• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

128RC Head Maintenance (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
I have an old 3130 and a newer 128RC Manfrotto head. Over time both have become operationally "less fluid". It finally dawned on me to try the obvious.

I loosened the vertical screw that controls horizontal rotation and applied Armorall to the threads and washers. I worked it back and forth several times as I tightened and loosened the mechanism.

I loosened the vertical adjustment screw and applied Armorall to the teflon pads on the inside of the housing. Have a rag handy and work the mechanism up and down several times. I also tighten and loosened it several times and ran a string through the opening to remove accumulated debris (a little dust was all I found).

I finished with a few drops on the brass locking pin and spring loaded latch, working both a few times to loosen them up.

Operation is smooooooth and precise.

Truthfully, I have no idea if Armorall is ideal for this application but everything has been working just fine in 25F weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back