• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help With Good Field Guide. (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Think It's about time I got to grips with at least a few plants/flowers on my birding trips. Can anyone recommend a good pocket field guide for a beginner please?

Hi Brian,
I would recommend the Collins pocket guide - Wild Flowers of Britain & Northern Europe - Richard Fitter,Alastair Fitter & Marjorie Blamey.

Well I have been out this morning and come back with the new Britain and Ireland. Liked the style and focus. Bit big for the field but I am sure I will cope! Thanks for bringing it to my attenrion Alistair. B :)
Now I may this afternoon order Raptors of the World over the internet. Decision based very much on Tims earlier recommendation. See how much trust I put in you guys. Don't worry Tim I have read up about it also so if it is c**p I wont blame you only. ;)

It's nice to have 2 to cross reference and the couple that have been mentioned will do nicely - a third one that i still use after a lot of years is the Roger Phillips large photographic guide - its not field-guide sized but again still handy to refer to especially if you are at the early stages and not up for buying Staces !...Loz.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back