• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video Product Review: Leupold BX-1 McKenzie 10X42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Decent "short" summary of the bin.

I've looked at these online and been impressed by their overall looks but seeing the video I...OH DEAR GOD! WHOSE IDEA IT WAS FOR THE LARGE YELLOW LETTERING DOWN THE SIDE??? :eek!: :eek!:

If I were to pick one up my Sharpie Rub-a-dub laundry marker would get well used on those yellow letters!!! :t:

Last edited:
I noticed that the guy giving the sales pitch did not wear glasses yet he was still able to use the binocular without extending the eye cups. :h?:

Bob

I noticed that the guy giving the sales pitch did not wear glasses yet he was still able to use the binocular without extending the eye cups. :h?:

Bob

I am curious -- why is not extending the eyecups bothering you enough to make you post about it?

I am curious -- why is not extending the eyecups bothering you enough to make you post about it?

Most people who do not wear eye glasses while using binoculars have to extend the eye cups of binoculars in order to use them efficiently and take advantage of their eye relief. If not, they have to hold them away from their eyes in order to keep from getting black outs.

Some, like me, brace them up against and under their eyebrows to steady them while in use. Others put them into their eye sockets after extending them.

If they wear eye glasses while using them there is enough eye relief without extending the eye cups and they put them up to and on their eye glasses.

The gentleman in the video was not wearing glasses and did not have the eye cups extended while he was using the binocular. I was wondering how he kept them steady while using them or if he was simply demonstrating while giving his pitch.

Bob

. I was wondering how he kept them steady while using them or if he was simply demonstrating while giving his pitch.

Bob

I realize that you might not be able to keep binos steady, but in fact for a lot of people, it's not hard to do. Perhaps that person is like me, and does not always feel the need to extend eyecups in order to keep a steady view. I don't use glasses, and I will often use binos with the eyecups collapsed. There's no requirement to extend them after all, so some people don't extend them if they don't feel the need to do so.

I realize that you might not be able to keep binos steady, but in fact for a lot of people, it's not hard to do. Perhaps that person is like me, and does not always feel the need to extend eyecups in order to keep a steady view. I don't use glasses, and I will often use binos with the eyecups collapsed. There's no requirement to extend them after all, so some people don't extend them if they don't feel the need to do so.

Good for you if you can do that. Some people can. But the eye cups are there to make using the binocular easier. I'm not being officious in criticizing the actor in the video for not making that clear. He's making a video of a binocular that he is reviewing and rating and he should do it right.

Look at the comments he made about his credentials at the end of the article after the video. He really knew better.

Surprisingly lots of people do not know about this feature on binoculars. There is nothing complex about it but it is often overlooked or forgotten and it is mentioned in a sentence or two with the instructions you get with new binoculars.

I ran into a couple at Cape May Point last year on the observation deck. The husband was a physician and had just purchased a new Canon 10x42 IS. Wonderful binocular! He let me use it a bit. He wore glasses and used it with the eye cups down and he was thrilled with it! He said his wife didn't like it. She couldn't see much with it he said. I watched her trying to use it and I noticed that she did not wear glasses and was trying to use it with the eye cups down. I showed them how to set the eye cups for their own use and she turned into a happy camper.

Years earlier I had loaned my Yosemite 6x30 to my brother and showed him how to use the eye cups. I visited him a couple of weeks later and asked him how he liked the binocular and he said they were good but he had to keep moving them in and out to see his backyard birds properly. I had to point out to him that he had forgotten to extend the eye cups and that fixed everything for him.

Incidentally, if you think this is a minor issue scroll down to the Vortex Forum below where there is a newly reactivated thread inquiring how one can extend the eye cups on a binocular.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3004973#post3004973

PS: I forgot the real reason why I commented on how the binoculars were being used!

Go back to the video and look at the guys using it. Notice that the eye cups are in the completely closed position and notice that they are also pressed flush against the users eyebrows. Try that and see if it works for you. My guess is you will see blackouts all around the perimeter of the view and your eyelashes will be up against the eyepieces.

Last edited:
Why is Leupold even offering this stuff which seems to be more about their art department than improved optics. Every manufacturer offers products like this for similar prices, where is this any kind of innovation? Where are the New Gold Rings? I do not believe you will ever see them from this company which in my opinion appears to be slipping away.

Why is Leupold even offering this stuff which seems to be more about their art department than improved optics. Every manufacturer offers products like this for similar prices, where is this any kind of innovation? Where are the New Gold Rings? I do not believe you will ever see them from this company which in my opinion appears to be slipping away.

In Leupold's defense this was an independent review of one of their inexpensive binoculars on an outdoors website.

Good for you if you can do that. Some people can. But the eye cups are there to make using the binocular easier. I'm not being officious in criticizing the actor in the video for not making that clear. He's making a video of a binocular that he is reviewing and rating and he should do it right.

Look at the comments he made about his credentials at the end of the article after the video. He really knew better.

Surprisingly lots of people do not know about this feature on binoculars. There is nothing complex about it but it is often overlooked or forgotten and it is mentioned in a sentence or two with the instructions you get with new binoculars.

I ran into a couple at Cape May Point last year on the observation deck. The husband was a physician and had just purchased a new Canon 10x42 IS. Wonderful binocular! He let me use it a bit. He wore glasses and used it with the eye cups down and he was thrilled with it! He said his wife didn't like it. She couldn't see much with it he said. I watched her trying to use it and I noticed that she did not wear glasses and was trying to use it with the eye cups down. I showed them how to set the eye cups for their own use and she turned into a happy camper.

Years earlier I had loaned my Yosemite 6x30 to my brother and showed him how to use the eye cups. I visited him a couple of weeks later and asked him how he liked the binocular and he said they were good but he had to keep moving them in and out to see his backyard birds properly. I had to point out to him that he had forgotten to extend the eye cups and that fixed everything for him.

Incidentally, if you think this is a minor issue scroll down to the Vortex Forum below where there is a newly reactivated thread inquiring how one can extend the eye cups on a binocular.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3004973#post3004973

PS: I forgot the real reason why I commented on how the binoculars were being used!

Go back to the video and look at the guys using it. Notice that the eye cups are in the completely closed position and notice that they are also pressed flush against the users eyebrows. Try that and see if it works for you. My guess is you will see blackouts all around the perimeter of the view and your eyelashes will be up against the eyepieces.

Man... that is freaking hilarious! :t: Thank you very much. I needed that.

At any rate - my question was not to ask why people in general know or don't know to use or not use eyecups in the collapsed or extended position.

It's funny how people don't like others who things differently......

Why is Leupold even offering this stuff which seems to be more about their art department than improved optics.

The reason why is market penetrance. The more price categories they can field an optic in, the more they sell. Or to put it another way - people buy low-end optics, and people buy high-end optics. Having a low-end optic enables them to sell to people who are looking to buy an low-end optic. If they didn't have a low-end roof bino, that money would go to another company who does offer one. And there are a lot of other companies that offer them.

In the end, Leupold's reason for being is not to satisfy the desires of people who put great value on quality binocular optics (such as the readership here). Their aim is to produce a quality product that will sell enough to keep the company in the black. And there are a whole lot more people who will buy a low-end bino, but not a high-end bino such as a G.R. (assuming they actually made a G.R.).

Why is Leupold even offering this stuff which seems to be more about their art department than improved optics. Every manufacturer offers products like this for similar prices, where is this any kind of innovation? Where are the New Gold Rings? I do not believe you will ever see them from this company which in my opinion appears to be slipping
away.

Leupold makes some pretty good low end binoculars. They are nothing to be ashamed of.

I have a Leupold 7x42 BX-2 Cascade binocular which is Japanese made. It says so on the binocular. I bought it in 2011 from Eagle Optics at a close out price of $229.00. I'm surprised at how good it is for a binocular that is multi-coated rather than fully multi-coated. It's very easy to use with nice long 18mm eye relief, a 6mm exit pupil and it only weighs about 23 ounces. It bounced around in my car for about 6 months without any problems. The 7x42 has been dropped from the BX-2 line and is now upgraded to Fully Multi-Coated and is sold under the Hawthorne line but it's price has jumped up to over $400.00. Leupold still sells 8x42 and 10x42 BX-2 Cascades for $279.99 at Camera Land.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/binoculars/hawthorne-binoculars/

Bob

My point was that Leupold in the past hit a bit higher on the scale not that the cheaper stuff was junk. I own a few of the cheaper ones and agree that they are great for the price. But where is their answer to the Vortex Razor or Conquest or Alpen Rainier? I am pretty sure that it is not the McKinley or one of their other models with very narrow field of view. I see this new model as promotional junk with loud yellow paint. I guess I just expected a bit more from America's Optics Maker.

At Leupold most of their optics sales are in rifle scopes.

So binoculars and spotters are available, mostly a clone purchase of a known design.

It would be nice to see a new Gold Ring, that has been an exclusive design effort in the past.
and made in Japan.
I have not used the GR binoculars, but the many reports I have seen have been very positive.

Jerry

My point was that Leupold in the past hit a bit higher on the scale not that the cheaper stuff was junk. I own a few of the cheaper ones and agree that they are great for the price. But where is their answer to the Vortex Razor or Conquest or Alpen Rainier? I am pretty sure that it is not the McKinley or one of their other models with very narrow field of view. I see this new model as promotional junk with loud yellow paint. I guess I just expected a bit more from America's Optics Maker.

I think their answer is in the McKinley

I suspect the low price offerings are the answer to where they think the general optics market is heading. If the majority of optics buyers bought only high quality, they would all be producing high quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back