• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

head setup for spotting scope (1 Viewer)

safaridreaming

Is it just me or does anyone else mount their scope on a head WITHOUT the handle?

My hand tends to rest naturally on the "neck" of the spotting scope and I move the scope around this way i.e. pan/tilt etc. this way i can also adjust zoom and focus with the same hand.

My other hand just rests on the tripod and i apply the pan or tilt lock as required if I want to remain stationary on a point of interest.

I dont think I've seen any videos or clips NOT showing the handle attached on head.

just wondering...

cheers
Jeelan

Is it just me or does anyone else mount their scope on a head WITHOUT the handle?

My hand tends to rest naturally on the "neck" of the spotting scope and I move the scope around this way i.e. pan/tilt etc. this way i can also adjust zoom and focus with the same hand.

My other hand just rests on the tripod and i apply the pan or tilt lock as required if I want to remain stationary on a point of interest.

It depends on the head. With my lightweight Gitzo head which I use with the Nikon EDIII and the ED 50 I don't use the handle either. Much easier that way, and the handle only gets in the way.

With my big Manfrotto head though (used with the ED82) I tend to use the handle.

Hermann

I took the handle off my Manfrotto 128 fluid head because it always seemed to be in the way when I folded the tripod away. Everything works perfectly fine without it. I think there's sometimes a bit of a tendency to over-elaborate photographic equipment to try to make it more appealing to the gadget freak in us all!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back