• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact spotter under $400 (1 Viewer)

sixtus

Hi, I was looking for an entry level spotter for beginner level bird watching, some star gazing and short range hiking. Considering the leuplod Sx-1 ventana 15-45 x 60 as it seems to be fairly compact, angled eyepiece, fog/water proof( essential where I am), has the leupold warranty and low/mid range price.

Just wondering if there is anything better at the price point I should be looking at?

have a chance to pick up a used Pentax 65EDII in good condition. Just wondered though, does the fact it has removable eyepieces mean the internals in that area are more exposed to the elements. Reason I ask if anything not sealed and purged here with our heat and swampy air will get fog and mould into it before long. The scope is purged and oring sealed yes but is there anything important exposed when the eyepiece is removed? I don't know how these things are put together so wondering if scopes with permanent non-removable eyepieces may be safer long term. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
I’ve beaten and thrashed a Pentax 65 since 2006 and the seals are still good! Be sure to use a waterproof eyepiece and you’re good to go. I think the eyepiece is the most likely place for waterproofing to fail in any scope - therefore I prefer a replaceable eyepiece to an integrated version.

Of course you need to examine the scope carefully, but I’d jump on a Pentax 65 at around $400.

Best,
Jerry

Thanks folks for the replies! Well the Pentax is sold already, drat it must have been a good deal, ad was only up for a day.

Ceaser, yes we can get opticron shipped to Australia. I got a mini-monocular of there's a couple of years ago. which ones should I be looking at?

Also wondered if anyone has used Kowa's bottom of the line so to speak offering? I'd assume this is their chinese made offering. TSN-501 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349416-REG/kowa_tsn_501_20_40x50_compact_spotting.html I can find NO reviews on it whatsoever , only references to its discontinued predecessor, the TS501. Any thoughts on these for entry level?

Last edited:
Well I'd almost settled on the opticron MM3 50 based on its small size, decent price and excellent reviews. But working out whether its still available as angled, and what the cheapest waterproof eyepiece is for it..

LOL at myself, the waterproof zoom eyepiece is more expensive than the unit. I am too busy to learn all this stuff, and internet forums are becoming the worst places to get information. After 20 years of the same conversations we all have 'newb fatigue' and its one line answers, unless its experts talking about latest releases and vacations then its 5 paragraphs. No offense intended, I do the same things on gun forums where I have been moderating for 20 years. So Ventana it is for now, as per advice on the fountain of enlightenment...Amazon :D:

Last edited:
Are there any detailed reviews out there yet? I had a 601 and CA really softened the image and was worse than I'd anticipated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Are there any detailed reviews out there yet? I had a 601 and CA really softened the image and was worse than I'd anticipated.

Hi,

haven't found any reviews for the 501 yet and I just had some quick looks through it at a show - not really enough for a review.

But the big difference is that the 601 comes with a 20-60 zoom and the 501 with a 20-40. This is relevant since 40x is usually the magnification where image quality in non-ed spotters starts to degrade...

Joachim

Hi,

haven't found any reviews for the 501 yet and I just had some quick looks through it at a show - not really enough for a review.

But the big difference is that the 601 comes with a 20-60 zoom and the 501 with a 20-40. This is relevant since 40x is usually the magnification where image quality in non-ed spotters starts to degrade...

Joachim

Thank you Joachim, that is a really good point that I had not considered. I am sure that most of my negative memory came from mags above 40 now that you mention it.

Thanks,
Nick

After weeks of researching reviews, comparing specs, talking to people and thoroughly examining my budget, I've decided to go with the little Nikon ED 50 spotter and an adapted astro eyepiece. The combination will be here by the weekend, and I'll be sure to provide a full report. Total cost to get me going is $356 to my door.

How does it compare to the Nikon ed50 or vortex razor 50mm?

Can the eyepiece be swapped out for other kowa eyepieces?

Hi,

the 501 has a fixed zoom EP resulting in 20-40x magnification. The example I tried was surprisingly good for the price asked.
Cannot comment on the razor, the ED50 probably beats it as it will be able to go higher than 40x but with quite a bit more investment (the EPs for these are rare and not cheap).

Joachim

Nikon ED50
Vortex Razor 50mm
Kowa 501
Opticron MM3 50

Among all of them which can be better and with what eyepiece? Better zoom or fixed eyepiece?
Wachi.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back