• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did I get my EDG II 8x42 at a bargain? (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
I hailed from Singapore and started seriously looking for a top-end binoculars in late April this year. After reading many reviews in birdforum.net and other websites, I shortlisted the Nikon EDG 8x42 and Swarovski EL 8.5x42.

By then, the US$500 discount offer for EDG Bins in B&H had already lapsed. The current prices of the EDG and Swarovski at B&H, Eagle Optics and Adorama are US$2,399.95 and US$2,429. With such a small price differential, I would have taken the Swarovski. However, to buy the bin at US sites, I would have to get it sent to my US friend's address who would then handcarry it to Singapore for me (God know when). Furthermore, these sites are not authorized to ship Swarovski bin to Singapore and only Adorama will ship the Nikon EDG to Singapore.

A very reputable sport optics and camera vendor in Singapore quoted me approx. US$2,500 for the EDG and US$2,350 for the Swarovision. Based on the pricings in Singapore, the choice is clear - I would grab the Swarovski which is cheaper.

Then I remembered someone told me that sport optics are cheaper in Hong Kong. If you handcarry the bin back (Hong Kong is a popular holiday destinations for Singaporeans), you could avoid paying shipping also the 7% Goods and Services Tax.

I asked my Hong Kong birding friends for the prices and they refer me to http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/product/7271 for the Swarovision and http://www.grandeye.com.hk/nikon.html for the EDG.

The prices for the Swarovision and EDG are HK$17,582.25 (approx. US$2,290) and HK$13,800 (approx. US$1,800) respectively for these two websites.

I could not believe that the EDG can be so cheap when compared to the US sites and also the local vendor in Singapore. So I decided on the Nikon EDG.

I was skeptical though whether I could really get such a good deal (could it be a hoax?) but nevertheless contacted the Hong Kong vendor who agreed to lower the price to HK$13,500 (approx. US$1,750) if I pay in cash. I accepted the offer but told the vendor I first needed to find friends who may be going to Hong Kong for holidays to be my binocular mule.

Coincidentally, my brother-in-law was bringing his family for a short holiday in Hong Kong last weekend and agreed to handcarry the EDG back for me. The vendor even agreed to deliver the EDG to his hotel (for just an additional HK$100) as my in-law could not find time to make a trip to the vendor's shop/office.

I printed photo images of the EDG II and also EDG I and pass it to my in-laws so that he would inspect the binoculars thoroughly before making payment and receiving the item.

I have just collected the Nikon EDG II 8x42 from my in-law who just touched down from the plane. It was indeed a new set with only 1-year Nikon international warranty (which the vendor had informed me earlier).

I am really happy as I got a brand new EDG II bin at a bargain price of just US$1,750 which is even lower than the offer price at US sites in Apirl which was US$1,899.95:king:

Attachments

• IMG-20120613-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20120613-WA0000.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 527648_430635843634139_405100346_n.jpg
    527648_430635843634139_405100346_n.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 286
I hailed from Singapore and started seriously looking for a top-end binoculars in late April this year. After reading many reviews in birdforum.net and other websites, I shortlisted the Nikon EDG 8x42 and Swarovski EL 8.5x42.

By then, the US$500 discount offer for EDG Bins in B&H had already lapsed. The current prices of the EDG and Swarovski at B&H, Eagle Optics and Adorama are US$2,399.95 and US$2,429. With such a small price differential, I would have taken the Swarovski. However, to buy the bin at US sites, I would have to get it sent to my US friend's address who would then handcarry it to Singapore for me (God know when). Furthermore, these sites are not authorized to ship Swarovski bin to Singapore and only Adorama will ship the Nikon EDG to Singapore.

A very reputable sport optics and camera vendor in Singapore quoted me approx. US$2,500 for the EDG and US$2,350 for the Swarovision. Based on the pricings in Singapore, the choice is clear - I would grab the Swarovski which is cheaper.

Then I remembered someone told me that sport optics are cheaper in Hong Kong. If you handcarry the bin back (Hong Kong is a popular holiday destinations for Singaporeans), you could avoid paying shipping also the 7% Goods and Services Tax.

I asked my Hong Kong birding friends for the prices and they refer me to http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/product/7271 for the Swarovision and http://www.grandeye.com.hk/nikon.html for the EDG.

The prices for the Swarovision and EDG are HK$17,582.25 (approx. US$2,290) and HK$13,800 (approx. US$1,800) respectively for these two websites.

I could not believe that the EDG can be so cheap when compared to the US sites and also the local vendor in Singapore. So I decided on the Nikon EDG.

I was skeptical though whether I could really get such a good deal (could it be a hoax?) but nevertheless contacted the Hong Kong vendor who agreed to lower the price to HK$13,500 (approx. US$1,750) if I pay in cash. I accepted the offer but told the vendor I first needed to find friends who may be going to Hong Kong for holidays to be my binocular mule.

Coincidentally, my brother-in-law was bringing his family for a short holiday in Hong Kong last weekend and agreed to handcarry the EDG back for me. The vendor even agreed to deliver the EDG to his hotel (for just an additional HK$100) as my in-law could not find time to make a trip to the vendor's shop/office.

I printed photo images of the EDG II and also EDG I and pass it to my in-laws so that he would inspect the binoculars thoroughly before making payment and receiving the item.

I have just collected the Nikon EDG II 8x42 from my in-law who just touched down from the plane. It was indeed a new set with only 1-year Nikon international warranty (which the vendor had informed me earlier).

I am really happy as I got a brand new EDG II bin at a bargain price of just US$1,750 which is even lower than the offer price at US sites in Apirl which was US$1,899.95:king:

SeeToh,

Congratulations! on your new EDG and kudos to your "binocular mules" for retrieving it. :)

Glad to hear you got a good price. I suspect your EDG was "old stock" that was on the shelf before the tsunami hit and caused price aftershocks on Japanese products. The dealer could have taken advantage of that and raised the price since not even I am keeping track of EDG serial #s (inside joke) so there's no way to know if they were produced pre- or post-tsunami.

Not to imply they were water logged or anything, but rather it appears that Nikon raised prices on its Japanese-made optics to make up for shortfalls elsewhere and perhaps due to the pent up demand for Japanese-made products after the tsunami the way there was with Japanese-made cars, whose prices went up.

Buyers who are patient in the U.S. might eventually be able to purchase an EDG II for what you did if they are willing to wait for Nikon to recover its losses and for supply to catch up with demand.

So let us know how you like them. What other bins do you have, how do the EDGs compare?

Brock

SeeToh,

Congratulations! on your new EDG and kudos to your "binocular mules" for retrieving it. :)

Glad to hear you got a good price. I suspect your EDG was "old stock" that was on the shelf before the tsunami hit and caused price aftershocks on Japanese products. The dealer could have taken advantage of that and raised the price since not even I am keeping track of EDG serial #s (inside joke) so there's no way to know if they were produced pre- or post-tsunami.

Not to imply they were water logged or anything, but rather it appears that Nikon raised prices on its Japanese-made optics to make up for shortfalls elsewhere and perhaps due to the pent up demand for Japanese-made products after the tsunami the way there was with Japanese-made cars, whose prices went up.

Buyers who are patient in the U.S. might eventually be able to purchase an EDG II for what you did if they are willing to wait for Nikon to recover its losses and for supply to catch up with demand.

So let us know how you like them. What other bins do you have, how do the EDGs compare?

Brock

The serial number of my EDG is 300449 if you can make sense of ito:D

There is also a questionnaire/survey form in the box (with free postage to Japan) whereby it was stated that 6 duly-filled forms picked from all the entries received will stand to win a Nikon compact digital camera (closing date Sep 2012). The first draw (3 winners) was made in 2011 and the 2nd draw this year after the closing date. Dunno whether one could tell from this survey form whether it is pre or post Tsunami stock:king:

I was previously using the discontinued Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and the EDG is a huge step up for me. Everything looks such much brighter, clearer and better via the EDG. I purchased a Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope September last year which I am using primarily for digiscoping.

I will be using the EDG at the upcoming Fraser Hill (in Malaysia) International Bird Race from 23-24 June 2012. Hopefully I could compare the EDG with the bins (predominantly Swarovski and Leica) used by the other participants there.

In Asia, the top-end birding binocular is dominated by Swarovski ie any serious birder who could afford an alpha bin would probably chose a Swarovski without bothering to check out other similarly good brands.

When I shared with my birding friends (many whom are photographers) about getting the EDG bin, many tried to convince me to get a Swarovski instead even though they have not gotten their hands on a EDG or even a Swarovski before:C The power of brand preception coming into play;)

Congratulations. Don't worry about other people's opinions. If you like them enjoy. The price is good at this point time. The EDG is a very easy view.

There is also a questionnaire/survey form in the box (with free postage to Japan) whereby it was stated that 6 duly-filled forms picked from all the entries received will stand to win a Nikon compact digital camera (closing date Sep 2012). The first draw (3 winners) was made in 2011 and the 2nd draw this year after the closing date. Dunno whether one could tell from this survey form whether it is pre or post Tsunami stock:king:

I was previously using the discontinued Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 and the EDG is a huge step up for me. Everything looks such much brighter, clearer and better via the EDG. I purchased a Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope September last year which I am using primarily for digiscoping.

I will be using the EDG at the upcoming Fraser Hill (in Malaysia) International Bird Race from 23-24 June 2012. Hopefully I could compare the EDG with the bins (predominantly Swarovski and Leica) used by the other participants there.

In Asia, the top-end birding binocular is dominated by Swarovski ie any serious birder who could afford an alpha bin would probably chose a Swarovski without bothering to check out other similarly good brands.

When I shared with my birding friends (many whom are photographers) about getting the EDG bin, many tried to convince me to get a Swarovski instead even though they have not gotten their hands on a EDG or even a Swarovski before:C The power of brand preception coming into play;)

i will most likely be at the Fraser's hill bird race too and is it possible for you to PM me the shop's contact . i am planning to get the new victory hts but if i do not like the view i will get the edg

SeeToh,

I only had one other EDG serial # from a 10x42 EDG I, but forgot to transfer that to computer. It's probably somewhere in my stack of notebooks. However, from your low number, I would guess that Nikon switched its first three digit serial # scheme when it changed over to the EDG II (300xxx).

EDG I owners can chime in here and comment on that if they still have them. There were a lot of defects with the EDG I (loose focuser knobs and diopters), so many were returned and replaced by EDG IIs. This was the cause of Nikon's late start with the EDG in Europe, which they didn't release there, perhaps that was also the case in Asia. The U.S. might have been the only test market for the EDG I.

I wonder why Zeiss FLs aren't popular over there, only Swaros and Leicas? I thought Zeiss was universally recognized as being "the best" (or at least it was until dennis sold his 8x32 Zeiss and bought an 8x32 EDG :).

It is ironic, I think, that Nikon, which is headquartered in Asia, has not done a better job promoting the EDG over there. They could be still trying to catch up after the re-release of the EDG.

After trying other brands at Fraser Hill, you will probably find the EDG is every bit as good as "the other guys" and in some ways better.

Do you know horukuru from these forums? He leads birding trips in Sabah, I think. I wonder if he's going to be in "the race" too? He was waiting to get an EDG, don't remember if he received his yet.

Maybe you should contact Nikon and ask if they will sponsor you. They might give you a Nikon hat, shirt, some accessories, and some money for expenses. Good exposure for them at a major Asian birding event. I would suppose they will have a booth and representative there, but in case not, you could be their "boots on the ground".

Moving up from the Monarch to the EDG should give you the "edge" in the race, but as I found out from attending a birding event where the birder with the cheapest binoculars ($200) identified more birds than his fellow birding club members who had Swarovskis, it's not just about optics, you need experience and good ears to "win the race".

Good Luck! at Fraser Hill.

Brock

Hi Brock

There are more bird photographers in Singaproe that birders (or birdwatchers). The number of photographers (most dun even carry a bin with them) is still on the increase but the same could not be said about birders though.

Among the serious birders (most belonging to the Nature Society of Singapore's Bird Group), I would confidently say that over three-quarter of them are using Swarovski binoculars or scopes. A few uses Leica but have not seen any local birder using Zeiss Fl binocular. May be the authorized Swarovski agent in Singapore gave them a good dealo:D

I could not say much about the situation in Malaysia but a photographer friend of mine who recently visited Hong Kong (where there appeared to be a strong rivalry between birders and photographers) that one is being stereotyped as a birder as long as he or she owns a Swarovski binoculars.

It is disappointing to note that not much marketing of the EDG range has been done by Nikon in Singapore. The most reputable camera/optics shop in Singapore (Cathay Photo) does not even have the EDG in stock when I made enquiry with them. May be Nikon had conceded defeat to Swarovski in the high-end binocular sector in Singapore.

Next weekend will be the first time I am participating in a bird race. It is also my first visit to Fraser Hill. As such, I am not expecting any great results even though I have been studying the bird list against the bird guide for the past two weeks or so. I fully agree with you that it will take experience and also luck than a top-end binocular to win the race.

Horukuru participated in the race last year with someone from Nikon Malaysia. Duno whether he will be flying over this year for the Bird Race?

I am really enjoying the EDG because it is so much brighter and very suitable for use in Southeast Asia where most of the birding is done in broadleaved evergreen forest where the canopy shut out much light. I could see the birds' details better when they are perching on the shadow of the forest canopy.

Will definitely try to compare it with the Swarovski, Lecia and Zeiss binoculars when at Fraser Hill.

Cheers

See Toh

Horukuru participated in the race last year with someone from Nikon Malaysia. Duno whether he will be flying over this year for the Bird Race?

I'm still on tour and will finish on the 23rd June so might give it a pass for the race this time. But if I can make it, I will be at Fraser's Hill with other member from Borneo Bird Club and Nikon Malaysia by evening the 23rd, then maybe on the 24th during the closing ceremony, we can meet up there :king:

Enjoy your EDG ! I tested it 2 years ago and it was amazing bino :king:

But I'm still in love with my 8x32 SE hahaha ;)

you know what you said is a little racist

dictators are a whole different ball game then the whole world right

Yes, Joe. I should have written "a certain leader in Asia" instead of painting it with a broader brush. I think long-time members knew I was referring to two former US leaders whose photos were shown on these forums using binoculars with the objective caps on.

I'd re-write the post, but the editing time has already expired. No offense intended.

Brock

Last edited:
Hi Brock

There are more bird photographers in Singaproe that birders (or birdwatchers). The number of photographers (most dun even carry a bin with them) is still on the increase but the same could not be said about birders though.

Among the serious birders (most belonging to the Nature Society of Singapore's Bird Group), I would confidently say that over three-quarter of them are using Swarovski binoculars or scopes. A few uses Leica but have not seen any local birder using Zeiss Fl binocular. May be the authorized Swarovski agent in Singapore gave them a good dealo:D

I could not say much about the situation in Malaysia but a photographer friend of mine who recently visited Hong Kong (where there appeared to be a strong rivalry between birders and photographers) that one is being stereotyped as a birder as long as he or she owns a Swarovski binoculars.

It is disappointing to note that not much marketing of the EDG range has been done by Nikon in Singapore. The most reputable camera/optics shop in Singapore (Cathay Photo) does not even have the EDG in stock when I made enquiry with them. May be Nikon had conceded defeat to Swarovski in the high-end binocular sector in Singapore.

Next weekend will be the first time I am participating in a bird race. It is also my first visit to Fraser Hill. As such, I am not expecting any great results even though I have been studying the bird list against the bird guide for the past two weeks or so. I fully agree with you that it will take experience and also luck than a top-end binocular to win the race.

I am really enjoying the EDG because it is so much brighter and very suitable for use in Southeast Asia where most of the birding is done in broadleaved evergreen forest where the canopy shut out much light. I could see the birds' details better when they are perching on the shadow of the forest canopy.

Will definitely try to compare it with the Swarovski, Lecia and Zeiss binoculars when at Fraser Hill.

Cheers

See Toh

See Toh,

I'd like to try the 7x42 EDG. Not sure my pupils can still open to 6mm, probably not, but the "ease of view" that a 7x roof affords may be still worth it. The 7x42 EDG and the 8x32 EDG would be all the bins I'd ever need (not that I'd sell my Nikon porros!).

Is it a requirement that you photograph the bird to verify you saw it or do so many bird photographers swarm to the event because there are many exotic species to photograph? I read there are 247 species in the Fraser Hill area!

Brock

SeeToh:

That is a good price for the EDG II, the quote I have got when I was doing window shopping was HK$17000/US$2179, which is already discounted from the suggested retail price as displayed on the shelf. (More of a marketing decision, rather than supply/demand or costs)

I have got the EDG I 7x42 which I have returned for refund. The focuser suffers from the problems which are well documented here. At the same while owning the EDG I, I also acquired the Swaro SLC new 7x42 and Zeiss night owl 7x45.

I think I like the SLC better. The extra weight really helps to steady the view, the handling also better. It indeed has the largest sweetspot, together with ample ER, very easy for a eye glass wearer like me.

The Zeiss night owl ergonomic-wise is a headache to say the least (reminds me of the Contarex cameras made by Zeiss before it went out from the camera body business), but the view is something different, especially done during the night. It is not a birding bino, it is something else.

Enjoy the EDG II, especially the butter smooth focuser. When new, it definitely feels more sophisticated than Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski that I have tried. But I like the SLC focuser better, somewhat more precise I would say.

Attachments

• 7375932210_f908149d38_z.jpg
    7375932210_f908149d38_z.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
It's a shame Swarovski did away with the 7x i really would have liked to have seen a 7x slc hd!!! But my 7x slc neu is superb and i agree with your thoughts on them! How is the Nikon's sweet spot compared to the Swaro? You said you like the Swaro better and really there's nothing in the image to not like just curious about the Nikon i almost bought an edg I in 7x but backed out because i already had the Swarovski! Bryce...

stereotruckdriver: as far as sweetspot is concerned, SLC wins, that is so even if on paper EDG 7x42 has longer eye relief and appear to have a larger eyepiece diameter. I found it is easy to induce black out on EDG than SLC. It is also easier to achieve quick focus on SLC, that the focus would just snap in, whereas on EDG you would have to do a bit to and fro.

I have also good impression on the Minox 8x43 APO HG which I demo, although it is 8x, not 7x. And I also have to mention the Swaro 10x50 SV, awesome view, I want to get one of that, even if it is a 10x.(can't image the shattering effect on me, both visually and financially, if there would be a 7x42 SV)

EDG has better flare suppression coating, but it tends to cut down the shadow details as well, just as would the noise reduction software in your present day digital cameras, that it would cut down noise at the expense of smearing the details.

The thumb dent is also less effective on the EDG than on the SLC, or on the Ultravid for that matter.

But the current pricing stragety by Nikon would mean that EDG would be last on my shopping list, should I loose control and purchase another pair.

Last edited:
It's a shame Swarovski did away with the 7x i really would have liked to have seen a 7x slc hd!!! But my 7x slc neu is superb and i agree with your thoughts on them! How is the Nikon's sweet spot compared to the Swaro? You said you like the Swaro better and really there's nothing in the image to not like just curious about the Nikon i almost bought an edg I in 7x but backed out because i already had the Swarovski! Bryce...

same here. a 7x42 SV will be a perfect binoculars

Heliar, thanks for the response! The Swaro is just an easy binocular on the eye's and just as easy to use! I'm no longer in the market for the Nikon, it's not high on my list and just more curiosity. Thanks, Bryce...

SeeToh,
Glad to hear you got a good price. I suspect your EDG was "old stock" that was on the shelf before the tsunami hit and caused price aftershocks on Japanese products. The dealer could have taken advantage of that and raised the price since not even I am keeping track of EDG serial #s (inside joke) so there's no way to know if they were produced pre- or post-tsunami.....
Brock
I do not know the present market but in the early 1980s, I bought a lot of camera equipment and sport optics in Hongkong. The prices for Japanese brands could not be matched anywhere else. The abundance of photographic and sport optics goods were remarkable as well. Even the Carl Zeiss Jena outlet in HK allowed me to choose from at least pairs of Jenoptems, Notarems and Octarems though the general practice was to test the demo pair and buy a sealed item. I remember insisting on trying several pairs and the shopowner complied.
To be fair Adorama also allowed me to choose from three pairs of binoculars when I went there in 2001. I looked at the 8x32SE and the Pentax 8x42 WP both favourably reviewed Stephen Ingraham a little earlier.
Chhayanat

Chhayanat

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back