• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How best to carry tripod and scope (1 Viewer)

keeny

Hi all, went for a small trek today about 7 miles in total with my tripod and scope on my shoulder 8-P after a short while it began to hurt a tad.
My scope is the Kowa 883, 502 fluid head on an oldish Manfrotto 190pro tripod.

I know i could of bought a smaller head or carbon fiber tripod but i still think a good solution would be some kind of backpack setup.

Does anybody use or recommend a backpack for tripod and scope or are there more ingenuous ways ?

Cheers Chris.

Bought a Scopac after tiring of the ache of walking around Scilly with the weight of a Kowa on a shoulder strap. One of my better purchases - evenly distributes the weight, nothing banging against your hip, both hands instantly free etc. Several brands currently on the market so can't advise which is best although I would avoid anything too lightweight and flimsy.

Failing that a wife is always useful .... ;)

Bought a Scopac after tiring of the ache of walking around Scilly with the weight of a Kowa on a shoulder strap. One of my better purchases - evenly distributes the weight, nothing banging against your hip, both hands instantly free etc. Several brands currently on the market so can't advise which is best although I would avoid anything too lightweight and flimsy.

Failing that a wife is always useful .... ;)

Hi Phil, is a scopepac a bag type or one where you have the scope above your head and the tripod legs hanging down your back spread apart ?

ps the wife wont carry the shopping never mind anything else :-O

No worries just googled them......cheers Chris.

Last edited:
Hi,

I use sth similar like the scopac from a german optics shop. Gets strapped to the tripod below the head and at two of the legs and carries like a backpack plus has some space for a field guide, snack and a second EP.

Joachim

Thanks for the replies guys, i will most likely order a mulepack.
That's if i don't change my mind in the meantime .

Cheers Chris.

Hi Phil, is a scopepac a bag type or one where you have the scope above your head and the tripod legs hanging down your back spread apart ?

ps the wife wont carry the shopping never mind anything else :-O

No worries just googled them......cheers Chris.

The latter Chris

If you already own a day pack that you like, it can be used to carry a tripod (and save money). That is provided it has a loop (handle) at the top near wear the shoulder straps attach. Nearly all day packs have this loop/handle which is intended to carry the pack with one hand. I put a small strap through this loop and around the base of my tripod head. I then put straps around one of the tripod legs and the bottom of the one of the shoulder straps and the same thing with another leg and shoulder strap. Works great. I walked 4 miles at the local wildlife reserve yesterday and used the tripod/scope many times but also had my heads free to use the binocs when I wanted too. To walk with the tripod on my back I have to shorten the legs a little (one segment) so they don't drag on the ground and then extend them when I set the tripod/scope down but this is a small price to pay. Recently I forgot my backpack at home. That meant sore shoulders and not be able to quickly use my binocs. I had one strap already and got two more from REI. See this link for an example.

http://www.rei.com/product/848429/redpoint-34-webbing-straps-with-side-release-buckles-package-of-2

Thanks for the tip Lewis,

I've been considering getting a scopac, a bad shoulder means I have trouble carrying a scope and tripod for any length of time. I always felt that scopacs and similar products were very expensive for what they are (as are most things that are when marketed specifically for birding, photography, angling etc). I'll definitely look into modifying a daypack.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip Lewis,

I've been considering getting a scopac, a bad shoulder means I have trouble carrying a scope and tripod for any length of time. I always felt that scopacs and similar products were very expensive for what they are (as are most things that are when marketed specifically for birding, photography, angling etc). I'll definitely look into modifying a daypack.

Cheers

I received my mulepack today, I'll give it tryout this wk end if it stays dry ish.

But like you say its over priced for what it is.

Hi to all,
i changed from the orniwelt rucksack to scopac because it is more comfortable to wear/carry.
After a while iadded a bottlecage or outer pocket witch are originally from my ortlieb bike panniers.
Before i did so i was always afraid of liquid spilling out of my bottles or my thermal mug.

Best regards
Benedikt

Attachments

• Bag.JPG
    Bag.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 656
  • Drink.JPG
    Drink.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 710
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back