• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Issue with Velbon GEO N630 carbon tripod (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hello,

since 2014 I use a Velbon GEO N630 carbon tripod to support my Nikon Fieldscope ED82 A and am really fond of it.

Some weeks ago the plastic inner cylinder of the locking (by constriction: see pics) mechanism to adjust the column height is broken...so the column can not be raised and fixed at all! This is due to the release lever contact with rigid plastic I guess.

The italian importer is kindly affecting about this issue but has not this spare part: furthermore, the GEO N630 is a model (2009-2011) they were not importing.

I temporarily managed with an inexpensive PVC tube of (fortunately) the same measures: this works, but the raising movement of the column slightly moves it downward getting out of its position (this alternative tube lacks of protruding edges that fit interlocking).

I was thinking to turn to a main (asian?) Velbon Repair Service or have it built (in light metal) by a turner .... as a last resort.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

Attachments

• Velbon GEO N630.jpg
    Velbon GEO N630.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Cilindro di fissaggio rotto.jpg
    Cilindro di fissaggio rotto.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hi,

I don't know about Velbon repair service - my Velbon Tripod still works fine.
But from looking at the broken part this reminds me of something we used in the bike store I worked in during college as a last resort when a saddle post in the correct diameter was unavailable... these things are made from thin aluminium sheet metal of variable thickness and look very similar...

You might want to take the broken tripod to a good bike workshop and ask...

Regards,

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back