• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (2 Viewers)

This is not correct. The choice of prisms *does* matter. SP are the worst choice among relevant roof prism designs (SP, AK and Uppendahl). Check the relevant literature, e.g. Merlitz 2019.

Hermann

If SP this would be a huge disappointment. I don’t think Leitz would do it.

Uppendahl prisms are not really not so much larger than Schmidt-Pechans. They are just a little wider with a lateral offset that the original Leitz Trinovid closed bridge was designed to accommodate. Longitudinally, the two types take up about the same space, so there would be no significant size or even weight advantage in using S-P.

I notice that the close focus in the new specs has been extended from 13' to 18' for the 8/10x40s. That's about what the original Leitz models had. That might seem like a deal breaker to many birders now, but in the 70s and 80s close focus that distant was not so unusual. In those days some dealers (or perhaps it was the Leitz importer) offered a "close focusing" service that shortened the close focus to around 12'-13', presumably by either repositioning the eyepiece focusing elements and/or moving the objective lens forward a little to shift some focus range from beyond infinity. The 2017 specs might reflect an intention to use that same close focus modification which was subsequently abandoned.

I also noticed a spec of 88% light transmission on the Leica store site, which seems modest for a binocular using modern coatings and only ten glass to air surfaces. There's no mention of dielectric mirror coating (or phase coating) in the new specs. Presumably that's an oversight, but silver mirror coating would also explain the relatively low transmission spec.

Last edited:
Uppendahl prisms are not really not so much larger than Schmidt-Pechans. They are just a little wider with a lateral offset that the original Leitz Trinovid closed bridge was designed to accommodate. Longitudinally, the two types take up about the same space, so there would be no significant size or even weight advantage in using S-P.

You're right, as usual. However, why then did the weight of the 7x35 increase by 40gr, and why did they cut down on the field of view? It will be interesting to see some detailed drawings of the new old Trinovids - if they ever publish them.

I notice that the close focus in the new specs has been extended from 13' to 18' for the 8/10x40s. That's about what the original Leitz models had. That might seem like a deal breaker to many birders now, but in the 70s and 80s close focus that distant was not so unusual. In those days some dealers (or perhaps it was the Leitz importer) offered a "close focusing" service that shortened the close focus to around 12'-13', presumably by either repositioning the eyepiece focusing elements and/or moving the objective lens forward a little to shift some focus range from beyond infinity. The 2017 specs might reflect an intention to use that same close focus modification which was subsequently abandoned.

That's very well possible. I had forgotten about those modfications, even though two friends in the Uk had them done at the time.

I also noticed a spec of 88% light transmission on the Leica store site, which seems modest for a binocular using modern coatings and only ten glass to air surfaces. There's no mention of dielectric mirror coating (or phase coating) in the new specs. Presumably that's an oversight, but silver mirror coating would also explain the relatively low transmission spec.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what people think once the Trinovids are finally on the market. Mind you, given what happened last time round I'll only believe they really do exist when I see them.

Hermann

Hello,

Perhaps Leica should start over , with a blank sheet of paper , and bring back a state of the art Porro.

3:)

Cheers.

According to Leica, the only place that you will be able to buy them are the Leica Stores. It appears that they will not be available anywhere else.

No, that's not quite right.

I heard from my dealer today that they expect the Trinovids in early December. They will NOT only be sold through the Leica Stores.

Hermann

The first WOW moment I had with a binocular was waaaay back in my college student days. The binocular was a 1969 version of the 7x35 Trinovid. While I might prefer a rubber armor, a big part of me would like to have a fully modernized 7x35, in leather. That way i could say I came full circle, from the then way out of reach financially old Trinovid to a new one. I thought I was pretty well done buying new binoculars, but I'm going to start toward the $1,250 price. Might have the $$ in hand when they finally come out.

Steve:

I'm with you, I'd like to purchase one of these also. Not sure what size, I have a pristine 10x40
Trinovid and it is so very nice in the hand. I may go that direction so I can do a direct comparison.

I have lots of binoculars, and now am in a selling phase from my collecting days.

The reviews of these will be interesting.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1051.JPG
    DSCN1051.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Fun to see these finally appear after all... but unimpressive FOV (as we knew before) and oddly also, transmission. And rubber eyecups today? What puzzles me is, wouldn't nostalgists be happier buying an actual vintage Trinovid?

Fun to see these finally appear after all... but unimpressive FOV (as we knew before) and oddly also, transmission. And rubber eyecups today? What puzzles me is, wouldn't nostalgists be happier buying an actual vintage Trinovid?

As mentioned the original Trinovid is good, but a new updated model will
make it similar to the newer, brighter optics. That would be great.

The small size, prism design and ergos. of this Leica are very nice, and unique in many ways.

Some original owners may want to go out and use and enjoy their optics, this is one of them.

Jerry

Tenex mentions rubber eye cups but there's no evidence for this yet. Leica gives this in its specs: Eyecup with twist-and-pull action, adjustable with four click stops. Which is in accord with the manual.

The confusion originates from the fact that Leica has never issued pictures with pulled-up eye cups. Possibly because this might distort the likeness to the original Leitz Trinovid. The intriguing thing here is that in Leica's pictures that came with the initial announcement of the Classic Leica Trinovids (with the eye cups down) the eye lens sits notably higher than in the original Leitz Trinovids. See pics. So these new Trinovids must be of somewhat different construction than their forerunners. With some consequences of course.

Renze

Attachments

• Leica Trinovid 8x40.jpg
    Leica Trinovid 8x40.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Leitz Trinovid 8x40.JPG
    Leitz Trinovid 8x40.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Seems like they wanted to do it the right way first with the uppendahl prism design, but something changed to make it too problematic for whatever reason ... that sucks.

Not only that.

I would have bought a 6x24 new Trinovid with 212m field whatever the optical system.

Possibly also a 10x40 with the 7.0 degree eyepieces or, if it suited my eyes, a 10x40 with 8.0 degree eyepieces, as I think some old ones were.

Generally, binoculars nowadays are unimpressive.

I would also be interested in a 16x56 Hensoldt binocular with modern coatings.
The c.1955 one is amazing for light weight, large field, handling and incredible quality.
I think it would be £4,000 if made today. I doubt that there are actually good enough technicians to make one today.

B.

Well that seems a colossal misstep!

I’ve attached a Google Translation of the 2nd link provided by Hermann in post #33 (the information is from Holger Merlitz on the optical site Juelich)

So we know so far, that there are:
- Schmidt-Pechan prisms, and
- seemingly new eyepieces (see Renze’s observations in post #32)

And it’s possible there may also be other optical changes
The point of using S-P prisms may have been to free up sufficient space inboard of the prisms, to allow conventional internal focusing by moving a lens in the objective unit
(vs the original internal focusing by moving eyepiece elements)

The obvious questions are:
- What’s the point of recreating a beloved classic, if it only has the form but not the content of the original? (i.e. the use of current pattern optics of unremarkable specification, in a retro shell), and
- How does this maximise the market potential of what is necessarily a niche item? (are those with sufficient interest willing to buy an ersatz copy of the original?)

It’s not as if Leica lacks experience in offering what can be described as legacy items
e.g. it currently offers the MP and M-A rangefinder 35 mm film cameras, with all the original mechanicals
- How would these sell if they had generic mechanical components? (such as those used in the recently discontinued Voigtlander branded cameras)
- How would that contribute to the Leica brand?

Is this going to end well for Leica? Hmmm

John

Attachments

• from Holger.jpg
    from Holger.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
OK, the cynical side of me now wonders how much of the delay between the first announcement of the updated original Trinovid and this bit of news, is it just the time it took to tweak a the original Trinovid body to simply fit the glass/system of the Trinovid HD instead of the updated uppendahl system? So for an additional $250 do we simply get a Trinovid HD in the old style body?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back