• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX100 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Hi Neil,
I would be very interested to know if you can use the DCA adapter on this camera, as it will save me a lot of dosh.

Cheers Steve

I shot with the RX100 in less than ideal light this morning and gave the zoom a good stretch out to 100 mm. On the 30x eyepiece gives 3000 mm equivalent with 20 meg files.
Here is a video at 3,000 https://vimeo.com/51517436.
The fourth image is the RX100 at 100 mm and the fifth is the Nikon P7000 at 105 mm on the 25x LER eyepiece.
Neil

Attachments

• digiscoping marshsands roost IMG_2646.jpg
    digiscoping marshsands roost IMG_2646.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 754
  • marsh sands roost rx100 kw30x 28mm crop DSC02113.jpg
    marsh sands roost rx100 kw30x 28mm crop DSC02113.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 808
  • marsh sands roost rx100 kw30x 64mm DSC02146.jpg
    marsh sands roost rx100 kw30x 64mm DSC02146.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 625
  • marsh sands roost rx100 kw30x 100mm DSC02195.jpg
    marsh sands roost rx100 kw30x 100mm DSC02195.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 879
  • marsh sands roost  P7000 kw25x 105mm DSCN0078.jpg
    marsh sands roost P7000 kw25x 105mm DSCN0078.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 923
I shot with the RX100 in less than ideal light this morning and gave the zoom a good stretch out to 100 mm. On the 30x eyepiece gives 3000 mm equivalent with 20 meg files.
Here is a video at 3,000 https://vimeo.com/51517436.
The fourth image is the RX100 at 100 mm and the fifth is the Nikon P7000 at 105 mm on the 25x LER eyepiece.
Neil

Excellent photos Neil... but, now, the video don't work!

I agree with Marsh Warbler, excellent shots. I too cannot view the videoclip.

Mike

Video works impressively well for me.
I'm astounded by the quality of the image for a 3000mm shot. You must have had near ideal atmospherics. Very fine indeed, shows what a great scope and camera can deliver.

I've always liked the Sweep Panorama Mode of the Sony digicams so I thought I would try it while digiscoping on Tuesday.
It would be useful for doing bird counts and checking for flags.
Neil
Sony RX100 and Kowa Lens/scope and Kowa 30x Eyepiece and Swarovski UCA adapter
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,
China.
October 2012

Attachments

• shorebirds roost panorama rx100 kw30x DSC02110.jpg
    shorebirds roost panorama rx100 kw30x DSC02110.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 470
I've always liked the Sweep Panorama Mode of the Sony digicams so I thought I would try it while digiscoping on Tuesday.
It would be useful for doing bird counts and checking for flags.
Neil
Sony RX100 and Kowa Lens/scope and Kowa 30x Eyepiece and Swarovski UCA adapter
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,
China.
October 2012

Outstanding idea!
Hope this kind of shot becomes more the norm when describing birding sites, it could provide a much better sense of the place than the usual one bird closeup.
Meanwhile, real life panoramas such as yours would be an excellent basis for an identification quiz. Maybe a new variant on 'Field work is hard work'.

I've always liked the Sweep Panorama Mode of the Sony digicams

excellent idea! great result! is the panorama made with internal camera software or a specific software like Hugin? swaro UCA is compatible with kowa va3? I think not :-C

Last edited:
excellent idea! great result! is the panorama made with internal camera software or a specific software like Hugin? swaro UCA is compatible with kowa va3? I think not :-C

The Sonys stitch the panorama automatically in the camera.
The UCA won't fit on the Kowa VA3. I use the Vortex PS100.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

I've been following this thread with interest and also re-reading the one you started on the Nikon V1. Would you say you prefer the RX100 to the V1 or is there not much to choose between them?

Obviously the Nikon has the advantage of a viewfinder, but I'm guessing the Zeiss lens on the Sony is better than the Nikon kit lenses?

Thanks a lot.

Malcolm

Sony software

Hi Neil,

Yes the Sony panorama function is really useful, I use it when hill walking. A great innovation of your's to use it with the scope.

Another useful feature of software supplied with the compact Sony cameras, "PMB" or the recently upgraded "PlayMemories Home", is the ability to grab stills frames from video. You can run the video frame by frame and grab an image of choice. This isn't a screen grab, the software actually captures the frame as a jpeg.

Attached is an image grabbed from MP4 video using the PMB software. This was taken with a low end WX7 Sony compact and Celestron Ultima 80 ED scope.The moorhen was stretching it's wing and I grabbed this image at a suitable position.The image has not been manipulated only reduced in size for uploading.

It would be really interesting to see the quality of an image grabbed from high quality 1080p, 50 frame video taken with the RX100 on a high end scope. You should have had "PlayMemories Home" supplied with the RX100.

Maybe something you could try when you've got the time and give us your thoughts.

Attachments

• MAH04826 (1) (1024x576).jpg
    MAH04826 (1) (1024x576).jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Hi Neil,

Yes the Sony panorama function is really useful, I use it when hill walking. A great innovation of your's to use it with the scope.

Another useful feature of software supplied with the compact Sony cameras, "PMB" or the recently upgraded "PlayMemories Home", is the ability to grab stills frames from video. You can run the video frame by frame and grab an image of choice. This isn't a screen grab, the software actually captures the frame as a jpeg.

Attached is an image grabbed from MP4 video using the PMB software. This was taken with a low end WX7 Sony compact and Celestron Ultima 80 ED scope.The moorhen was stretching it's wing and I grabbed this image at a suitable position.The image has not been manipulated only reduced in size for uploading.

It would be really interesting to see the quality of an image grabbed from high quality 1080p, 50 frame video taken with the RX100 on a high end scope. You should have had "PlayMemories Home" supplied with the RX100.

Maybe something you could try when you've got the time and give us your thoughts.

IMHO The quality dependes on settings of video/photocamera. If you rec video at 1080p/50fps every single frame is a photo shot at 1/50 sec (or faster). The question is: can Sony RX100 record video in "manual mode" (i.e I can set manually aperture and/or shutter speed and/or iso sensivity etc.)? Usually compact photocameras records video in "automatic mode"...
;)

Hi Neil,

That's a nice function. I'll try it out.
Thanks, Neil.

IMHO The quality dependes on settings of video/photocamera. If you rec video at 1080p/50fps every single frame is a photo shot at 1/50 sec (or faster). The question is: can Sony RX100 record video in "manual mode" (i.e I can set manually aperture and/or shutter speed and/or iso sensivity etc.)? Usually compact photocameras records video in "automatic mode"...
;)

You can shoot video with the RX100 in their dedicated Video Mode which is an Auto Function or you can shoot in the other Modes P,S,A and M.
Neil

You can shoot video with the RX100 in their dedicated Video Mode which is an Auto Function or you can shoot in the other Modes P,S,A and M.
Neil

:t: thank you Neil... at this point I want to buy it... but I think that max magnification with VA3 + rx100 is 28x, is correct? 14x * (100mm/50mm)
For digiscoping with RX100 is the 25xLER better than 30wide?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back