• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sorry another basic question (1 Viewer)

Paul E

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so
Having been down to Amberley to see the White Tailed Eagle yesterday and only being able to see the bird with the kindness of several scope owners (my Ultravids just weren't up to the task) I have decided I need a scope. As I have a "big" birthday looming in early March :)-C) I think this may be a good excuse to ease the misery of advancing years by having a new toy.

What I know about scopes you could write on the back of a stamp, but I do think I want an angled scope (I have neck pain periodically) and have a budget of up to £1,000 (poss a little more). What scopes should I consider for general birding? I have some pretty sexy tripods being a reasonably keen photographer so that wont be a problem.

Also and this may be a stupid question but would I be right in thinking that the prices often quoted for scopes dont include an eyepiece?

I know that there are many options and everyone will have their preferences but any pointers would be much appreciated. Having spent a lot of money on some Ultravid Bins and a lot less on some Vortex Viper bins for the better half, only to find that there is little difference between the two, I am conscious of getting good value for money.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,
A scope is a 3 part decision at least, scope, eyepiece(s) and tripod, with the tripod head another element.
Imo, about a third of your budget should go for the tripod and head, because no scope can please on a jittery mount or on a sticky head, plus a heavy tripod will curtail your birding walks.
Some mid range scopes have standard fittings for 1.25 inch astronomy eye pieces, which allows a very wide range of choice, but at the cost of reduced weather sealing.. None of the alphas offer that afaik.
A good zoom lens is well worth buying imo to combine wider field with long range reach, although in truth the magnification is usually limited more by the seeing than the optics.

Thanks for the quick reply Etudiant. I have some very good (light and not so) tripods (Gitzo & Manfrotto) and various heads from my photography so no need to factor those into the cost equation.
Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
If you have the tripod, the rest is function of expected use and weight.
For travel anywhere, the little Nikon 50mm scope serves me well, but it runs out of light around 30x.
If you need long reach, as in sea watching or raptor observation, a big Kowa would probably fit your budget.

The one caution that deserves raising is that the quality of even expensive field optics is quite variable, so it is not possible to simply rely on a brand name for top notch performance. If possible, try before buy, in the company of a friend who is into astronomy and conversant with telescope issues.
Alternatively, kidnap Henry Link for your shopping day;).

Another vote here for the Nikon ED50. It is remarkably good for a truly tiny and light scope. I have one and rate it very highly. I also have the next step up in the Nikon range: the EDIII angled. It is very bright and sharp and extremely sturdily built with a metal body (unlike the ED50). My only real complaint is that it is a little back-heavy and is not the lightest 60mm scope. Ace optics are doing a very good deal on them at the moment, although personally I prefer the 30x eyepiece to the 20-60x zoom. Other people seem to like the zoom, so it's down to personal preference. Here is link to the website:

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web...words//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

While you are on their website you could take a look at the Avian ED82 scope. I haven't tried one myself but they look very good value and the 'Bird Watching' review is quite complimentary. They are rather hefty though.

The best way is to find a good optics retailer and try a few out to see which models suit you.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks Guys that gives me a few pointers. Am going to be in NY at the beginning of Feb so will try and pay a visit to B&H. I really want a scope that will be a jack of all trades, but I realise that it will be a master of none and some compromises will have to be made.

I have come across variability of top brands. I have some Leica cameras and lenses and they are notorious for "issues", and a friend who is a collector has had to return his last three new lenses for recalibration.

Last edited:
IMHO a top notch 60-65mm class scope is the best "jack of all trades" for a combination of portability and optics. The 80-85mm class definitely brings in a little more light in extreme conditions, but in 95% of situations a great 65mm scope will show you a virtually identical image. When you combine that with the decreased weight and size, it's a winning combo.

But again it depends on your particular uses. If all you are going to do is drive up in your car, take out the scope from the trunk of the car and set it up to seawatch or look at shorebirds on a marsh, then the extra weight won't matter and you might as well get a big scope (like Nikon ED82). Later on you could supplement by buying the little 50ED (which will have the advantage of shared eyepieces). But if you will only have ONE, and will do some traveling / hiking, I strongly recommend a 60-65mm class scope.

Go try out some models and see which type you like, at a certain point all the top notch scopes have outstanding quality, so it will come down to feel / ergonomics, e.g. do you prefer the helical focus ring of the Swaro or Nikon vs. the dual knob of the Leica or Zeiss or Kowa?

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

If you go for an angled scope you may want to read this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084

Aiming with an angled scope will be very, very much easier with this thingy attached, and it will improve your enjoyment of birding as well.
I thought I might point this out in the earliest stage, since you wrote you have no experience with a scope; it really helps a lot, as many have attested who have tried it.

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back