• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey / Red Phalarope Longyearbyen (1 Viewer)

rockjumper

Can anyone help with info on best place to look for the above. I am booked on a ship based tour but it seems Grey / Red Phal is a bit hit and miss on the Polar Bear trips and I also heard the 'Dog Kennel' area is good for this species? Additionally is this area or any other to look for it inside or outside the safe from Polar Bear pedestrian area? Cheers.

I just came back from Spitsbergen and i didn't found them around 'Dog Kennel'. In 2017 my girlfriend have found them in Adventdalen, but you have to go into the valley, they were around Lomdammen. Here is a map: http://toposvalbard.npolar.no/

You can go to dog kennels without a gun but if you want go further you should have one. When I was in June in Longyearbyen bear was seen in Adventdalen.

Thanks very much for the information. Very useful. Did you look for them this year at Lomdammen? Or hear of them seen elsewhere? Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back