• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

while making my way back to my car after a walk around tentsmuir point today I had a nice viewing of a little egret flying past me and circling before landing out on the mud,this was about 4.30pm ,the egret flew in from the tayport end,lots of shelducks about plus feeding sanderlings /ringed plovers/golden plovers,1 raven was heard calling ,I have had 2 unusual sightings in the last 24 hours,first one was at 11.35 pm last night ,while driving along the Dundee road into brought ferry at the new 30 mph limit I spotted a fox casually walking along a wall,the wall must have been just short of 7 feet ,not sure how it got up there,the second happened at dinner time today while driving along longtown road, a female with long hair blowing in the wind was walking with her back to me,a carrion crow swooped down and pecked her on the back of the head,to me it looked like the crow was after some easily gained nesting material but the girl was not amused, no doubt there will be something in the press warning the public of the crow menace if it happens regulary

Attachments

• egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 80
Discovered a ringed Herring Gull at Swannie Ponds, Dundee totally by accident. I photographed a 1CY bird in flight and noticed at home that it was ringed and the ring was readable. (Black J7295)

An Argentatus subspecies bird.
It was ringed on 04.07 2014 as a chick at Kvalsvik, Nerlandsøya, Herøy, Møre og Romsdal, Norway (62°21'56"N 005°32'18"E).

My first foreign ringed Herring Gull find (and first definite Argentatus - though I suspect some of the adults around are also Argentatus) and yet another Norwegian ringed gull at the ponds. Very few Black Headed Gulls there now, though green JN69 (last year's Norwegian ringed youngster) was still there along with a handful of others. Looks like the majority of BHGs and Common Gulls have headed for breeding locations. At least 6 Lesser Black Backed Gulls around now though.

Attachments

• DSC_5331 20150321_153836 res.jpg
    DSC_5331 20150321_153836 res.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 62
LOL Barry... you timed that shot well didn't you. Hope it missed you though!;)

It's interesting that these gulls come over from Norway and then seem to hang around for so long. Congratulations on your find lad.

The Herring Gulls spend most of their time on the water so they aren't as easy to check for rings as the Black Headed Gulls which happily stand on the path, so there may even be more than this one ringed bird, though there were a few youngsters stood on the island today. For such a small urban site it seems to draw in gulls from all directions (though with a strong Northeasterly bias).

Hi everyone my first post, I'm not sure if this will be of interest to anyone but here goes. I have spotted what has to be a kingfisher on the Grange burn in Grangemouth, it took me completely by surprise a week or two ago and I have now seen it on 4 separate occasions the last time being this morning. I am disturbing it in the mornings when I go for a run along the burn bank. So if anyone knows where I'm talking about and fancy a look its most often located in the Zetland park behind the sports complex and it fly's off along the burn towards the motorway, and I have once disturbed it there, well where the burn goes under the A905 adjacent to to the motorway. There are some dippers at the A905 as well as a heron that sits along that stretch, although I haven't seen the heron for a week or two. A corroding to the RSPB the kingfisher is extending it's territory into Scotland so I just hope it can find a mate, what are the chances?

Hi runtwit

Well done finding this thread and thanks for telling us what you see on your runs. It's always a good day when you see Dipper, to see Kingfishers as well is a real bonus. You have quite a hot-spot there and shows the river is in good condition.

I hope to hear some more of your tales.

4 magpies in craigmill den today all flying together ,first time I have seen magpies here,2 grey wagtails present one ringed,yellowhammer/long tailed tits/blue tits/jackdaws/wrens /goldfinches also seen,
piper dam
5 whooper swans /3 Canada geese/1 pair of little grebes/reed bunting/several pied wagtails /cormorant/coots /moorhens/tufted ducks,the temperature between here and tullybackhart is usually 2 degrees lower than the surrounding areas for some reason and there was no evidence of coots breeding although others in other areas are already sitting,piper dam is usually the last place I see sand martins (murtons the first seen)I was keeping track of the times but as usual have lost them,i found a dead shrew on the Arbroath clifftop path which looks like he died in the height of excitement (see pic below)I suppose its better than getting snatched by a kestrel while doing your daily business

Attachments

• shrewIMG_1256.jpg
    shrewIMG_1256.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 97
If you should happen to be headed out to the Isle of May today, keep an eye out for the Red Grouse spotted and photographed flying in and landing near the visitor centre yesterday by Gill Howie. Apparently a first record for the island.

I was on the bus down to Glasgow this afternoon and was pleased to see an Osprey along the A9, in Strathearn between Perth and Aberuthven. Brightened up the journey a bit.

Nice one Andrew. I've not connected with any yet.

I think I've got a Starling here that has spent its winter on the coast, as it's been mimicking a Curlew for the last few days LOL.

Had me running to the window the first time I heard it!!:-O

On your home patch - there's a Wryneck singing beside a footpath. You can hear it long before you see it at the top of a tree. The 'singing' is a series of piercing yelps. It took me 2 days to work out what it was.

Great goodness Bendoc... it's years since I've seen one of them. Gorgeous birds.

On your home patch - there's a Wryneck singing ... You can hear it long before you see it at the top of a tree. The 'singing' is a series of piercing yelps. It took me 2 days to work out what it was.

Well, had to go check it out on Xeno-canto when I read that. I think if I'd heard that unexpectedly I'd have been scanning round for a raptor of some sort!

Cheers

James

popped along to inchcape park in Arbroath yesterday to see the Iceland gull that has appeared,it has an injured wing and is limping,its still feeding and is flying ok,saw my first swallows of the year on my way to Arbroath,also saw my first youngsters of the year (coots)

Attachments

• ic1.jpg
    ic1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 43
  • ic2.jpg
    ic2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 52
  • ic3.JPG
    ic3.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 49
  • coot.JPG
    coot.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Iairb.jpg
    Iairb.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 71
25 bar tailed godwits at murton yesterday the water levels are still high covering the islands here,the black headed gulls are waiting patiently to see if they can reclaim there nesting spots,lots of activity from the hide at balgavies, the ospreys are one of the main attractions here and they didn't disappoint,one caught a trout and flew directly in line with the hide,2 male blackcaps were trying to chase each other in the tree to the right of the feeders, still quite a few goldeneyes about a single chiffchaff was at the car park and willow warblers were calling, the heron has a new safer nestsite high in a tree,the feeders were very busy with blue tits/great tits/coal tites/chaffinches dunnocksa moorhen and a single yellowhammer fed below,robins and wrens were collecting grubs ,other birds seen were reedbuntings/song thrush/greylags/sandmartins/tufted ducks/coots/buzzardsa water rail was calling but was not see, a walk halfway around backwater (abandoned due to the weather)produced 3 common sandpipers 2 siskins 2 black grouse 1 grey wagtail 1 pied wagtail cormorants 1 pair of stonechats robins willow warblers common gulls ,driving home in the heavy snow a female wheatear crossed my path and red grouse ran alongside my car on the road just north of reekie linn

Attachments

• bal4.JPG
    bal4.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 82
  • redsq.jpg
    redsq.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9848.JPG
    IMG_9848.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9869.JPG
    IMG_9869.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 45
Slightly surprised to catch brief rear views of a fly-over Swift at Forfar Loch late Saturday afternoon on the way home from a productive birding trip up the glens. Highlights aplenty - Black Grouse, Red Grouse, Redstart, Woodcock, Tree Pipit, Ring Ouzel, Wheatear, recently fledged Mistle Thrush, Red Kite, Common Sandpiper, Peregrine, Raven.

Got a few video clips with the Nikon P900.
https://www.youtube.com/user/stonefaction

Attachments

• DSC_7556 20150502_164302 .jpg
    DSC_7556 20150502_164302 .jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 47
piper dam
2 pairs of great crested grebes,2 pairs of little grebes, swallow/house martin and sand martins/willow warblers/reed buntings/pied wagtails x3/dunnocks/song thrush/tufted ducks/moorhens/coots/woodpigeon/mutes/herring gulls /mallards,
while walking out to tentsmuir point I came across 4 grey plovers 1m/3f ,one of the females looked lighter than the other 2(see last 2 pics)I had a nice view of a treecreeper collecting nesting material in the forest and 2 great spotted woodpeckers chasing each other at the same spot

Attachments

• cgrebe2.jpg
    cgrebe2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 50
  • mpipit.jpg
    mpipit.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 50
  • rplover.jpg
    rplover.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 45
  • gplover.jpg
    gplover.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 57
  • gplover2.jpg
    gplover2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 74
Had a quick drive up one of the Glens this morning and it was full of life. 3 Cookoo being mobbed by angry mippits. 2 Red Kites including R3 from the wing tag as well as grouse and curlew chicks everywhere. Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back