the photo, you can see where there are brown feathers showing on the crown above the red "eyebrow." There are other ID differences between Purple and House, but looking at how the head color is distributed is the easiest (IMHO) especially if you can only see the upper side of the bird (as when they're ground-feeding).

Good shot to compare the sizes between these two species. It's often so hard to judge relative sizes when seeing birds individually. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back