• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head for Vortex Kaibab 15x56? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Dear all,
since late 2013 I am using the Vortex Kaibab 15x56HD as secondary binoculars during my raptor migration observations together with the Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL as main binoculars and the excellent Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A.
It is very useful to me whenever I search for distant raptors moving in migration; less eye fatiguing than my fine spottingscope and less arm fatiguing thanks to the tripod.
Now the Kaibab is mounted on a regular Giottos aluminium tripod and an old Velbon PH157 head. I am pretty happy with this reliable head: with its rugged and simple design, the short handle, is OK for this purpose but is also 15yo and starts showing some faults.
So I would change it: I was thinking of a Gitzo GH1720QR that would appear perfect but is also pricey for this purpose (supporting a moderate and compact weight, low magnification).
Would you have suggestions of other and less expensive heads that are suited to sustain large binoculars like my Kaibabs?
Thank you

At last, I have found a secondhand Gitzo GH1720QR in excellent+ conditions.

It fits and supports with no problem the heavy Kaibab, is small but steady and very well balanced with the Manfrotto 190 PROL (I have to raise the column a bit to reach the eyeline, however),

Head for Vortex Kaibab 15x56

Ciao ... look at benro stuff, good prices

Ciao Cosme,
I meant that I had already bought that at 150€ shipped...it arrived just yesterday.
I did also consider the Benro products last months, but have been waiting for a seconhand item to come out.
Thank you for your advice however

Head for Vortex Kaibab 15X56

Hello again

the Gitzo GH1720QR I have recently picked up is a very good head and more versatile than I thought.

It can indifferently support my Nikon ED 82 A (see also this BF thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=300096), the Vortex 15x56 and the bigger and heavier Wega 15x70 HQ (an astro model, branded Garrett in the US market): all are very well balanced on the square Gitzo plate GS5370C - despite the differences in size and weight -

I have mounted it on a Triton FCX-5 carbon tripod (1,9kg), so the total weight head included is just 2,45 kg. The tripod can support up to 12 kgs according to the technical specs.

All in all an excellent solution for my gear!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back