• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Product Plan for Zeiss (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
This is my product plan for Zeiss.
It is based on hunches, guess work and fragments of information from a variety of sources.
Is it a prediction? Yes! Will it come to pass? Let’s wait and see.
In the meantime shoot it down in flames if you like. Come up with better ideas. Or just fall about laughing.

Note that some of the model and technology names are my inventions.
Not all models may be available in all territories

Victory HT
8x42 and 10x42 only.
The HT is for those whose priority is for high light transmission ie those who use their bins under dark skies, in poor weather, in forests or at twilight.
32mm models will not be available as they are not suitable for these activities.
There will be no 56 mm models as the cost and bulk of large objectives is made unnecessary by Schott HT glass.
8x42 list price £1600. Made in Germany

Victory FC
8x42, 10x42, 8x32, 10x32.
FC stands for Full Colour. Some Schott HT components are used. The FC is for those whose priority is richness of colour, with light transmission a close but secondary concern. Achieved by the use of the new F* coatings (farben is German for colour) and an optical system optimised for colour rendition.
Close focus 1.5m.
Apparent field of view, a class-leading 65º.
8x42 list price £1600. Made in Germany.

Both Victories share the same tubes and as many other components as possible. They are differentiated by the style of the rubber armour.

Triumph HP
HP stands for High Performance. The Triumph brand name subject to agreement of BMW who own it as an automotive brand name.
Shares as many internal components with Victories as possible.
Uses F coatings for improved colour rendition (F does not achieve the full colour rendition of F*). Tubes are high precision GRP mouldings.
8x42 list price £1100. Made in Hungary

Conquest HD
No change from current offerings which are still very new.
8x42 list price £700. Made in Germany.

Terra ED
8x42 list price £250. Made in Asia.

Last edited:
I want to see a 20x60 HT Stabilized, in a new, smaller and lighter package. Oh yeah, cheaper too.

Maybe with variable mag. settings [say 15 - 30x], so I could officially ditch the scope forever.

Ok, let's test our predication abilities :)

The Victory 56 will be replaced by a HT 56, or perhaps at 50 mm (European hunters like the big ones, and the few % more transmission of the 42s never beat a bigger objective.)

The Victory 32 will be replaced by a HT line of 7x28, 8x28 and 10x35 with nice ergnomics and wide angles.

Conquest HDs will be complemented by big ones as well, 56.

Terra ED will not be sold in Europe.

This is my product plan for Zeiss.
It is based on hunches, guess work and fragments of information from a variety of sources.
Is it a prediction? Yes! Will it come to pass? Let’s wait and see.
In the meantime shoot it down in flames if you like. Come up with better ideas. Or just fall about laughing.

Note that some of the model and technology names are my inventions.
Not all models may be available in all territories

Victory HT
8x42 and 10x42 only.
The HT is for those whose priority is for high light transmission ie those who use their bins under dark skies, in poor weather, in forests or at twilight.
32mm models will not be available as they are not suitable for these activities.
There will be no 56 mm models as the cost and bulk of large objectives is made unnecessary by Schott HT glass.
8x42 list price £1600. Made in Germany

Victory FC
FC stands for Full Colour. Some Schott HT components are used. The FC is for those whose priority is richness of colour, with light transmission a close but secondary concern. Achieved by the use of the new F* coatings (farben is German for colour) and an optical system optimised for colour rendition.
Close focus 1.5m.
Apparent field of view, a class-leading 65º.
8x42 list price £1600. Made in Germany.

Both Victories share the same tubes and as many other components as possible. They are differentiated by the style of the rubber armour.

Triumph HP
HP stands for High Performance. The Triumph brand name subject to agreement of BMW who own it as an automotive brand name.
Shares as many internal components with Victories as possible.
Uses F coatings for improved colour rendition (F does not achieve the full colour rendition of F*). Tubes are high precision GRP mouldings.
8x42 list price £1100. Made in Hungary

Conquest HD
8x42 list price £700. Made in Germany.

Terra ED
8x42 list price £250. Made in Asia.

Now that Zeiss has forayed into the price range of mere mortal men, you seem to think the company is poised to offer a full range of bins like Nikon and Bushnell.

When I suggested this a few years back, I was virtually tarred and feathered by some Zeissonists, let's see what happens to your marketing plan. Someone already said, sight unseen, that the Terra ED would "stink" because of its low price. Well, it does seem to have an odor, but the question as to whether that stench will tarnish the brand remains to be seen. There are several members including me who have embraced the idea of a Zeiss "Volkbin," and the first comments from someone who tried one at SHOT seems positive.

I actually suggested that the Big Three had two ways to go, either keep raising prices on their alphas and become "boutique" companies that cater to the rich and professionals or get down to earth and make bins at various price points for a wider range of buyers.

Economic realities and the cheap cost of production in Asia and the Pacific Rim has pushed Zeiss in the egalitarian direction.

Swaro's idea of an "entry level" bin was the $950 CL and Leica just came out with the most expensive rangefinder. So if there's any company who seems to be willing to extend its boundaries, it's Zeiss.

Send this plan to Ingraham, Zeiss might offer you a job like they did him!

<B>

Last edited:
Ok, let's test our predication abilities :)

The Victory 56 will be replaced by a HT 56, or perhaps at 50 mm (European hunters like the big ones, and the few % more transmission of the 42s never beat a bigger objective.)

The Victory 32 will be replaced by a HT line of 7x28, 8x28 and 10x35 with nice ergnomics and wide angles.

Conquest HDs will be complemented by big ones as well, 56.

Terra ED will not be sold in Europe.

I suspect that very few of the people who have enough money to own an 8x56 FL are young enough to fully utilize their 7mm exit pupils, so they are carrying and hefting more weight than they need be. An 8x50 HT would get the job done w/out the padded weight and aperture, and top roofs today have high transmission, though I agree that thinking an 8x42 HT could substitute for an 8x56 was wishful thinking.

OTOH, like the 7x42, the 8x50 seems to be headed the way of the platypus since I think companies have convinced most hunters they need 56mm aperture and most birders they need 8x

Will the new compact-like HT line obviate the need for 20/25mm Victory and Conquest compacts with their narrowish FsOV, small exit pupils, and tiny eyecups that gouge out the eye? I would like a "carry bin" but not a compact. A 7x28 would fill that niche perfectly.

Are the higher air pollution standards the reason the out-gassing Terra ED will not be sold in Europe? ;)

<B>

I see the rationale for the Triumph, but I think there is actually no need. That Conquest HD is close enough to being as good as the FL as to having the difference being almost too close to call. The HD has a warmer color balance. I think trying to slide a whole new series into what will amount to a pretty small difference would weaken potential HT sales to the point Zeiss would simply shoot themselves in the foot.

We are already discussing optical differences that are so minute the argument is akin to asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I think it would be a major coup just to get them to come clean on what's made where.

I see the rationale for the Triumph, but I think there is actually no need. That Conquest HD is close enough to being as good as the FL as to having the difference being almost too close to call. The HD has a warmer color balance. I think trying to slide a whole new series into what will amount to a pretty small difference would weaken potential HT sales to the point Zeiss would simply shoot themselves in the foot.

We are already discussing optical differences that are so minute the argument is akin to asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I think it would be a major coup just to get them to come clean on what's made where.

And to get them launched in a timely manner...

As to the angels question, modern physics has solved that puzzle.

"We derive upper bounds for the density of angels dancing on the point of a pin. It is dependent on the assumed mass of the angels, with a maximum number of 8.6766*10exp49 angels at the critical angel mass (3.8807*10exp-34 kg)."

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm?ModPagespeed=noscript

Duns Scotus

Nope, I didn't say it. I remember someone on here did but it was not me.

Sheeeesh, I get blamed for everything lately !!!!!!!!!!

Credited, not blamed, because, after all, you da man. If anybody knows about what makes Zeiss tick, it's you. And if you can't tell us, we pry it out of Jan. ;)

It must be true, however, at least to some extent, since Zeiss dropped its 7x42 model, and that was the configuration in the Dialyt that is largely credited with starting the modern roof revolution. Swarovski also dropped the 7x42 in its SLC-HD line-up. I blame it on Nietzsche's Will to Power. :smoke:

Two quick questions before you get away.

Where are the Conquest HD and Terra HD manufactured?

Thanks,
Brock

u

Gary,

I PM'd you a question about registering a new Zeiss.

Your PM box is full and will not accept new messages.

So here is the question: If one registers a new Zeiss binocular by e-mail per instructions on the Zeiss registration form supplied in the Zeiss website will Zeiss send send a response back by e-mail acknowledging receipt of same?

I ask this because I have not received a response.

This involves a Zeiss 7 x 42 Victory FL binocular which, as you know, nobody buys anymore. This must be true because some one said so on Bird Forum!3:)3:):-O:-O

Bob

Last edited:
u

Gary,

I PM'd you a question about registering a new Zeiss.

Your PM box is full and will not accept new messages.

So here is the question: If one registers a new Zeiss binocular by e-mail per instructions on the Zeiss registration form supplied in the Zeiss website will Zeiss send send a response back by e-mail acknowledging receipt of same?

I ask this because I have not received a response.

This involves a Zeiss 7 x 42 Victory FL binocular which, as you know, nobody buys anymore. This must be true because some one said so on Bird Forum!3:)3:):-O:-O

Bob

and the reason you bought one was because they don't make an 7x42 HT and you got a good discount because the store wanted to unload its 7x42 FLs to make room for the 8x42 HTs! 3:):-O3:):-O

<B>

Last edited:

Hi Gary

I am sure it was someone called CZUK who posted that the trouble with 7x is that everybody loves them but nobody buys them.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back