• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-breasted Wood Wren (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Caro, Caycedo-Rosales, Bowie, Slabbekoorn & Cadena (in press). Ecological speciation along an elevational gradient in a tropical passerine bird? J Evol Biol. [abstract] [supp info]
Our study demonstrates that the two forms of Grey-breasted Wood-wren existing in the SNSM [Henicorhina leucophrys bangsi, H l anachoreta] are two different species based on morphological, genetic and behavioural divergence.
Kroodsma & Brewer 2005 (HBW 10).

PS. Other papers co-authored by Daniel Cadena in the pipeline...
  • Claramunt, Derryberry, Cadena, Cuervo, Sanín & Brumfield (in press). Phylogeny and classification of Automolus and allies (Aves: Furnariidae). Condor.

• Avendaño, Stiles & Cadena (in revision). A new subspecies of Common Bush-tanager (Chlorospingus ophthalmicus, Emberizidae) from the east slope of the Andes of Colombia. Ornitología Colombiana.

• Valderrama, Pérez-Emán, Brumfield, Cuervo & Cadena (in revision). The influence of the complex topography and dynamic history of the Andes on the evolutionary differentiation of a montane forest bird (Premnoplex brunnescens, Furnariidae). J Biogeogr.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us updated all the time Niels..!

... this is good news for all of us and the birding groups/people we have taken to Santa Marta because we do look for both subspecies always there as long time ago it is been detected they were going to be split ;-)

PURE COINCIDENCE, but only a couple of days ago I uploaded a talk that Daniel Cadena came and gave us in Medellin about his and his lab co-workers' work with speciation/evolution of Neotropical (especially Colombian) birds. You can see the complete lecture -a bit over one and a half hours- at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMyogIUYtg.
..... BTW, this walk was part of a series of talks we (COLOMBIA Birding, the local society SAO, and EAFIT university) organized last year (http://www.flickr.com/photos/colombia_birding_diego/7298127600) where we had SUPERB speakers like Carla Dove from the Smithsonian Institution talking about here research on strikes of birds and planes and aviation security (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6xEKrnvgNA&list=PLEE0C2F31B560A30E), Rick Prum from Yale University talking about all his exciting research in a talk entitled "Evolution of the beauty of birds"! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlnSy7ACVY), and Daniel Cadena. Due to logistical issues, we missed David Ascanio from Venezuela that was going to talk us about the wonders and exploration of the lost world of the Guianan Tepuis (talk due for 2014!) ..

ENOJY!

PURE COINCIDENCE, but only a couple of days ago I uploaded a talk that Daniel Cadena came and gave us in Medellin about his and his lab co-workers' work with speciation/evolution of Neotropical (especially Colombian) birds. You can see the complete lecture -a bit over one and a half hours- at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMyogIUYtg.
Diego, I saw your posts on the NEOORN and Neotropical Bird Club groups yesterday about the lecture. Sadly, I rapidly discovered the serious limitations of my Spanish... ;)

mmhh, yes.. and it is no way, at least from my side, that English captions are going to be added, it would take quite a good amount of time to do that...
sorry!
:cool:

OK, so the tree in figure 2 shows that the two different populations which are supposed to be two different species still are more closely related to each other then they are to birds from Panama or Mexico. So how many species are there in this complex total???

Niels

Well, I would guess between 4 on the conservative side (the two suggested biological species in SNSM + the genetically more distant Panama & Mexico, disregarding the other branches w/ low support & assuming that the well-supported Sierra de Perija branch would prove to be the same species as the low-elevation SNSM taxon) &... hmm, on the more liberal side possibly as many as 18 (each distinct branch shown in the study + considering every unsampled & isolated population (referencing Neotropical Birds for a map) as a potential split as well). The higher number ignores the possibility of further elevationally sym- or parapatric splits, too.

In fact, if you look closely at Panama (& Costa Rica) there are a lot of small isolated populations scattered around there away from the 'core' Talamanca population, on both sides of the Canal Zone as well as at the tip of the Azuero Peninsula. Looking at the map on Neotropical Birds, I count another 19 isolated populations in Panama & Costa Rica alone, in addition to the area sampled. Note that I am not suggesting that all of these are cryptic taxa, but it would certainly be fun to look at them!

Start a pool? Hmm, I'll be bold & go w/ my birthdate - put me down for 16! :king:

Cadena et al

Caro, Caycedo-Rosales, Bowie, Slabbekoorn & Cadena 2013. Ecological speciation along an elevational gradient in a tropical passerine bird? J Evol Biol 26(2): 357–374. [abstract] [pdf]

Kroodsma & Brewer 2005 (HBW 10).
Cadena, Caro, Caycedo, Bowie & Slabbekoorn (in review). Henicorhina anachoreta Bangs (Aves, Troglodytidae), another endemic bird species for the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia.

[Brewer & MacKay 2001 (Wrens, Dippers & Thrashers) uses the common name 'Santa Marta Wood Wren' for H l anachoreta.]

Cadena et al (in press)

Cadena, Caro, Caycedo, Bowie & Slabbekoorn (in review). Henicorhina anachoreta Bangs (Aves, Troglodytidae), another endemic bird species for the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia.
Cadena, Caro, Caycedo, Cuervo, Bowie & Slabbekoorn (in press). Henicorhina anachoreta (Troglodytidae), another endemic bird species for the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia. Ornitol Colomb.

Burbidge et al 2015

Burbidge, Parson, Caycedo-Rosales, Cadena & Slabbekoorn 2015. Playbacks revisited: asymmetry in behavioural response across an acoustic boundary between two parapatric bird species. Behaviour 152(14): 1933–1951. [abstract] [pdf]

Our study demonstrates that the two forms of Grey-breasted Wood-wren existing in the SNSM [Henicorhina leucophrys bangsi, H l anachoreta] are two different species based on morphological, genetic and behavioural divergence.

Thanks for highlighting the conclusion Richard.......Andy

Cadena et al 2015

Cadena, Caro, Caycedo, Cuervo, Bowie & Slabbekoorn (in press). Henicorhina anachoreta (Troglodytidae), another endemic bird species for the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia. Ornitol Colomb.
Cadena et al 2015. Ornitol Colomb 15. [abstract] [pdf]
  • Henicorhina [leucophrys] anachoreta - 'Hermit Wood-Wren'
We note that our proposed recognition of H. anachoreta as a species would imply recognizing a paraphyletic species H. leucophrys (Caro et al. 2013). Species-level paraphyly is expected when speciation occurs in the periphery of the geographic ranges of widespread lineages (Funk & Omland 2003) and the existing taxonomy of wrens (Lara et al. 2012, Remsen et al. 2015) already accepts paraphyletic species. In particular, H. leucosticta is paraphyletic with respect to H. leucoptera (Dingle et al. 2006). In addition, ongoing work indicates that H. negreti is nested within H. leucophrys (J. L. Pérez-Emán et al. unpubl. data). We believe that paraphyly in Neotropical wren species partly reflects speciation in the periphery of ranges, but also faulty taxonomy (Ross 2014). We suspect that future analyses will likely conclude that H. leucophrys comprises multiple species-level taxa, and we may arrive at a stable classification in the future in which species are accurately delimited and monophyletic. For the time being, however, we consider it best to begin by recognizing the well-differentiated H. anachoreta as distinct in a first step towards a revised classification of the group.
IOC World Bird List...
2016 Jan 4: Stet subspecies status pending review of species complex.

Last edited:
Halfwerk et al

Halfwerk, Dingle, Brinkhuizen, Poelstra, Komdeur & Slabbekoorn (in press). Sharp acoustic boundaries across an altitudinal avian hybrid zone despite asymmetric introgression. J Evol Biol. [abstract & supp info]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back