• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best centre for birding (1 Viewer)

capdegat

We thought of having a change from Majorca this year so have started thinking of Cyprus. Which is the best area to stay as centre for birding please . We will have hire car for full week so travel itself isn't a real problem .

To be honest Les if you're hiring a car then the majority of areas are driveable from any of the main locations? The main things to really consider are the time of year you intend to go and what you would like to see?

BirdLifeCyprus have lots of info for you to research on their website http://www.birdlifecyprus.org/

Shane

Good choice - Paphos headland isnt what it used to be but its still worth visiting. Best areas are all within 10 miles of Paphos so a hire car is crucial but you can just cruise round from one to the other without doing much walking, and all are off the B6 main road from Paphos to Limmassol - Anarita Park (its not actually a park), Anarita Mast area, nearby Agia Varvara, Mandria (though it can appear birdless), Asprokremnos Dam & Coppice, Paphos Water Treatment & Sewage Works (and adjacent fields), Cape Aspro, and then probably best to do a trip up into Troodos Mountains for Crossbill, Jay, Dorothys Treecreeper and local race Coal Tit. All local endemics. Also Limmasol area is easily doable via main A6 dual carriageway.

Check old Cyprus bird reports under Vacational Trip Reports, including Jos Stratfords on Cyprus for a great area for Scops Owl.

Any news on the crimson-winged finch found last week by a visiting North Norfolk birder/photographer. I'm off out there in a couple of days so I do hope it sticks around, though I hear it's unpredictable. Paphos Headland? Cheers,

Pat

Any news on the crimson-winged finch found last week by a visiting North Norfolk birder/photographer. I'm off out there in a couple of days so I do hope it sticks around, though I hear it's unpredictable. Paphos Headland? Cheers,

Pat

Two there today apparently,male and female. Mandria,near the playground.

Two there today apparently,male and female. Mandria,near the playground.

Thanks Pete, connected with them and a great week's birding. Many thanks To Dave N, Colin R and the other ex-pat birders who were most helpful, courteous and good company

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back