• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Tale of Three Swarovskis (1 Viewer)

I've posted this before but I can't walk past the Habicht 7x42 leatherette version at Bird Fair without picking it up to try. I have done this so many times I know the eyecups and ER don't work for me but its so handsome I can't resist picking it up.

Lee

Although the FOV is narrow for a 7X42, IMO the optical clarity, sharpness, color fidelity and wide sweet spot (>80%) are excellent, easily equaling or surpassing their natural good looks!!

Now, the armored GA version (stout as an armored tank) isn't as sexy, but has it's own rugged beauty to admire and respect! :t:

Ted

I will also add to this discussion, as I have also acquired all 3 of these models, in the past year or so.

They are: 1999 8x30 WGA, 2017 8x30 W, 2015 7x42, and 1999 10x40.
I purchased all of these used, and the 2017 8x30 from a member here.

These are a high quality binocular, with sharpness that is superb. I hope to get more time with
them this fall, as I will have more time then.

I do find that any of these is a great choice, there have been some coatings changes over the years,
but don't be afraid of getting an older one.

The GA armored model is very nice, as I like the extra size, just easier to handle. Also the eyecups on
these is a larger diameter, and it fits my eyes better, for more viewing ease.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1274.JPG
    DSCN1274.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN1275.JPG
    DSCN1275.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 56
Another photo showing the difference in size of the binocular and eyecups.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1276.JPG
    DSCN1276.JPG
    453.8 KB · Views: 134
Jerry,

What are the binos at the bottom of the pile in post#23?
It seems that you used the eyecups of another bino as sunshades for that bino, which is an interesting idea.

Peter

Jerry,

What are the binos at the bottom of the pile in post#23?
It seems that you used the eyecups of another bino as sunshades for that bino, which is an interesting idea.

Peter

Peter:

The binocular I used is the Leica Trinovid BCA 8x20. The ribbed part that
you are wondering about, is the diopter adjuster. No mods to this binocular.

Jerry

Just a quick reminder to all those who find the eyecups of the leatherette models won't work for them:

Get yourself the green eyecups of the rubber armoured models. They are *much* nicer than the far too narrow eyecups of the leatherette binoculars. They make quite a difference to the viewing experience.

Hermann

Jerry,

Thanks for clarification. Diopter correction ring on objective was the confusing thing--- how common is that?

Peter

Just a quick reminder to all those who find the eyecups of the leatherette models won't work for them:

Get yourself the green eyecups of the rubber armoured models. They are *much* nicer than the far too narrow eyecups of the leatherette binoculars. They make quite a difference to the viewing experience.

Hermann

Hermann,

Agreed! Just like Jerry, after installing the GA eye cups on my leatherette 8X30 W, their usability and comfort level went way up!!

Had my interest not peaked for the overall armored 8X30 W GA model, I'd probably not have sold the "contrast cool looking" leatherette! :t:

Ted

Attachments

• 11-Swarovski Habicht 8x30W.JPG
    11-Swarovski Habicht 8x30W.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back