• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2009 Fall Bird Banding, Saint Joseph, Missouri (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

Jack and I began banding some birds about a week ago. We had not gotten very many birds until today. We band at Missouri Western State University here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Birds banded this morning:

GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER - 1 (We had never banded one of these before. They are fairly rare migrating through our area!)
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 1
Least Flycatcher - 1
"Trail's" (Alder/Willow) Flycatcher - 1
Gray Catbird - 2
Northern Cardinal - 2

*netted but not banded, Ruby-throated Hummingbird. (We do not band hummingbirds.)

Attachments

• immature male golden-winged warbler (Small).jpg
    immature male golden-winged warbler (Small).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 96
Three more birds we banded

Can you tell what these three are?

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 69
Not looking at my book for the fun of it, I think the first one is a Chestnut-sided, the second one a Mourning, the third one a young empid.

I wish I could band, I tried to get a banding internship but didn't get it. Most of them are unpayed and I can't live on that unfortunately.

Last edited:
70 Birds Banded This Morning, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Jack Hilsabeck, John Rushin, Karen Lyman and I banded birds this morning on the campus of Missouri Western State University from about 7:15 AM until noon. We successfully processed/banded 70 birds of fourteen (14) species. It was the highest number of birds in one morning's banding for all of us, including Jack who has been banding birds for about 40 years!

1. Nashville Warbler - 36
2. Orange-crowned Warbler - 16
3. Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3
4. American Robin - 2
5. Northern Cardindal - 2
6. Blue-headed Vireo - 2
7. Lincoln's Sparrow - 2
8. Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
9. Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1, hatching year (HY) male.
10.Gray Catbird - 1
11.Swainson's Thrush - 1
12.House Wren - 1
13.Black-capped Chickadee - 1
14.White-throated Sparrow - 1, * first of the season (FOS) for us

We plan on going back out to the university this afternoon to see if we can add to our total of birds banded today.

Two of the birds we banded.

Here are three photos of a couple of the birds we banded. Photo 1 and 2 are the same bird. Photo three is the second bird.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo 2.jpeg
    Photo 2.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back