• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE 8x32 low light compatibility (1 Viewer)

charliecapp said:
Weird. So there you have it. Anyone who knows these binocs, swears by these binocs. From guys in the business of testing optics (Steven Ingram) to all the serious birders that subscribe to this forum. I have birded with a very nice pair of poro prisms (B&L Custom 8x36) and waterproofing has never been an issue. Who birds in the pouring rain?? The SE's are wonderfully light compared to any high-end 42mm binocs. They have a remarkable field of view. You can buy 3 pairs of SE 8x32 for the price of 1 Swarovski 8.5x42. All of this obviously begs the question: Why isn't this the best selling pair of serious birding binoculars hands down?? That's what's weird. It doesn't matter to me. They have a cult following and I like the idea of joining a cult. This is one of the healthier ones I can think of.

Some discussion you started! I think the point about physiology is a good one. I was 40 years and engineer and quite numerate. Every time I tried to get into the theory of optics, I gave up quickly - mind boggling.

I think we are also up against siciology, psychology, mythology, marketing.

One of the things that governs what we use is industrial economics. Manufacturers put their time and money into developing what will sell in volume, which inevitably to compromise; performance, portability etc so we havea bunch of products all competing for the same market, governed by basic laws of physics.
Surely it must be true that for a given standard of technology a big objective should be better in low light than a little one, but I guess we may be talking about MUCH bigger, 50 or 60 mm?which takes us out of the popular range. Not only is this bound to be heavier for simple size, but is out of the popular range, so the development cost has to be spread over fewer sales. Result big, heavy and very, very expensive bins - all depends how dark you need to go on seeing.
Every once in a while one a product becomes a classic. So why is the SE still obscure? Marketing reasons is my guess viz. the Nikon website. SE's earlier brother, the 'E' was long promoted as the best bin at any price by a well known British dealer. Nikon need to sell HG's - or is that too cynical?
Oh well - back to the other 'ology - ornitholgy, best of the lot.
In my eyes, SE's are the best because when I use them I forget that there is glass between me and the bird. There may be others, but not at the price I think.
Welcome to the cult.

charliecapp said:
You can buy 3 pairs of SE 8x32 for the price of 1 Swarovski 8.5x42.

Hi All,

Been following this thread (and others) with interest, since I can feel the faintest twitches for a BIN upgrade coming on!!!

From what I can see, both the Swaros and the Nikons would merit a field test, but I'm just a bit baffled by Charlie's comment on relative prices...

I think I've seen the 8*32 SEs for about £440 and the Swaros for about £780. These may not be absolutely the best prices available - but am I missing something??

Now I have to get them. I've already been initiated into the cult. Either that or I'll get a pair of 40oz Steiner's and not tell anyone.

Aside from liking porros because I might not know better having never owned a high-end pair of roofs, there is a very practical reason why I like the design: I don't know if anyone else does this, but I don't wear binocs around my neck. I hold them in my left hand in alert mode, ready to bring them to my eyes at a Golden-winged Warbler moment's notice. I've never dropped a pair in 20 years because I wrap my fingers around one of the barrels. I fell one time, but took the fall while holding tight onto the binocs. I'll bet I wouldn't feel as secure holding roofs as I do. The Swaro EL's are the only others that would let me get away with it.

Ruby said:
Hi All,

Been following this thread (and others) with interest, since I can feel the faintest twitches for a BIN upgrade coming on!!!

From what I can see, both the Swaros and the Nikons would merit a field test, but I'm just a bit baffled by Charlie's comment on relative prices...

I think I've seen the 8*32 SEs for about £440 and the Swaros for about £780. These may not be absolutely the best prices available - but am I missing something??
Yeah, you're missing the prices here in the States. Actually, you can't quite get 3 for the price of one. Discount SE's go for around $550. EL's, $1350?? So you can get 2 1/4 SE's for 1 EL. If I had $1350 to spend on binocs, I would get 1 pair of SE's and 1 pair of the new Pentax DCF SP 8x43 - $499 (probably dollar for dollar the best roofs now on the market). I'd use the waterproof Pentax if I was looking for diving birds underwater. The SE's on dry land.

Where are they??

Is there some supply shortage of 8x32 SEs? Eagle Optics, B&H Photo and Video, and ADORAMA are out of stock on this one and none of them know when they might receive new stock. In fact, Mike McDowell at Eagle Optics told me that he wrote to Nikon last week but still there's been no word from them!!:h?:

Does anybody know of any shortages? So far, only the 8x32 SE seem to be affected. Other Nikons are available.

I only hope that Nikon has not put these out of production. :C

Last edited:
mpedris said:
Is there some supply shortage of 8x32 SEs? Eagle Optics, B&H Photo and Video, and ADORAMA are out of stock on this one and none of them know when they might receive new stock. In fact, Mike McDowell at Eagle Optics told me that he wrote to Nikon last week but still there's been no word from them!!:h?:

Does anybody know of any shortages? So far, only the 8x32 SE seem to be affected. Other Nikons are available.

I only hope that Nikon has not put these out of production. :C

I believe that these are now out of production by Nikon at least that is what one retailer has on its site.

http://www.moosegear.com/detail.asp?PID=3006

Last edited:
Charlie, I often carry bins the same way as you (even roofs), with one additional measure - I often wrap the carry strap around my wrist or hand too. Its very comfortable and fast to use, and i've never dropped a bin yet.......i need some wood.

This sounds consistent, because when i finally decided to ordered my 8x32SE, i contacted nikon importers directly because none of the stores seemed to have them in stock anymore. They told me that they had one - it was the "last pair". I'm not sure if that meant there would be no further shipments.

mpedris said:
Now, why on Earth would Nikon do something like that? Are they replacing it with a better porro model? Damn! Just when I decided to order one...

It's still listed on the Nikon Japan site although it could indeed be out of production. Companies often have stocks to clear for some time afterwards.

If they are ceasing production then it can only be because the ignorant unwashed masses are unable to recognise quality when they see it ... 3:)

I've been considering buying a pair of 8x32 SE's, and was a little alarmed when I read the most recent posts regarding their demise. I called Nikon USA this morning and spoke to a rep who explained to me that they were very much alive, and that there were no plans to discontinue them. He was knowledgeable, and recognized their reputation among the birding community. As gorank accurately stated, the name has been changed to Premier SE. I also spoke to a veteran sales rep. at Eagle Optics who was pretty skeptical about any suggestion that they had been discontinued. He did say they were currently out of stock, and didn't know when they would be available. He also said that it was the opinion of a number of sales rep's at Eagle Optics that the SE's provided the finest view among all the binoculars they sell! Hope this helps.

Ted,

Thanks for that update and re-assurance. I sincerely hope that the good folks who advised you are right in saying that the SEs are still in production. I'm going to wait patiently to see what happens and grab the first one that becomes available.

Eagle Optics has extremely good customer service and they are very knowledgeable.

gorank said:
another link to moosegear, says they are in stock...
http://www.moosegear.com/detail.asp?PID=191
Now, isn't that funny? How can the same website have two different links to the same product and one say "in stock" and the other link say "out of production"? What's going on here?? At the moment, EVERYBODY is speculating. Nobody knows the facts. Isn't that funny?

Moosegear:
http://www.moosegear.com/detail.asp?PID=3006
Out of production link: http://www.moosegear.com/detail.asp?PID=3006

In stock link: http://www.moosegear.com/detail.asp?PID=191

There seems to be a few of us here in the States that want to buy a pair of the Nikon Superior E/Premier SE. How about the first one of us who successfully places an order, let the rest of us know who they ordered from and how much? That means an order from someone who has gotten them in stock, not a back order. Sound good?

Thanks Rod. That's not so bad. I think Eagle Optics sells them for $549 but they're not in stock. Last week a guy at Adorama quoted me a price under $500, but again, not in stock.

charliecapp said:
There seems to be a few of us here in the States that want to buy a pair of the Nikon Superior E/Premier SE. How about the first one of us who successfully places an order, let the rest of us know who they ordered from and how much? That means an order from someone who has gotten them in stock, not a back order. Sound good?
Great Idea!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back