• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII... new (1 Viewer)

APS... you've done the math and are right-on. It looks like I can't lose at this point.

I'll keep you all posted.

Ok Nikon E2 owners... I need your help!

Nikon returned these a couple day ago and said there was an alignment issue and that they were repaired.

Knowing Nikon repair I'd belive it when I see it.

Drum roll............. still binds near the limit of close focus. Figures!

The issue is, if I close focus to the limit, then focus out to 100ft, then focus back to close limit as I turn the focus wheel it tightens up and stops at say... 40 ft. At this point if I give the focus wheel a quick flick in the opposite direction I can then bring it to close limit again. When it binds, I can see (looking down from the top) the two eye pieces are not exactly even with each other. My guess is the little flick in the opposite direction is just enough to align the eyepieces so it moves freely again.

It's a little quirk and I almost believe that this is the way porros must work.

Can any other Nikon E2 owners tell me if this is common with the model?

I'd like to know if this is common.

Cheers,

Oleaf

Thanks Mooreorless.

That's what I thought. Looks like I might send them back.
Kind of sad as I really liked these. But mad the retailer sold these as new.
The box was beat up, as were the nikon manuals. I bet these were the
plaything of the owner or an employee and they just figured they would
sell them as new if someone showed some interest (especially since I bought
them over the phone)

Buyer beware I guess. Hope they refund my $$$$$

Cheers

One more thought.

I just noticed that this binding only happens when I have them up to my eyes.
Since I were glasses I have to press these against my face with some heavy pressure
to see the full view and I wonder if that makes these bind at the end of the close focus travel?

Doesn't seem to do this when I hold them away from my face. (maybe that's why Nikon didn't really fix them?)

Can anyone test their E2 binos? I might place 3lbs of pressure on them when pressed against my face.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well Oleaf that makes this an all new issue here and could be all the difference in the world why you are having trouble.
Steve

I just noticed that this binding only happens when I have them up to my eyes. Since I were glasses I have to press these against my face with some heavy pressure
to see the full view and I wonder if that makes these bind at the end of the close focus travel?
I wear glasses and press them to get most of the FOV, but I experience no binding. I've only had good experiences with Nikon binocular repair, so I expect they could fix them if directed as to how to duplicate the problem.

--AP

Hi Alexis,

I gave them very good directions about the problem. You really have to use them at the minimum focus to find the problem. And it is not happining 100%... maybe 50%.

If the retailer won't take them back I'll offer them on the forum (for what I paid $318). I think the eye relief is taking it's toll on me. Plus I've got a big mark on my nose where my glasses are hitting when I push them against my face.

Cheers

Ok Nikon E2 owners... I need your help!

Nikon returned these a couple day ago and said there was an alignment issue and that they were repaired.

Knowing Nikon repair I'd belive it when I see it.

Drum roll............. still binds near the limit of close focus. Figures!

The issue is, if I close focus to the limit, then focus out to 100ft, then focus back to close limit as I turn the focus wheel it tightens up and stops at say... 40 ft. At this point if I give the focus wheel a quick flick in the opposite direction I can then bring it to close limit again. When it binds, I can see (looking down from the top) the two eye pieces are not exactly even with each other. My guess is the little flick in the opposite direction is just enough to align the eyepieces so it moves freely again.

It's a little quirk and I almost believe that this is the way porros must work.

Can any other Nikon E2 owners tell me if this is common with the model?

I'd like to know if this is common.

Cheers,

Oleaf

Mine are as smooth as can be. It sounds like nikon found another probl;em and fixxed it. You might give them a call and explain the situation. the tech may not have been looking for a binding sensation in the focuser. Could be some dinged threads.

One more thought.

I just noticed that this binding only happens when I have them up to my eyes.
Since I were glasses I have to press these against my face with some heavy pressure

Doesn't seem to do this when I hold them away from my face. (maybe that's why Nikon didn't really fix them?)

Can anyone test their E2 binos? I might place 3lbs of pressure on them when pressed against my face.

Cheers
You are simply applying excessive pressure to an EXTERNAL focus mechanism. Eye relief on this model is short and, for you, inadequate.
If you like the E2 view, the SE 8X32 might be your binocular. Eye relief on the SE is generous and the view is phenomenal.

Good luck,
John

Hi John,

No I'm not applying excessive pressure. Now, I find as I reach close focus (and it binds) from the top view the eyecups are 2mm to 3mm off plane. Since I believe these were dropped (as discussed earlier) I think the problem is in the eyepiece slider. Maybe one is slightly bent?

This will happen 5-6 times out of ten so maybe it didn't exhibit this at Nikon repair.

They said they'll try again and pay shipping to boot. I think we'll get it.

cheers

Hi John,

No I'm not applying excessive pressure. Now, I find as I reach close focus (and it binds) from the top view the eyecups are 2mm to 3mm off plane. Since I believe these were dropped (as discussed earlier) I think the problem is in the eyepiece slider. Maybe one is slightly bent?

This will happen 5-6 times out of ten so maybe it didn't exhibit this at Nikon repair.

They said they'll try again and pay shipping to boot. I think we'll get it.

cheers

Can you replicate the binding with the glasses away from your face?

The 8x30 EII's are at Nikon but I did find what was happening.

If any pressure (even very little) is applied to the left eyepiece when extending to
close focus, the focus knob will bind. Every time. I did this by applying my finger
while winding the focus knob out.

Does not happen on the right eyepiece. Even if I apply a lot of pressure.

Something's not right... we'll find out.

In the meantime I bought a pair of demo Meopta 7x42's at a great price (I could not pass on).

Problem solved!

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back