• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagle in Western Ky?? (1 Viewer)

PreacherG

We have had Hawkeye, as my DW has named it hanging around our house all summer. It seems he? is alone. We are in Paducah KY, and the maps I have seen do not indicate this as normal habitat - or even close.

We do not live in city limits, but the neighbor across the street does! Our back yard includes a 50 acre field for crops and a 5 acre lake. The cleared area is surrounded by more forested areas.

This pic is out my back door. He is on a clothesline post about 6 ft off the ground and 15 ft from the house. Other perches include on top of a dump truck parked in the field for a week or two and atop power poles nearby.

I estimate his height at 12 - 18 inches.

The first pic, he is facing away from me, but head turned to look at me.
The second pic is a better shot of the beak profile.

Attachments

• DSCN0270.jpg
    DSCN0270.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0268.jpg
    DSCN0268.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 76
That is a young Red-shouldered Hawk. Note the tail pattern (wide dark bands and thin pale bands). Golden Eagles are much, much larger with heftier bills.

And just to put this into some sort of context, Golden Eagle would sit around 30 inches in height, head to tail, so very nearly double the size of a RSH.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back