Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nebraska 2015

Old Monday 16th March 2015, 13:55   #1
Ian Lewis

Nebraska 2015

My wife and I will be in Nebraska staying in Kearney, Nebraska from March 26 - 29th.

Our main aim is to enjoy the large concentrations of cranes and wikdfowl but also would like to ask if anyone has come across any Trumpeter Swans or American Tree Sparrows recently - both of which would be life birds for me.

Yours

Ian Lewis
Poole
Dorset
UK
Old Wednesday 18th March 2015, 01:14   #2
bkrownd

eBird shows a few american tree sparrows along the Platte between Kearney and Grand Island over the last couple weeks.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th March 2015, 01:36   #3
Tero
Retired

You can get them this week, not sure if next week. Very springlike. January, you could get tree sparrow any day. trumpeter swans will be at the big rivers, such as in Omaha. They may be along the Platte, where the wider spots are.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th March 2015, 08:51   #4
Ian Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
You can get them this week, not sure if next week. Very springlike. January, you could get tree sparrow any day. trumpeter swans will be at the big rivers, such as in Omaha. They may be along the Platte, where the wider spots are.
Dear Tero and Bkrownd, thanks for the replies.

The winter only occurrance of American Tree Sparrow over much of the Lower 48 is why it is (along with Baird's) the only North american sparrow I have yet to see.

Do they favour a particular habitat or is there any special areas I should be searching for them in?

As far as Trumpeter Swans go, we had two here in Suffolk in the winter but they were considered to be escapes.

Ian

Last edited by Ian Lewis : Friday 20th March 2015 at 08:53. Reason: typo
Old Friday 20th March 2015, 21:32   #5
bkrownd

Dunno, in late November I generally find them in the same brushy/weedy areas I find similar things like other sparrows, goldfinch and junco. Sometimes I have to stalk them in tall weeds, grasses or reeds.

Study their tseet and jingly calls on xeno-canto.org etc before looking for them. Sometimes their quieter tsst calls are easy to overlook with their tiny little high voices. Bi-colored bill, dark spot on gray breast (unstriped), brown markings on gray face.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/210765

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Spizella-arborea

Last edited by bkrownd : Friday 20th March 2015 at 21:34.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st March 2015, 02:45   #6
LabradorDuck

There are still lots of American Tree Sparrows around, but the weather is now warm and winds are from the south... I will try to post here if I'm still seeing them next week. Otherwise, watch brush piles, ditches, and weed patches for movement as you travel around looking for other birds. Also check ebird or call Rowe Sanctuary to see if others are still seeing them.
Old Monday 23rd March 2015, 22:35   #7
Ian Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabradorDuck View Post
There are still lots of American Tree Sparrows around, but the weather is now warm and winds are from the south... I will try to post here if I'm still seeing them next week. Otherwise, watch brush piles, ditches, and weed patches for movement as you travel around looking for other birds. Also check ebird or call Rowe Sanctuary to see if others are still seeing them.
Many thanks, looks like I have a chance. We arrive in Nebraska on 26th March. That and Trumpeter Swan are the only life birds I might get in Nebraska, the other 12 or so I could pick up are in the Colorado portion of the trip whch starts on April 1st.

If we succeed in seeing all we want to in Nebraska in the first three days we might drive up to South Dakota to see Mt Rushmore and look for Bison. Maybe American Tree Sparrows might be hanging on there a bit longer.

Ian
Old Wednesday 25th March 2015, 02:10   #8
LabradorDuck

Yesterday afternoon (3/23) I saw a group of three Trumpeter Swans at Blue Hole WMA. FYI- this site is marked completely wrong on Google Maps. It is between I-80 and the Platte, directly west of the Elm Creek exit. No clue if they'll stick around, but I thought I'd let you know.

Also, depending on your route to the Black Hills, you might pass through some Trumpeter Swan breeding habitat. I don't know of any sites offhand, but you might find more info elsewhere.

I did have a fleeting glimpse of a Tree Sparrow, but it was not in a very accessible location. Your best bet is probably to check likely habitat and ask around once you get here.

Do you have Great-tailed Grackle? I ask because it's a bird you might not think of for Nebraska, but they are pretty reliable in Kearney parking lots. They just arrived in the last week or so.
Old Thursday 26th March 2015, 01:55   #9
LabradorDuck

Today I saw a Tree Sparrow with some Juncos near the east end of Shoemaker Island Road (Alda exit on I-80).
Old Thursday 26th March 2015, 17:49   #10
LabradorDuck

Swans still present today (3/26). Also, I spotted a few Tree Sparrows along Kilgore Rd just west of the Minden I-80 exit (this stretch gets a lot of use by gravel trucks, so be cautious).
Old Friday 27th March 2015, 03:43   #11
Ian Lewis

Thanks for the information, we arrived at Kearney this afternoon and went straight out to see the cranes. Bitter wind but a real spectacle. Will follow up your information. Shame I didn't check the internet on arrival at Denver last night but was too tired after 20 hours of travel. Lets hope Trumpeters are there in the morning.
Best bird today was first winter Glaucous Gull at Lake McConaughy just east of the dam on the spillway.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: