• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan in august; storks & spoonbills (1 Viewer)

ralph21

Hello everyone.

I am making a trip to Yucatan in august 2019.
I'm looking for some advice regarding seeing a few specific species.
Mostly I would really like to see
* Jabiru (I know this one is very rare, but still worth to ask about it)
* Wood stork
* Roseate spoonbill
* Limpkin
Are there places where I could see any of these species in the month of august?
Other species I'd be interested in are sungrebe, reddish egret and tricolored heron.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Go to https://ebird.org/home - click explore - species maps - downwards arrow next to "Year round-All years" and select last 10 years and choose Aug to Aug for month. Then choose each species. On the right side choose show points sooner.

Niels

Thank you, that will be useful!

I will be starting the trip in Cancun and finish in Playa del Carmen.
Anyone has any tips for birding in the areas of those places?

Will be visiting Cozumel too.
Any tips on finding the endemics, like Cozumel emerald and Cozumel Racoon would be appreciated too.

I think Jabiru is close to impossible in Yucatan. You would need to travel south to the usumancinta River to have a realistic Chance.
Roseate Spoonbill and Wood Stork are not uncommon in the coastal Magroves.
Celestun or Rio Lagartos are good Spots as well as Cozumel itself.
Limpkin can be tricky. But Laguna Coba was a very good spot for this bird.
Cozumel endemics including Racoon and Pecari have been surprisingly easy for us (but in March) We jsut took a taxi to the country club in the North of the Island and walked our way down to the water treatment.

I think Jabiru is close to impossible in Yucatan. You would need to travel south to the usumancinta River to have a realistic Chance.
Roseate Spoonbill and Wood Stork are not uncommon in the coastal Magroves.
Celestun or Rio Lagartos are good Spots as well as Cozumel itself.
Limpkin can be tricky. But Laguna Coba was a very good spot for this bird.
Cozumel endemics including Racoon and Pecari have been surprisingly easy for us (but in March) We jsut took a taxi to the country club in the North of the Island and walked our way down to the water treatment.

To add to that info on your hit list, if you want to see Sungrebe, the lake alongside the road to Calakmul ruins may be your best bet (site details in my linked report)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back