• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Refurbished Premiers (1 Viewer)

DHB

Has anyone had a problem/defect with a Nikon LX bino? I just ordered a 10x42LX refurb (demo's is what I was told) for about 1/2 regular price, the downside is they only have a 90 day warranty but from what I hear these are just about bullet proof. Any thoughts??
Dave

Dave-I got the refurbished 10x42 LXs a few months ago thinking what you did-they're bulletproof. I used them for a month or two, then one day was cleaning the lens and happened to look into the right barrel-a loose set screw was in there sitting on the inner lens! It had marred the lens coating, which didn't seem to affect the view, but it was disturbing nonetheless, as I could hear it rattling around. I sent them back to the place I purchased them from and was given a full refund. The best part of the story was that I got a brand new set of 10x42 SEs for less money (from a different dealer), and they're the greatest. I liked them so much that I just ordered a pair of 8x32 SEs this morning (Blincodave-I would have got yours but it was a lot less buying them here in the States). If you decide to get the refurbed pair, they still carry the Nikon no-fault lifetime warranty. Rod

Rod, I remembered your comments after I posted this message. Thanks for the reply. Did you deal with Ewins on either of these? I thought long and hard on the SE's but what little I have used porros I just never felt comfortable eventhought the inexpensive 7x35 Simmons Aetec bin's I have a real bright contasty view with a wide-wide fov. The narrow focus knob on the SE's did not appeal to me either but this is all speculation because I have never had the chance to actually handle a pair.
Dave

DHB said:
Rod, I remembered your comments after I posted this message. Thanks for the reply. Did you deal with Ewins on either of these? I thought long and hard on the SE's but what little I have used porros I just never felt comfortable eventhought the inexpensive 7x35 Simmons Aetec bin's I have a real bright contasty view with a wide-wide fov. The narrow focus knob on the SE's did not appeal to me either but this is all speculation because I have never had the chance to actually handle a pair.
Dave
I dealt with Nat'l Camera Exchange (through ebay) who were extremely good about the whole thing. No problems with a refund, and I would have got the SEs thru them but got a killer deal at another shop. Don't be put off by the focus knob-try a pair. They're a significant 10 oz lighter than the LXs, and, to me, a lot more comfortable to hold. There're a lot more places to put your fingers. I tend to carry binoculars in my hand vice around my neck, and the SEs are very easy to carry that way. Again, it's all completely subjective when it comes to the comfort thing, so go with what's best for you. But don't worry about waterproofing-you live in SE Washington! Let's see...SE Washington, Nikon SE...maybe an omen??? Rod

At the refurb price on SE's and LX's I could have a pair each for the normal price paid just for the LX's but alas I am bino poor. I already have 5 pair along with 2 compacts just ordered and these LX's ordered. I will have to see how I get along with these.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back