• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare Swarovski Habicht 8X30 DF W O GA (1 Viewer)

xu42

My custom made Habicht 8x30, IF, green rubber armor. Can’t find it in any Swarovski catalogs. Swarovski made these DFs (8x30, 7x42 10x40) in small quantity for the orders from Saudi Arabia.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_9122.jpg
    IMG_9122.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,567
  • DSCF0501.jpg
    DSCF0501.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 772
Nice one.
How much did you have to pay to get this osterreich custom made toy?

Perfect object for austrian tankists and paras.
When i will be dictator i will give Steiner Safari Pros to men of the rank, Steiner Commanders to admirals, Habichts 8x30w to officers, and i'll keep this 8x30 dfw for me.
I will have the privilege to watch officers trying to guess, looking at me throught their basic 8x30w, which type of bins my unique green rubbered could be.

Last edited:
I hope you're happy you made me drool on my keyboard! :)

Any info on the coatings? Or serial #s? That will tell us the YOM. These could have been stored in a warehouse for decades.

Brock

That's a beauty... at least in the eye of this beholder. Brock, the serial number is on the front of the hinge. If the code is the same as other Swarovskis it was made in June of 2010.

B8023 (see his 3rd attached picture)
Year 2010 week 23.
I assume the coatings should be the last ones

Giorgio+Henry, I saw that after I posted. Doh. They would likely have the latest coatings.

xu42, where did you buy these from?

Brock

Last edited:
Perfect object for austrian tankists and paras.
When i will be dictator i will give Steiner Safari Pros to men of the rank, Steiner Commanders to admirals, Habichts 8x30w to officers, and i'll keep this 8x30 dfw for me.
I will have the privilege to watch officers trying to guess, looking at me throught their basic 8x30w, which type of bins my unique green rubbered could be.

Nice to hear this crazy world still has some order. ;)

Those are lovely, in an utterly utilitarian way. I imagine you have to know someone who knows someone. Were those 7x42 SLCs part of the same purchase?

David

Giorgio+Henry, I saw that after I posted. Doh. They would likely have the latest coatings.

xu42, where did you buy these from?

Brock

Nice to hear this crazy world still has some order. ;)

Those are lovely, in an utterly utilitarian way. I imagine you have to know someone who knows someone. Were those 7x42 SLCs part of the same purchase?

David

As I knew, the rich people in Mid East made these orders for their hunting purpose. These DFs are not military orders. Military DFs has special serial numbers and have laser filter inside. My 8x30 has IPD scales. For the accessories, it has two flip objective covers, rubber rainguard, wide strap, and a 30 year warranty.

I bought my DF from a dealer in Beijing. The dealer has good relationship with Swarovski, and he added some extra units follow in the Mid-East order. Three models available , and the 7X42 has a scale reticle. Optically, it is identical to the Habicht 8X30 W.

If someone has a chance to visit Beijing (not likely;)), I may PM you the shop address…

SLC New 7X42 is a great bino, I bought it last year when it's discontinued.

Attachments

• DSCF0486.jpg
    DSCF0486.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,122
This one does sound nice, in its own unique way. But I am thinking it is quite heavy,
and the latest 8x30 SLC Neu or the 8x30 CL will outperform it optically.
I suppose most here are most interested in the optics, and not how it handles rattling
around inside the tank.

Jerry

This one does sound nice, in its own unique way. But I am thinking it is quite heavy,
and the latest 8x30 SLC Neu or the 8x30 CL will outperform it optically.
I suppose most here are most interested in the optics, and not how it handles rattling
around inside the tank.

Jerry

Jerry,

wd40 said the Swaro DFs are not mil spec so I'm not sure they weigh more than the old 8x30 GAs. Could be just the difference of weight with the rubber armoring.

According to Swarovski, the rubber armoring adds 3.9 oz the 10x40 model (24 oz. vs. 27.9 oz.).

For the smaller 8x30 DF, probably no more than 3 oz. extra for the GA. So 22 oz. instead of 19. The 8x32 SE is 22 oz. They are not heavy. And for me at least, porros are easier to hold than roofs.

But let's see what xu says, he probably has that spec.

Optically, I doubt if either Swaro 8x30 roof blows away the Habicht. I haven't tried the CLs, but I have compared the 8x30 SLCneu to the 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII, and the porros were sharper. I could resolve more detail both mounted and handheld (couldn't mount the SLCneu but rested it on a bean bag hassock).

If the DF optics are on par with the 8x30 W, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, and being made in 2010, they have the latest AR coatings, so I would not be at all surprised if the 8x30 W DF outperformed the roofs. At worst, it should match the CL and beat the SLC.

Sorry to see you have gone over to the other side. :)

Brock

Last edited:
Jerry,

wd40 said the Swaro DFs are not mil spec so I'm not sure they weigh more than the old 8x30 GAs. Could be just the difference of weight with the rubber armoring.

According to Swarovski, the rubber armoring adds 3.9 oz the 10x40 model (24 oz. vs. 27.9 oz.).

For the smaller 8x30 DF, probably no more than 3 oz. extra for the GA. So 22 oz. instead of 19. The 8x32 SE is 22 oz. They are not heavy. And for me at least, porros are easier to hold than roofs.

But let's see what xu says, he probably has that spec.

Optically, I doubt if either Swaro 8x30 roof blows away the Habicht. I haven't tried the CLs, but I have compared the 8x30 SLCneu to the 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII, and the porros were sharper. I could resolve more detail both mounted and handheld (couldn't mount the SLCneu but rested it on a bean bag hassock).

If the DF optics are on par with the 8x30 W, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, and being made in 2010, they have the latest AR coatings, so I would not be at all surprised if the 8x30 W DF outperformed the roofs. At worst, it should match the CL and beat the SLC.

Sorry to see you have gone over to the other side. :)

Brock

I double that. Owning a 8x30w (made this year with last coatings), i can admit that the optical quality is wonderful. By day, it is as sharp as the few Swarovski roofs i looked through.
Extremely bright for their size.
And you feel a great depth of view.
When a bird suddenly flies in your fov, you have the 3d feeling that he is going to fly into your eyes.
It's a great pair of tiny binoculars.

I double that. Owning a 8x30w (made this year with last coatings), i can admit that the optical quality is wonderful. By day, it is as sharp as the few Swarovski roofs i looked through.
Extremely bright for their size.
And you feel a great depth of view.
When a bird suddenly flies in your fov, you have the 3d feeling that he is going to fly into your eyes.
It's a great pair of tiny binoculars.

8X30W Habicht is the best selling Swarovski bino in China. (around $870)

That is good news Xu.
It means first that more and more chinese are becoming "rich". As you are more than 1.000.000.000, if 5% of the population earns more than 2000$ per month, i let you calculate the number of potential Swarovski buyers.
And it means in an other hand, that you got a good taste for binoculars. ;)

That is good news Xu.
It means first that more and more chinese are becoming "rich". As you are more than 1.000.000.000, if 5% of the population earns more than 2000$ per month, i let you calculate the number of potential Swarovski buyers.
And it means in an other hand, that you got a good taste for binoculars. ;)

Chinese people are not interested in the taste of binoculars; we are interested in the taste of chicken and pork.B :) Maybe it’s about the culture, when you use binoculars in China; response from most people around will think you are peeping others' privacy.:-C

" ... response from most people around will think you are peeping others' privacy"

A few years ago the electric company subbed out meter reading to contract labour. Some meters in backyard w/fence & dog. So readers used binoculars to read the meter until complaints that people thought they were being spied upon/snooped/peeping Tom.

Interesting glass, enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back