• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of NIkon HG "Sample" (1 Viewer)

denco, no I do not guide over there. 4 of us were on safar. During the mid-day hours when some were taking naps, we would sit around watering holes and watch birds and wildlife. Some of the birds are so vividly colored they look like something out of a cartoon. One, for instance, was a lilac breasted roller....astoundingly beautiful. Africa is an amazing place.

I'm anxious to hear your take on the Toric. Please keep an open mind about the FOV specs.
If the FOV is to limiting for me I will be honest about it but I won't crucify the binocular because of it. It has the about the same FOV as the Conquest HD 8x42. I have two excellent binoculars so I don't NEED another but I will try a few until I find something I like. I would try the MHG if you could get it in the US but Binastro says he prefers the Conquest HD and usually astronomers have a good eye for optics because they are used to really good optics. I had a Conquest HD for awhile and it was very close to my SV's and better in flare control. If the Toric is better it should be very good.

I'd love to try the new Nikon too. Some day maybe. Admittedly the Conquest would have worked better for me if I would have had the replacement extended eyecups that Zeiss will send you. The ER is a tad too short in every Conquest I've tried.....all of them.

I'd love to try the new Nikon too. Some day maybe. Admittedly the Conquest would have worked better for me if I would have had the replacement extended eyecups that Zeiss will send you. The ER is a tad too short in every Conquest I've tried.....all of them.

JG

I suggest that for your face and/or spectacles the ER of Conquest is a bit long, or to put it another way, for you the eyecups are a bit short. The replacement eyecups are a bit longer.

Until I got my current spectacles I never had an issue with ER/eyecups with any brand or model I tried, but these latest spectacles must place my eyes just a fraction closer to the eyelenses of all bins, so I need the eyecups further out a tad. If I put any of my older specs on I am fine with all brands and models.

I used to wonder what was going on with all these folks moaning about ER and eyecups but on the day I got home with my new specs (that are just terrific in all other ways) I found that I was now a paid up member of the moaning club.

Lee

Last edited:
Ghosting.

This list applies to viewing near to a street light or the full Moon.
It really only applies at night for astronomy or maybe birdwatchers observing close to a low Sun, which is dangerous anyway.
Sometimes with the street light or full Moon in the field there is no ghosting, even though it may be quite bad with the light or full Moon just outside.

8.5x44 HR/5 5/10 poor.
8x30 E11 6.5/10 marginal.
10x35 E11 6.5/10
10x30 IS Mk 11 Canon 7/10 usable.
8x42 Monarch HG 6.8/10 fair only. Others have not commented on this, so maybe not a problem for birdwatchers.
10x42 Conquest HD 8.9/10 Superb.
10x42 well used Bausch and Lomb Elite Phase coated old 7.5/10 Fair works O.K.
8x32 Conquest HD 7.2/10 (8/10 upside down). Disappointing, but can be cured by masking the bottom 4mm of the objectives.
10x42 Canon 8.5/10 excellent
12x50 Ultravid c. 10 years old 8.8/10 Superb.(Slight front cell small reflections reduce the score, which otherwise is higher).

I suspect that some Leicas may score over 9/10.
The scale is arbitrary and personal, but may be useful.

The scale is probably nearer logarithmic than arithmetic.

Last edited:
Ghosting.

This list applies to viewing near to a street light or the full Moon.
It really only applies at night for astronomy or maybe birdwatchers observing close to a low Sun, which is dangerous anyway.
Sometimes with the street light or full Moon in the field there is no ghosting, even though it may be quite bad with the light or full Moon just outside.

8.5x44 HR/5 5/10 poor.
8x30 E11 6.5/10 marginal.
10x35 E11 6.5/10
10x30 IS Mk 11 Canon 7/10 usable.
8x42 Monarch HG 6.8/10 fair only. Others have not commented on this, so maybe not a problem for birdwatchers.
10x42 Conquest HD 8.9/10 Superb.
10x42 well used Bausch and Lomb Elite Phase coated old 7.5/10 Fair works O.K.
8x32 Conquest HD 7.2/10 (8/10 upside down). Disappointing, but can be cured by masking the bottom 4mm of the objectives.
10x42 Canon 8.5/10 excellent
12x50 Ultravid c. 10 years old 8.8/10 Superb.(Slight front cell small reflections reduce the score, which otherwise is higher).

I suspect that some Leicas may score over 9/10.
The scale is arbitrary and personal, but may be useful.

The scale is probably nearer logarithmic than arithmetic.
Interesting that the Conquest HD 8x32 is disappointing for ghosting but the Conquest HD 10x42 is superb. I wonder why? Maybe the bigger 42mm objective? Have you ever tested the Conquest HD 8x42 for ghosting? How about the Habicht 8x30 W? I would think ghosting could be a problem for birdwatchers under tough, sunny conditions.

Last edited:
Interesting that the Conquest HD 8x32 is disappointing for ghosting but the Conquest HD 10x42 is superb. I wonder why? Maybe the bigger 42mm objective? Have you ever tested the Conquest HD 8x42 for ghosting? How about the Habicht 8x30 W? I would think ghosting could be a problem for birdwatchers under tough, sunny conditions.

Den and David

Might be connected to the FOV: 8x32 = 420 ft while 10x42 = 345 ft

Lee

D, L, for those 8x32 and 10x42 Conq HD's, they're pretty equal on both AFov and EP, who knows where the differences lie .... probably baffling nuances.

I'm interested in how the Nikon 10x MHG performs and whether it handles CA and glare better than Bin has found the 8x to be .... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to test a Conquest HD 8x42 or Habicht 8x30 W.
Generally wider fields are less good at controlling ghosting.
Also small bodies.
Larger, wider bodies, even longer bodies give makers more chances to provide baffling.
I think it it something of an art as well as a science.
If the light source is very bright say many full moons in a night sky, then any binocular may be liable to ghosting.

Similar problems occurred with fighter pilots trying to see things near the Sun.
That is why they zig zagged if they wanted to survive.
Univex corp., maybe 1940s, I think had a device that could overcome this, but I don't think it was used. I think it used phospher screens?
Even with binoculars in military situations ghosting could be a big problem.

You are correct, James has lots to say about optics he has never laid
eyes on.

He has a tattoo on both cheeks, and it looks something like this.

Jerry

I was only questioning the use of the word ''much'', as in much brighter. Leica's own literature gives the HD 90% transmission - just how much brighter can the HG be - one or two percent - and how is that ''much brighter?''

That is all.

I was only questioning the use of the word ''much'', as in much brighter. Leica's own literature gives the HD 90% transmission - just how much brighter can the HG be - one or two percent - and how is that ''much brighter?''

That is all.

James:

I deleted my post above, it was in poor taste. Sorry.

I did not like your negative posts about Nikon above.

Jerry

Binastro,

Are we to conclude that you now have a Canon 10x42 L IS? If so, would you care to come up with a report on it in the Canon sub forum?

Kimmo

Good point. I agree with you totally. Interesting about the fighter pilots. Kabsetz, on the Canon 10x42 IS-L. Just my opinion but I have had a lot of binoculars and the Canon 10x42 IS-L is in the top two or three binoculars optically I have ever looked through. The other one would be the 10x50 SV and it took me a long time to decide which one to keep. I finally kept the SV because I liked the ergonomics better. The Canon is in another world optically. Superb.

Last edited:
Hi Kimmo,
I have had the Canon 10x42 for a year or so.
The price was good. I suspect it originated from Hong Kong.
I think it had been stored vertically, as initially the IS did not work properly. Being pragmatic I left it for a while.
Because of hints I fed electricity through it for an hour several times resting it horizontally and it now works fine.
It is stored horizontally.
But my hands are not great and it is heavy.
If I need an IS binocular I use the 15 year or more old 18x50.
For Jupiter's moons the 18x50 is unsurpassed handheld at that weight level. Within minutes I usually identify all visible moons even if near the limb or very close to each other.

Because I don't have access to any modern so called alpha binoculars I cannot compare the 10x42 to anything.
It is a superb binocular optically, but my observing doesn't normally mean I use it much.

I agree with those who say it is superb.
Whether it has been improved over the years I don't know.
I understand it is now nearer 42mm than maybe 38mm? of the early ones.

The 8x42 HG seemed up to 10% brighter but I must confirm.
If so, maybe Canon 10x42 85% transmission, Nikon 93%. But this is very tentative.
Optically in nearly all other areas it is better than the 8x42 HG.
The Canon has marked pincushion though.

For a fit or strong person handheld it is maybe unequalled at that weight level. At least around 10x magnification.

In one of the other threads, Kestrel1 posted a link to a German vendor selling the Monarch HG 8X42 for 740 Euro, which includes the 19% VAT tax.

Here is the post .....

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3443342&postcount=43

Here is a link to the sellers Monarch page. Click on the "Monarch" button in the left margin, then scroll down for the new Monarch HG.

http://www.das-fernglashaus.de/Nikon1P.htm

Here is what it shows after running it through Bing translator .....

View attachment 596329

Backing out the 19% VAT tax gives 622 Euro. Using Google Convert, that comes to just under $700 before shipping to the US.

I wonder if this seller will sell to a USA customer without the VAT tax?

As of now, Nikon USA does not even mention the new HG but I would think they will import it eventually. It will be interesting to see if they offer it at the equivalent European price or if they will sell it at a higher markup. If it is to high, then it may make more sense for US buyers to get it out of Europe despite that lack of a US warranty. Buying a used USA copy is probably not a better option because the last I checked, Nikon USA only honors their warranty to the original buyer.

Ask them if they ship to the US. I have bought more than a dozen binos from Fernglashaus in Germany via email and had them shipped into Switzerland, without the German VAT applicable. The store has had consistently some of the lowest prices of all optics shops in the area (Southern Germany / Northern Switzerland). They have been efficient and reliable (no, I don't own any stock ... :) but I have met the owners, Mr. Rieter and his wife, personally before I started buying from them).
Canip

Last edited:
As of now, Nikon USA does not even mention the new HG but I would think they will import it eventually.

Bruce

Nikon at Bird Fair confirmed M HG is being rolled out globally and it is just a happenstance that Europe is getting it first. It is definitely headed for USA.

Lee

Canip ... Thanks for the thorough reply on Fernglashaus. Sounds like they and the pricing is legitimate.

Lee ... I believe you are correct that Nikon USA will eventually be importing the new HG. It seems strange they are not taking advantage of the initial roll out. Well, maybe not that surprising considering the lack of life shown the last couple of years by Nikon USA sport optics. I recently came across a contracted Nikon product rep and he appeared to know nothing about the HG. It will be interesting to see what price Nikon USA ultimately puts on the new HG.

I asked Fernglashaus in Germany if they would ship a Nikon MHG binocular to the USA and here was their reply translated. Clifton Camera in the UK will ship one for around $980.00 though without VAT and shipping. Their information is below if you want to order from them.

From Fernglashaus in Germany

Dear Mr. Mau ,
Thank you very much for your inquiry. Unfortunately we can not provide binoculars to the US (Europe only) .
Best regards

Atelier Rieter GmbH
Paul - Unko Rieter

From Clifton Camera
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your enquiry. We process all overseas orders either by BACS, IBAN or SWIFT transfers. If you have a PayPal account you can use this with us but we can only deliver to verified addresses, whereas other methods can be delivered to an address of your choosing.
There are small fees associated with these types of payments and these will be added to your invoice should you wish to proceed, these fees are:

BACS / IBAN / SWIFT transfer @ £7.00

We will also need to add suitable postage and insurance for your order. The prices on our website are only for UK postal addresses.
Shipping to USA via Air (2-4 working day service) would be £75.00
If you would like to go ahead with this order please can you supply me with the following information:

1. Payment method.
2. The billing address.
3. Delivery address if different from the billing address.
4. Telephone number to pass on to the Delivery Company.
5. Confirmation of product/s (if not yet stated).

Then we will email the Proforma invoice, once this has been paid we will ship the goods to you and you will receive a confirmation email from us that the goods are on the way.
You may also wish to contact your local customs department to confirm if any import duty or local taxes are payable upon receipt of the goods.
If you need anymore information or have any other questions don't hesitate to contact us.

Good Morning
Thank you for your email. The Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG Binoculars cost is £799, VAT will be taken off the cost of the binoculars not the cost of shipping, the binoculars with out VAT come to£665. Cost with VAT and shipping would be £881.
Kind Regards
www.cliftoncameras.co.uk
Clifton Cameras Ltd

Last edited:
Here is another european seller that has the Nikon MHG is stock. The price doesn't have the VAT costs removed.

Dear Mr. Mau,

We have this article in stock at the moment:

http://www.optics-pro.com/nikon-binoculars-monarch-hg-8x42/p,51485

The shipping to the USA costs 12,99 € with UPS.

Best Regards
Macarena Vicente

------------------------------

Astroshop.eu

nimax GmbH
Otto-Lilienthal-Str. 9
86899 Landsberg - Germany

www.Astroshop.eu

Phone: +4981919404961

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back