• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (1 Viewer)

Also taking your glasses off before you raise your bins means you can’t actually see what your pointing your bins at. You can no longer see your target.
I’ve been using glasses for over 40 years and bins for 39. At first there were no bins that worked well with glasses. What a joy it was when bins started being manufactured with long e/r and I no longer had to faff around taking glasses off, trying to hold them and the bins while trying to locate a bird that had meantime moved.
Haha, I had forgotten just how bad that used to be. Very annoying when friends without glasses were watching a bird that I couldn’t pin down in binocular view.

Sounds like it'll be something to consider in the event that I ever require spectacles. However I don't have a problem sliding my sunglasses up onto my head and positioning my binoculars even if I were in a hurry to do so.

Also taking your glasses off before you raise your bins means you can’t actually see what your pointing your bins at. You can no longer see your target.
I’ve been using glasses for over 40 years and bins for 39. At first there were no bins that worked well with glasses. What a joy it was when bins started being manufactured with long e/r and I no longer had to faff around taking glasses off, trying to hold them and the bins while trying to locate a bird that had meantime moved.
Haha, I had forgotten just how bad that used to be. Very annoying when friends without glasses were watching a bird that I couldn’t pin down in binocular view.

Exactly ! :t:

(Not wearing your glasses is also a fantastic way to lose golf balls when you hit them out of sight - literally ... ! :) :-O

Chosun :gh:

Exactly ! :t:

(Not wearing your glasses is also a fantastic way to lose golf balls when you hit them out of sight - literally ... ! :) :-O

Binoculars are used to improve your view of the bird or animal.
Spectacles are used for the same purpose. If you use binos, I can't see why you wouldn't want to use your spectacles as well.

Yes it feels odd at first but not as odd as ski-ing or tasting your first beer or asking for that first date.

Lee

Hmmm! As someone who has owned both of those models for an extended period of time, all I can say is that I think he's been at the vintage Trinovid Kool-Aid. About the only thing that I can agree with is the comparison of size and weight. Optically, my 8x42BNs left my older 10x40s for dead.

Well, that's Ken Rockwell. He seems to be on Kool-Aid all the time ...:t:

Hermann

Spectacles are used for the same purpose. If you use binos, I can't see why you wouldn't want to use your spectacles as well.

Yes it feels odd at first but not as odd as ski-ing or tasting your first beer or asking for that first date.

Lee

I tried the "faffing about" method of binocularing for a while - and as boogieshrew said - it was most annoying. Not only the faffing part which really was extremely annoying, but also the blind as a bat part. I could hear things I couldn't see and would have to guess where I thought they were - and that was some of the good points ! :eek!:

I often felt that a big female Wedgie could fly past right in front of me 50 metres away and I still probably wouldn't see it !

No - specs on fulltime is the only way to go for me ...... :cat:

About the only consolation for these whopping great big out of focus eyeballs is that I have been told I have big beautiful eyes ! :)

I'm sure as the rest of my peers start to head towards reading glasses, my eyes will magically self correct and I'll start flying fighter planes or something ! :-O

Lee

Yes, but would this apply for sunglasses? It may for those who require spectacles and use prescription sunglasses?
I essentially live wearing my sunglasses and can keep them on even in low light or difficult conditions due to the photochromic lenses but I always lift them off my eyes and onto my head when looking through binoculars.

Yes, it's rather horrible for any serious person to even quote that article. :-C

Dennis simply mentioned that it was interesting. I'm not sure that means he completely agrees, interesting can have a broad range.
It does appear that Ken is a bit out of touch in that article. He'd likely be blown away by modern top offerings.

Well, that's Ken Rockwell. He seems to be on Kool-Aid all the time ...:t:

Hermann

It seems people enjoy to dislike Ken Rockwell.
Couldn't say I agree with everything from him but I wouldn't let that frustrate me. The guy cetainly appears enthusiastic and his site is quite nice in ways.

It seems people enjoy to dislike Ken Rockwell.
Couldn't say I agree with everything from him but I wouldn't let that frustrate me. The guy cetainly appears enthusiastic and his site is quite nice in ways.

Ken Rockwell does know his cameras and lenses and his reviews are very useful, especially Nikon, they are proven. But beyond that his other reviews are interesting, just like most of those that post on here.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Who wears sunglasses while using binoculars?
I use them very often on sunny days. For the same reason you bought photochromic glasses. Among other things, polarization can improve vision. You should do it too, because prevention is better than cure. :cool:

However, in this case I simply wanted to suggest that in the absence of eyeglasses it is sufficient to use sunglasses to evaluate eye relief. :t:

Ken Rockwell does know his cameras and lenses and his reviews are very useful, especially Nikon, they are proven. But beyond that his other reviews are interesting, just like most of those that post on here.

Dennis likes to way over push his latest purchase, so beware he has a facebook type of persona, to be seen, liked and thrives on attention.

His Leica will soon be for sale.

Jerry

This reminds me of the person who was seen grinning at their ex marriage-partner’s remarriage. Asked why, they said “at least three people here are happy today”

Jokes apart, it’ll be interesting to see whether the takeup of the Retrovid is better than Trinovid HD - on this forum where a lot of people actually their instruments regularly.

I used my Pocket yesterday, the UV didnt make the trip, to ffing heavy. Interestingly the birds didnt scare and came to feed although I was in the open. Maybe theybprefer my silhouette with the pocket.

Edmund

Last edited:
I tried the "faffing about" method of binocularing for a while - and as boogieshrew said - it was most annoying. Not only the faffing part which really was extremely annoying, but also the blind as a bat part. I could hear things I couldn't see and would have to guess where I thought they were - and that was some of the good points ! :eek!:

No - specs on fulltime is the only way to go for me ...... :cat:

When stargazing I would often take off my specs to view, as many eyepieces did not have sufficient eye relief. Even the Canon IS 15 x 50 has 'poor' eye relief. I would put the specs back on to take field notes. But most things in the cosmos that I got my eyes on weren't going anywhere in a hurry.... relatively speaking.
They tended to just drift out of view.

Active birding at close range in foliage is the opposite endeavor. I am ever so grateful that some binoculars are now available that have enough eye relief to comfortably see the whole FOV with glasses on. As Chosun implies, it helps to be able to actually see the bird without the bin before lifting it to one's eyes.
Plus, one can also peruse the field guide without having to make any further optical adjustments.

If you wear glasses all the time, it becomes second nature... almost like not wearing glasses at all.

-Bill

Hi Henry,

Just bought it and it will be taken apart next week of which pics will be made.
For answers on your questions see What if thread, last post.

Jan

Hello Jan,

If and when you do take the Retrovid apart , please let us know how many plastic parts are used in its construction.

Things like plastic prism and lens housings , internal focuser parts and so on , it will be appreciated.

I sincerely hope that you will not find any glue inside 3:) 3:) 3:).

Thank you.

Cheers.

Hello Jan,

If and when you do take the Retrovid apart , please let us know how many plastic parts are used in its construction.

Things like plastic prism and lens housings , internal focuser parts and so on , it will be appreciated.

I sincerely hope that you will not find any glue inside 3:) 3:) 3:).

Thank you.

Cheers.

:t::t:

...Active birding at close range in foliage is the opposite endeavor. I am ever so grateful that some binoculars are now available that have enough eye relief to comfortably see the whole FOV with glasses on. As Chosun implies, it helps to be able to actually see the bird without the bin before lifting it to one's eyes.
Plus, one can also peruse the field guide without having to make any further optical adjustments.

If you wear glasses all the time, it becomes second nature... almost like not wearing glasses at all...

Exactly. And often, more important than seeing "_the_ bird" before lifting the bins to one's eyes, is the ability to see the _other_ even _more_ interesting (i.e. "better") bird that might show itself, as in a mixed-species flock, in the course of trying to see "_the_ bird" that you saw or that your birding companion originally called out. In active birding, it is important to be able to see at all times. Always wear glasses.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back