• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Happy with new tripod (Sirui N-3204X) and new gimbal (Nest NT-530H) (1 Viewer)

Ad B

Hi,

After some try outs, I finally could buy a Sirui N-3204X carbon tripod.
I bought it new, for a small price, at e-bay (40% less a shop price... ), in France.
I also bought a Sirui K-20x ballhead, I changed the Sirui quick change plate for a Manfrotto 323 quick change plate.
I like it better, the "automatic" locking into place of my cam.
The combo I have now, is much more stable as the "old" one.
More stable, but the weight only got a bit more (from 1,7 kg to 2.1 kg) and folded length from 47.5 cm to 51 cm.
This tripod works more in a "professional" way, legs sliding easy and without hesitation.
It's nice and weird to hear air get in and escape while sliding the legs in and out.
This tripod is very good for the longer photographer.
I think I want to shorten the lower legs (but didn't do yet...).
With centre column down, I slide the lower legs 25 cm out instead of the 37 cm possible.
Than it is on the right hight for me, with the D750 attached, botten cam at 147 cm, viewfinder at 155 cm.
my length is just 170 cm above the grass... bear feet...
I'm nearly satisfied...
A gimbal head for the use with my Sigma 150-600 Contemporary (at 600 mm).
I ordered a Nest NT-530H straight from China...
And here it is...

DSC_0422 by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
(see thumbnail at the bottom).
My cam with Sigma 150-600 C, upon my new Sirui N-3204X tripod with my new Nest NT-530H gimbal head.
I have it balanced at the way it is on the picture, at 600 mm.

The damping of the gimbal head in panoramic movement was far, far too heavy, so I disassembled the lower pivot point.
In there were 2 bearings (one a bit large at the bottom, one little at the top), that all looked very nice and from good quality.
To retain some form of damping, these Chinese put some form of grease into to the bearing and bearing area… Oooh God…
A kind of grease that looked more like a combo of glue and silicone…
I had to clean it all very harsh, with a cleaner, degreaser spray. Quite intense, it nearly didn’t dissolve.
Even cleaning my hands, I had to use my Loctite cleaner… I hadn’t any soap that won the battle against that grease…
After that, I could put some good old Copper grease into the bearing and bearing area.
This also retained some form of damping, but now nice and easy…

The upper pivot axle movement is better, I can live with that for the time being.
Besides that, I don’t know how it assembled.
Is the bolt axial hidden under the Nest emblem in the knob or is it hidden radial under the rubber lining of that knob?
If somebody of you know, please let me know.
I have mailed the Chinese manufacturer (noooo, in Englisch…), but do I get a answer?
The Dutch importer hasn’t any technical knowledge of this stuff, they only sell…
(he told me, he didn't know, because his gimbal heads didn't need service ever... :storm:)

This gimbal head is spot on like the Falcon Eyes NT-530H and the Redged RGC-4.
So if you have experience with those types, please write it here.
Could be helpful for me and others.

Ad B

Attachments

• DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 200
Hi,

I discovered a picture at an other forum, made by Carter from CameraCottage.com:
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=567465&stc=1&d=1450172645
So now I know what to do when I want to service the upper axle from the Nest gimbal.
But now I'm trying to get the little plate with emblem, which is in the knob covering the bolt (see arrow)
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=567466&stc=1&d=1450174924
The Dutch contact isn't there anymore, so I mailed around the world to get that tiny part.
US, UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Hong Kong...
No good result yet... :C
Everybody wants to sell the big things, but not the tiny parts for service :clap:
I'll have to think another way to get that little plate off without damaging to much.
I'm sure I will succeed! |8)

Ad B

Attachments

• ruined Nest.....jpg
    ruined Nest.....jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 419
Hi,

I discovered a picture at an other forum, made by Carter from CameraCottage.com:
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=567465&stc=1&d=1450172645
So now I know what to do when I want to service the upper axle from the Nest gimbal.
But now I'm trying to get the little plate with emblem, which is in the knob covering the bolt (see arrow)
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=567466&stc=1&d=1450174924
The Dutch contact isn't there anymore, so I mailed around the world to get that tiny part.
US, UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Hong Kong...
No good result yet... :C
Everybody wants to sell the big things, but not the tiny parts for service :clap:
I'll have to think another way to get that little plate off without damaging to much.
I'm sure I will succeed! |8)

Ad B

Thanks for your posts Ad B. Very encouraging. You've made me want to get started on my mounts!

Best,
Jerry

Hi,

thanks to Carter Bouslaugh's help from Camera Cottage (USA), I could disassemble the upper axle.
I also disassembled the lower pivot point again and cleaned it from the copper grease.
I greased everything with Teflon based oil/grease and assembled everything.
Here are my parts:
Nest NT 530H by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
I drilled a tiny hole into the logodisk and with a wood screw, I could remove that disk.
And disassemble the rest.
I made a film with the end result...
(if you click the link you can see the film).
Nest NT-530H Gimbal head after cleaning and greasing by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
As you can see I didn't assemble the little bolt and logo disk. I've done that afterwards...

Nów I'm happy with my new tripod and gimbal head.

Ad B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back