• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Sketches. (1 Viewer)

Mackem George

Couple sketches trying to make some head way,seem to have many blank days when attempting to sketch.
Certainly placing detail into a sketch is an area that evades me most.

GEORGE.

Last edited:
Mackem,
a start, but have have you seen the John Muir online tuition which instructs how to place the basic feather tracts into the bird shape? This may help you overcome artistic inertia.

are you trying to work 'live'? start with photos. Copying isnt a sin for learning artists, even Leonardo da Vinci did it. you get a subconscious awareness of form and depth, layers. I haven't seen the tutorials mentioned above by Bryon but I am sure they will do this depth by showing how to get the layers and texture right.

it is very instructive to examine anatomy as well, how tendons fix to bone and skin over and so on, you know then the functions and shapes you are bringing to life.

i am suggesting this because you are using line and outline.

i would try another approach as well, for example, work with charcoal and chalk on a grey paper and don't do lines, more try and scratch in contrast, areas of light and dark. even try it as tones, not lines.

it depends on what you are aiming for, a natural photographic style final pic, or a quick sketch of line and movement to lead the brain to a conclusion.

'birds by character' book i came across has quick line sketches that work well but may not be what you want.

play with many different mediums. have fun. i am an experienced artist in many mediums and they all have advantages and disadvantages, none are best. i do think however that pencils and crayons work less ably until you are fluid at using line quickly and only practise gets that! 'line' is hardly ever 'outline'.

another approach in the field may be to get some basic 'shapes' outlined or even as white shapes on black - look at the silhouettes in collins field guide as an example. then learn the identifiers as pattern using the sketches in Opus that Delia pointed me at earlier http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image:Passerine_head_1.jpg for example so you can quickly dob in the identifying markers and colours.

depends on reason, purpose for sketch and final result you want really!

Last edited:
Hi Bryon thank you for your response just had a look at that site.
This could just be the thing that points me in the right direction.
Many thanks once again.
GEORGE.

Hi Jape many thanks for your contact trying to build up a collection of my own bird photos in order to build from there, certainly take on board your advice especially re charcoal.
Will be great to be able to eventually complete a natural photographic look as oppose to a very loose completion.
Once again many thanks for your kind advice.
GEORGE.

here's another idea just to be different!
take a scanned photo, load it into 'gimp' (free) on your laptop or even basic android gallery to start with.
then apply different 'filters'. i.e. sharpen, contrast, pixellation, posterize just for fun. the filters take the actual photi components and emphasise them, sometimes to distortion but then you just delete it.
thus you get an idea of what a realistic actual image is made up of. you will get edges, lines, area of colour, area of light. after all the eye takes a photo pic which is 2D and sees it as 3D. How?

the brain does a job on you as an impression, it does not analyse consciously as such. you will get an idea of things you never thought of. 'negative' is a good filter as well for this.
play around

and if you really want to go nuts, use a touchscreen. use an outline and select quick 'brushes' and colours and smear them on with finger tip. it loosens up the school taught 'colouring in' which wont do you much good for realistic unless you work in very fine detail.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back