• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another Sporter question (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
Does anybody know what is the difference between the "Sporter" and the new "Sporter 1"?

I assume it must be more than just cosmetic because of the price differential.

Well, it seems it's hardly surprising that no-one has answered, I phoned Warehouse Express (who are advertising them both) and they couldn't tell me either!

I think Sporter I is just the full name for Nikon Sporter bins - I seem to remember ours being called that when I bought them a couple of years back.

Last edited:
John,
It's just a spot of laziness on the part of the Warehouse Express Website compilers I should think (or more likely an oversight!)
The bins they are advertising as "Sporter" (the bargain 1s - brilliant bins - buy a pair even if you don't need 'em ;) ) are in fact "Sporter I"

OK, thanks for that, I'm still puzzled though as the 10X36s on offer are sold for £229 full retail (£115 offer price) and the *New Sporter 1* is sold at £159 full retail.

Is this normal in the binocular marketing world? Be gentle with me I'm a binocular buying virgin.

As you say probably still a good buy even if I don't need them, but knowing my luck they'll all be gone by the time I order some.

John P said:
.........but knowing my luck they'll all be gone by the time I order some.
That's exactly what I thought before I got mine. But seeing as I got mine on Xmas eve '03 I would bet that you'd be OK ;)

John P said:
... and the *New Sporter 1* is sold at £159 full retail.
QUOTE]

I just had a quick look at WE site and can't see "Sporter 1" bins at all. The 8x36 Sporters are £99-00.

Where are you looking?

BrianB said:
I ordered a pair of Sporters from WE last night at £99 - the email confirming the order gave the product name as "Nikon Sporter I 8x36 DCF Special Offer". I couldn't see the £159 ones either.

Steve - they're for my wife, she's worried she would drop anything too expensive ;) . At least from the reports I am sure she is getting a decent pair of bins.
Built like a rock, too, so dropping them won't be a problem (well, as long as you catch them before they hit the floor...!). No - seriously, they feel very solid indeed.

Good question, "Don't Come Free"?

Or even, Dach Centre Focus (referring to the high quality type of prism and the focusing technology).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back