• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX70 .... September (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Just when I was seriously considering the Nikon P900 I hear rumours that Canon will be beefing up the SX60 with the even more mega zoom SX70 HS*in* September. That it may even have a 100X zoom seems utterly OTT given pundits opining that Nikon's "x83" is at the limit .....

Given the long wait for the Nikon, it might be worth giving it another couple of months before deciding to jump ....

http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-sx70-hs/
http://thenewcamera.com/another-100x-optical-zoom-lens-patent-from-canon/

I'm looking forward to the hands on reviews and the user manual posted.

My three SX50's have all developed issues.

I tried and returned the SX60 for several reasons. One was that it was much larger and heavier than the the Sx50. The other was that the Image Stabelization was inferior to the SX50.

It looks like while the SX70 is larger and heavier then the SX50, it's smaller and lighter than the SX60.

I'm looking forward to reports on the Image stabelization and also if it has the SX50 style 1.5 and 2x teleconverters and if they can be set to a wildcard button like they can on the SX50.

I did try the Nikon P900 and absolutely despised it.

I hope that the SX70 is a good upgrade or replacement for my old SX50's.

So Canon has the product up on their website and can pre-order but no user manual yet that I can find.
I can't find a manual either. Photokina has started yesterday. Here is a first hands-on review of the new camera. (No deep insights there... I guess we'll have to wait a while, until a former SX50 owner can tell us more.)

Last edited:
I can't find a manual either. Photokina has started yesterday. Here is a first hands-on review of the new camera. (No deep insights there... I guess we'll have to wait a while, until a former SX50 owner can tell us more.)

Ya. I expect that most of the SX50 users around here will be most interested to know how the SX70 image quality compares to the SX50 at the maximum zoom in some relatively fair comparison. That and the Image Stabilization.

Back when I was researching the Nikon P900 and SX60, most on-line reviews didn't really help on that. I eventually purchased both and returned them both.

There is a fairly lively discussion going on here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61680891 speculating on the merits of the SX70 with one thread focused on whether the SX70 lens is exactly the same as the SX60 lens. Most people seem to think that if Canon has not improved on the SX60 lens in the SX70, the SX70 may not be a worthwhile upgrade from the SX50.

There is a fairly lively discussion going on here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61680891 speculating on the merits of the SX70 with one thread focused on whether the SX70 lens is exactly the same as the SX60 lens. Most people seem to think that if Canon has not improved on the SX60 lens in the SX70, the SX70 may not be a worthwhile upgrade from the SX50.
Given that the SX60's 16MP are noisy beyond 400 ISO, I sure hope they did something to make 20MP on the SX70 actually useful.

The SX60 oddly might have had better image quality if they had left the 12MP sensor from the SX50 and just made lens, viewfinder, etc. improvements.

I think the megapixel wars are counter-productive at some level unless you are willing to pay the money for all the other components to go with it, which is not what this part of the market is about.

An SX50 vs. SX60 vs. SX70 shootout would be fascinating and go a long ways towards deciding whether I stick with my SX60 or save my pennies for the SX70. |:D|

I did my own shootout between the SX50 and SX60 before I returned the SX60. Hopefully if anyone volunteers to do a shootout the SX50 would be included. Some of my results I posted in Dec 2016 in the Canon SX60 in Acton topic.

There appear to be a lot of people complaining that the SX70 lacks a hot shoe and touch screen. That doesn't matter to me at all.

There appear to be a lot of people complaining that the SX70 lacks a hot shoe and touch screen.
Touch screen, don't care.

But I thought my eyes had deceived me...no hot shoe, seriously?

No hot shoe = no sale. I rely on flash to widen my ability to shoot in tricky lighting.

:-C

Touch screen, don't care.

But I thought my eyes had deceived me...no hot shoe, seriously?

No hot shoe = no sale. I rely on flash to widen my ability to shoot in tricky lighting.

:-C

That's what the people in the Dpreview link above say. I haven't confirmed it myself.

Was it the SX30 or SX40 that it had a plastic cap and not visible with the cap on? Could it be the same with this? Perhaps they are assuming based on photos only.

No hot shoe = no sale. I rely on flash to widen my ability to shoot in tricky lighting. :-C

The internal flash should suffice for distances up to 5m. With external flash and/or Better Beamer, in which distances do you get significant improvements, 10m perhaps? Is 15m the limit?

I've occasionally experimented with flash, didn't like the results too much. Often it looks artificial, or "red eyes".

Here are photos of the SX70 from Photokina. The main dial shows C1 and C2. Phew!

I wonder what the letters T and W on the new barrel button are standing for.

No S wildcard button but a * button. Hmmm. I would miss the wildcard button. I set it to toggle the teleconverter on my Sx50's.

I wish they'd post the user manual. If that checks out I'd have no problem buying one from Amazon. I'd have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it or not.

Last edited:
The main dial shows C1 and C2. Phew!

That's good!

I recall trying out the Nikon P900. That's when I learned not to expect a C1 and C2 setting. No ability to save multiple settings on the Nikon. One of several reasons why I hated the thing and returned it for a refund.

Once again, I want to see the user manual. :)

The internal flash should suffice for distances up to 5m. With external flash and/or Better Beamer, in which distances do you get significant improvements, 10m perhaps? Is 15m the limit?
Without the Better Beamer, I've seen results with the Speedlite 480 out to 40-50 meters. All I often need is that small amount of "fill flash" to make photos expose better. With the SX60, the flash is really just compensating for the sensor's limitations when shooting higher shutter speeds; freely admitted. But I like my 1/400 or higher shutter speeds for capturing birds. |;|

I've occasionally experimented with flash, didn't like the results too much. Often it looks artificial, or "red eyes".
I assume you mean "steel eyes" with most birds. I don't use the flash up-close except for hummingbirds, so it hasn't been an issue very often. Up close, yeah steel eyes and shadows/light coming from the wrong direct vs. ambient light is something that has force me to toss-out otherwise decent quality photos.

I don't use the flash very often, but now that I've learned how useful it can be, I couldn't give it up for any advantage the SX70 likely has.

I'm looking forward to the hands on reviews and the user manual posted.

My three SX50's have all developed issues.

I tried and returned the SX60 for several reasons. One was that it was much larger and heavier than the the Sx50. The other was that the Image Stabelization was inferior to the SX50.

It looks like while the SX70 is larger and heavier then the SX50, it's smaller and lighter than the SX60.

I'm looking forward to reports on the Image stabelization and also if it has the SX50 style 1.5 and 2x teleconverters and if they can be set to a wildcard button like they can on the SX50.

I did try the Nikon P900 and absolutely despised it.
I hope that the SX70 is a good upgrade or replacement for my old SX50's.

Opposite with me......i despised the idea of the p900 but was tempted into buying one and absolutely love it now........after gettingvto know it properley.
This new canon is a backward step in my opinion......there isn't anything to get excited about.

On the topic of whether the SX70 has a redesigned/updated lens than the SX60, this is still all speculation but the lens on the SX70 does appear to have differences from the SX60.

The SX70 has what appears to be a circular grip around the base of the lens and it also has what appears to have a slider switch.

Neither of those are present on the SX60.

SX70 and SX60 photo

Attachments

• ps-sx70-hs_1_xl.jpg
    ps-sx70-hs_1_xl.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 85
  • SX60.jpg
    SX60.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 66
The SX70 has what appears to be a circular grip around the base of the lens and it also has what appears to have a slider switch.

I asked above what the letters T and W on the switch could stand for. Does anybody have an idea?

The SX70 lens has "15 elements in 11 groups (3 UD lenses, 1 double-sided aspherical lens)", exactly the same as in the SX60. Not a new optical construction, it seems to me.

I asked above what the letters T and W on the switch could stand for. Does anybody have an idea?
Completely guessing, but "telephoto" and "wide"? I've seen consumer cameras use this sort of labelling.

Almost seems like a preset switch (to switch modes of some sort) or just a second focusing paddle (so you don't have to use the one of the top of the camera?).

But 100% conjecture on my part.

I wonder if any of that change to the barrel means they may have added a ring focuser? If it worked anywhere near like my RX100, that might be handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back