• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names lacking in the Key (1 Viewer)

Laurent, thanks for your excellent attachments. I agree with all of your remarks. Although de La Fresnaye 1841 misspelled Horsfield's specific epithet ichthyaetus, and used that misspelling for his generic coining, I agree that Ichthyetus de La Fresnaye 1841 (type by monotypy and virtual tautonymy Falco Ichthyaetus Horsfield 1821) takes precedence over Ichthyaetus Kaup 1844, and also over Icthyophaga Lesson 1843. However, in the interests of stability, I would treat Ichthyetus de La Fresnaye 1841 as a nomen oblitum. I have added Ichthyetus and jokowuru to the Key.

Some Grouse Hybrid names

Here´s some names, of various Grouse hybrids, not included in today's the HBW Alive Key:

• "Tetrao urogallo-tetrix" COLLETT 1872*, here (Ex "Tetrao urogallo-tetricides" SUNDEVALL 1856, here, s.254)

• "Lagopus tetrici-albus" COLLETT 1872* (here, same paper*, see pp.238-251)

... on those same pages, is also a certain: "Tetrao lagopoides (or lagopides)" and a "Tetrao lagopodi-tetricides" [syn: Willow Ptarmigan Lagopus lagopus x Black Grouse (Tetrao) Lyurus tetrix].

*Collett, R. 1872 (1873). Remarks on the Ornithology of Northern Norway. Forhandlinger i Videnskabs-selskabet i Christiania aar 1872, pp.191-309.

As well not listed in today's Key is ...
• "Cupidonia cupidini-columbiana" BREWSTER 1877 (here) [Hybrid: "Cupidonia cupido" x "Poliœctes phasianellus var. colombianus"]

On top of that; in 1907 Einar Lönnberg published a whole list of Grouse hybrids (in today's Tetraoninae subfamily), in his List of "Swedish Vertebrates", published (in several parts) in the Swedish Journal Fauna och Flora (here, pp.44-45), or see attached excerpts.

Quite a few of those (and their synonyms), like Bogdanow's names of 1884, cited in Lönnberg's paper, are (as well) not included in today's Key! Like, for example, Bogdanow's; Tetrao bonasio-tetrix, (here), etc., etc.

All the other hybrids/names, listed by Einar Lönnberg, I gladly leave to whomever concerned.

If they ought to be include in the Key, or not? That´s a question beyond my understanding. If those hybrid names are excluded from, not suitable in, the Key, ... simply forget about this post. I only posted them as they happened to end up in some notes on my desk.

However; enjoy!

Björn

Attachments

• Lönnberg, E. 1907. Fauna och Flora, p.44.jpg
    Lönnberg, E. 1907. Fauna och Flora, p.44.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Lönnberg, E. 1907. Fauna och Flora, p.45.jpg
    Lönnberg, E. 1907. Fauna och Flora, p.45.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 19
Dr. Lund's (Lesser) Elaenia

Here´s a name not included in today's Key ...

lundii as in:
• the invalid "Elainea Lundii" REINHARDT 1870 (here + Plate here, fig. 1) [Synonymized, by Hellmayr (in 1927), with today's ssp. Elaenia chiriquensis albivertex, VON PELZELN 1868], all in Danish (my bolds):
Dr. Lund har den 5te December 1835 i Omegnen af Lagoa Santa skudt en lille Elainea, som jag forgjæves har sögt att henföre til nogen af de hidtil opstillede Arter, og som jeg derfor maa antage for ubeskreven *).
Which means somethig like:
"Dr. Lund has, on the 5th of December 1835, in the Vicinity of Lago Santa shot a small Elainea, which I in vain have tried to assign to any of the hitherto established Species, and therefore I must assume it as undescribed *)."

Also see the start of this two-parted Paper (here):
..., saavelsom paa de Samlinger, som Dr. P. W. Lund tilveiebragte deels paa en reise i Aarene 1833 till 1835 gjennem Provindsen São Paolo og en Deel av Provindsen Goyaz og Minas Geraes,deels i Omegnen af Lagoa Santa under de förste Aar af hans Ophold i denne lille By, og som han med sin sædvanlige ædelmodige Liberalitet i 1839 skjænkede till det daværende Kongelige naturhistoriske Museum. ...
"... , as well on the Collections, that Dr. W. P. Lund gathered partly on a trip in the Years 1833 until 1835 through the Province São Paolo and a piece of the Province Goyaz and Minas Geraes, partly in the Vicinity of Lagoa Santa during the first Year of his stay in this small Village, which he with his customary noble-minded generosity in 1839 presented to what were then the Royal Natural History Museum. ..."

Mr Lund is also listed (since 1833), among Den naturhistoriske Forenings Medlemmer, i Kjöbenhavn (Members of the Natural History Society, in Copenhagen, Denmark), as of here:
Hr. [Herr/Mr.] Lund, P. W., Professor, Dr. phil. ....................... Brasilien
= the the well-known Danish Dr. (PhD) and Professor Peter Wilhelm Lund (1801–1880), paleontologist, zoologist, collector, archaeologist, speleologist, etc., etc., ... who went to Brazil in 1825 (originally to cure his tuberculosis), returned to Denmark in 1829, but soon back in Brazil in 1832 ... and onwards, a k a the Father of Brazilian paleontology (also of Brazilian archeology, as well as of their speleology).

Danish Wikipedia (here), English Wiki (here), Portuguese Wiki (here), etc., etc.

The bird itself is still kept in Copenhagen, Denmark; Holotype (here).

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. Among other "new" species, in the same paper, we find; "Myiopatis superciliaris (Lund)", here (Plate here, fig.2).
--

Last edited:
[the Plate seems missing/QUOTE]
Possibly here:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/110082#page/779/mode/1up .
Yes. "Elaenia lundi, p. 344, pl. 8, f. 1; Myiopatis superciliaris (Lund), p. 346, pl. 8, f. 2."

Myiopatis superciliaris Lund 1870 is a synonym of Phaeomyias murina (von Spix 1825) (Cory & Hellmayr 1927, Cat. Bds. Americas, pt. V, p. 449)
Also by Hellmayr in Revision der Spix'schen Typen brasilianischer Vögel 1905-6 page 646
http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Abhandlungen-Akademie-Bayern_22_0561-0726.pdf

Last edited:
Two names introduced for subgenera of Moa

For both names, the Google snippets that can be seen if you follow the links below include the diagnoses, which are rather short.
(These are from the same work as Zelornis Oliver 1949, which found its way into the Key, perhaps because it was introduced as a full genus.)

Name: Mauiornis
Author: Oliver
Date: 1949
OD ref: Oliver WRB. 1949. The moas of New Zealand and Australia. Dominion Museum Bulletin No. 15. Dominion Museum, Wellington.
Page: 59
Link: https://books.google.com/books?id=0KnRAAAAMAAJ&q=mauiornis+septentrionalis
OINS: Pachyornis (Mauiornis) septentrionalis
Type: Pachyornis septentrionalis Oliver 1949
Syn. of: Palapteryx geranoides Owen 1848
Fixation by: original designation
Fixation ref: as OD
Page: as OD
Link: as OD
OD of type ref: as OD
Notes: As a subgenus of Pachyornis.
Available: yes
Family: Emeidae

Name: Pounamua
Author: Oliver
Date: 1949
OD ref: Oliver WRB. 1949. The moas of New Zealand and Australia. Dominion Museum Bulletin No. 15. Dominion Museum, Wellington.
Page: 59
Link: https://books.google.com/books?id=0KnRAAAAMAAJ&q=pounamua
OINS: Pachyornis (Pounamua) murihiku
Type: Pachyornis murihiku Oliver 1949
Syn. of: Dinornis elephantopus Owen 1856
Fixation by: original designation
Fixation ref: as OD
OD of type ref: as OD
link: as OD
Notes: As a subgenus of Pachyornis. Senior homonym of Pounamua Forster 1956 (Arachnida).
Family: Emeidae

Last edited:
Cacroenis inornatus Bruner, 1972.
Meandering through Hume & Walters (2012), Extinct Birds, Appendix 2, p. 374, I came across Cacroenis inornatus Bruner, 1972, Field guide to the birds of French Polynesia, p. 47. Cacroenis, "Known only from an inadequate account in Bruner," is not yet in the Key. I have yet to see this guide, and am puzzled by the generic name (perhaps an error for Cacrornis?) Can any reader throw some light on the name or provide a copy of the relevant page?

Cacroenis inornatus Bruner, 1972.
According to: "D. T. H." 1973. [Bruner, P. L. 1972. Field guide to the birds of French Polynesia.] P. 442 in: Recent ornithological publications. Ibis, 115: 442-460.; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1474-919x.1973.tb01983.x / https://books.google.com/books?id=mF0UAAAAIAAJ&q=Cacroenis
BRUNER, P. L. 1972. Field guide to the birds of French Polynesia. Pp. vi+135, 13 plates of line drawings, 2 maps. Honolulu: Bernice P. Bishop Museum; no price given, available from B.P. Bishop Museum, P.O. Box 6037, Honolulu, Hawaii 96818, U.S.A.
This duplicated publication with stiff paper covers is the first book on the birds of French Polynesia, but it contains so many errors that it cannot be recommended. Seabirds make up about half of the bird fauna of the region and pose most of the difficult identification problems, yet this book merely lists some of the commonest species, without giving identification details. Descriptions of some land birds are misleading, for example adult male Pomarea mendozae are black and white, and adult females brown; Bruner describes both sexes as " brown with black and white streaks " (p. 114).
The distributional and biological information is inaccurate for many species. One of the worst examples of this is Cacroenis (sic) inornatus (p. 47); this is described as a rail from the Tuamotus, and it is said that "Descriptions of this bird are confusing and obscure", then "that it is reported as a small speckled bird of generally brownish appearance"; its name is correctly spelled Cactornis in the final checklist, which is synonymous with Pinaroloxia inornata (the latter is mentioned as an introduced bird on p. 125, which is not so); this species is the endemic geospizid from Cocos Island which was incorrectly reported from the Tuamotus in 1891.
The taxonomic treatment and nomenclature could confuse even a museum worker with access to much of the old literature: Strix delicatula (p. 94) turns out to be an old synonym of Tyto alba, despite its being placed in the Strigidae in this book, and Pachycephala is placed in the Laniidae (the inclusion of both of these genera seems to be due to mistakes made in the last century that have been corrected many times since). Spelling and typographical errors abound, including the repeated use of "genius" for genus and "specie" for a species. The drawings are of poor quality, with a number of obvious mistakes such as a Collicalia ocista (sic = Collocalia leucophaea ocista) perching on a twig.
As education of local people offers the best hope for the survival of some endangered Polynesian birds it is unfortunate that the first book available to them should be so unreliable.
D. T. H.​

Last edited:
The type locality of Cactornis inornata was actually designated as Bow = How Island in Goulds original 1843 description in the Birds of the HMS Sulphur. This is not an unusual situation with these early expeditions that visited multiple islands and could easily mix up labels. The correct type locality (Cocos Is) wasn't recognised till Richmond in 1902. How Bruner further messed this up beggars belief.

Last edited:
Agaura

Name: Agaura
Authority: Burmeister
Year: 1837
OD ref: Burmeister H. 1837. Handbuch der Naturgeschichte. Zum Gebrauch bei Vorlesungen. TCF Enslin, Berlin.
Page: 773
OD link: https://books.google.be/books?id=mCN8zV36Y4UC&pg=PA773
OINS: Myothera grallaria, M. cyanura, M. brachyura
Type species: [not fixed ?]
Type species syn.?: ?
Fixation by: subsequent designation
Fixation ref: [not fixed?]
Page: ?
Fixation link: ?
Type OD ref: ?
Page: ?
Type OD link: ?
Notes: Not in the Richmond Index. Appeared earlier in: Ménétriés E. 1835. Monographie de la famille des Myiotherinae où sont décrites les espèces qui ornent le musée de l'Académie Impériale des Sciences. Mém. Acad. Imp. Sci. St-Pétersbourg, sér. 6, Sci. Nat., 2: 443-543.; p. 449; https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/28731632 : manuscript name (in Berlin Museum) by Lichtenstein; fide Ménétriés: for short-tailed Myiothera, uniting Pitta and Timalia; not used as valid here IMO, nor clearly placed in the synonymy of a name used as valid, hence unavailable. Burmeister 1837 cited it (attributing it to Temminck) in the synonymy of 'Myothera' = Myiothera Illiger 1811; not used as valid here either, but subsequently treated as a senior homonym dating from Burmeister's work, invalidating Agaura Brunner 1891 (Orthoptera), by: Uvarov BP. 1939. Twenty-four new generic names in Orthoptera. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist., ser. 11, 3: 457-459.; p. 457; https://doi.org/10.1080/03745481.1939.9723626 ; thereby available from Burmeister under Art. 11.6. (With as OINS the species included in Myiothera by that author...?) Never used as a valid name anywhere so far as I could find. I found no type designation. Spp included by Burmeister: Turdus grallarius Latham 1790 (syn. Formicarius varius Boddaert 1783, Grallariidae); Corvus brachyurus Linnaeus 1766 (in use, Pittidae); Turdus cyanurus Boddaert 1783 (syn. Turdus guajanus Statius Müller 1776, Pittidae).
Family: Grallariidae/Pittidae

The derivation is presumably ἀγά (aga), a variant of ἀγή (agê), fragment + οὐρά (oura), tail.

Laurent, thanks for Agaura Burmeister, 1837. Purely as a temporary measure, I shall treat Agaura as a questionable synonym of Grallaria, with G. varia (Boddaert 1783) as type, although we could declare Corvus brachyurus (i.e. Pitta) the type by virtual tautonymy!!
P.S. I also note Erodora in Menetries 1835, and that appears to be a 'new' name as well.
P.P.S. no it isn't! = Eriodora.

Last edited:
iovis / jovis

Here´s a scientific name (alt. two versions), dealt with in a somewhat back-way order (not chronological, but alphabetical) ... not, neither one, found in today's HBW Alive Key ...

• "Fringilla Iovis" (listed by Schellers, in 1789, here), most likely an emendation/purist correction/revision, originating in the pre-linnaean (pre-1758); "Fringilla Jovis" KLEIN 1750 (here), also used by Klein in 1766 (here) [both Synonyms of the (European) Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis LINNAEUS 1758, as "[Fringilla] Carduelis" (here), a k a Stieglitz (in German) alt. Steglits (in Swedish)].

And why not, tempting my luck; ... probably, maybe (?) originating in the Latin iovis (as of here; "genitive singular of Iuppiter" ... "From Proto-Indo-European *dyew- (“heaven, sky; to shine”), if so in the specific meaning; to shine, in the sense; "the shining one" (in my mind fair for a Goldfinch!) or possibly a "supreme being" (according to here).

I doubt that Jacob Theodor Klein found this bird on a Jovis, as of here ... ;)

However; the truly correct interpretation I gladly leave in more capable hands!

Enjoy!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Björn, thanks for jovis, now incorporated in the Key (I will treat iovis as a subsequent misspelling, although it doesn't really matter which way round they are, being nomina oblita (e.g. not listed in the on-line Richmond Index of Species and Subspecies)).

Muscylvia Lesson 1837

In the Key, so far as I can find right now, Muscylvia appears only as a variant of Muscylva Lesson 1831.

In the Richmond Index, this name is also only interpreted as the product of emendations, being cited from:
- [card 1]: [Gray 1841] -- the second ed. of Gray's List of the genera of birds, where Muscylvia was cited as a synonym of Petroica and attributed to Lesson, and
- [card 2]: [Gray 1849] -- the index of Gray's Genera of birds, where it points to p. [178] of this work, where only Muscisylvia Hodgson 1845 is to be found.

As correctly reported by [Neave 1940] (and, actually, in agreement with what Gray 1841 indicated), Lesson used Muscylvia as the name of a genus in 1837 [here], for a rather improbable group which included the Fairy Flycatcher (Muscicapa scita Vieillot -- which he misspelled "scitta" and designated as the type), a batis (which he called 'Pririt' in French following Levaillant, but senegalensis in Latin), and five species of Petroica robins (multicolor, 'lathamii', godenovii, boodang and rhodogastra). The name as used there was certainly not a subsequent spelling of his own Muscylva of earlier date, a name that he also used for an other genus (different included species, completely different generic diagnosis) in the very same work, [twenty pages ahead] of his introduction of Muscylvia.

So far as I can assess, Muscylvia Lesson 1837 is an available genus-group name, and a (non-preoccupied) senior objective synonym of Stenostira Bonaparte 1850.

Last edited:
In a 1845 book by d'Orbigny Dictionnaire universel d'histoire naturelle ...: Gal-Hys, Volume 6
https://books.google.com/books?id=HGNtrLeD83IC&dq=Muscylvia+melanoptera+Lesson&source=gbs_navlinks_s . d'Orbigny cites Muscylvia with mispelled scitta and cites Jardine and Selby's Platysteira type species as Muscylvia melanoptera Lesson. This name melanoptera is a Gmelin name. So the Fairy Wrem family should be
Muscylvidae or Culicicapidae?

We'll find a subterfuge to keep Stenostira as a valid name

Well, I doubt the name was used after 1899, which means it should not displace a name in prevailing use. So we don't really need a subterfuge. ;)

Laurent, thank you for drawing attention to Muscylvia Lesson, 1837. As you correctly surmised, the Key entries were based on the Richmond Card Index. I think I may now have successfully butchered the Muscylva, Muscylvia , Muscisylvia and Muscisylva entries.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back