• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head for Scope (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Not used a scope for over 20 years so not sure what type of heads are popular these days. Are fluid video heads with a long handle the type to buy or is there something different available these days. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced head (say up to £150 ish).

I dont know if its even still available, or if newer models are better, but I have used a Manfrotto 128rc head for years without so much as a hint of a problem.

I dont know if its even still available, or if newer models are better, but I have used a Manfrotto 128rc head for years without so much as a hint of a problem.
Thanks for that Craig :t: I see you can still get this head and it is relatively cheap.
I will wait and see if anyone comes up with anything better before ordering one.

The 128rc is not expensive,but is quite heavy..and for me i think it shakes quite a lot..vibration seems to affect this design,with its hanging platform..for what i have read other heads are a bit less shaky ,and lighter..the 700rc2 is what i have in mind if i decide to upgrade my old 128..Half the weight(500 gr versus 900),about the same price and i am sure similar performance or better...right now i am using an older,medium/large manfrotto ball head with my large scope and works fine..i like it quite a lot actually..350 gr and smooth enough for the scope..of course not very good for videoscoping but ...i use it hanging sideways ,with the scope rotated,and it works well..the rotatory column in my tripod helps too...

Thank you for all the feedback thus far guys :t:
Just a quick question about these manfrotto heads/quick release plates, is it safe to carry the tripod with scope attached over your shoulders? (I have always used arca swiss type plates with my heavy Camera + lenses).

Roy
I've used the 128 and its good. Fine to carry with scope attached, as long as plate etc secured properly. Only issue I have is won't turn 90 degrees, hard to rotate my scope as has cover on. That aside A1. Also have a ManFrotto video head, fluid, similar to 702. Cant remember the number but that is great but heavier. This is my preferred one. Would go out and have a look but its bucketing down here!!!

Phil

Hi Roy
I've not had any problems carrying the Manfrotto 500 with scope attached over my shoulder. Once the plate is in position it can't fall out either end and also has a secondary locking screw.

.........the 700rc2 is what i have in mind...............

I have been using a 700rc2 for some years now, and I'm very satisfied. Weight was the main factor to change. Also, I use it without the handle. That saves an aditional about 100 grams. I move the scope directly. Works quite well, don't need a handle for that. One important aspect, it does have a safety latch.

I use both 128RC and 700RC2. They're both nice and low-cost, but plenty good. The 128 is the better head, more solid and smooth, but it is twice the weight so the 700 gets more use for me, especially when a lot of walking is involved.

The 128 also has a better locking mechanism. The 700 is safe, but has an odd amount of play in it and you use a set screw to keep it from sliding ( and yet there's not enough slide to balance anything so why have it? Not sure).

Swaros, my Meopta S2, and others I suppose, snap right in to both without requiring a plate. That's handy.

If your scope is not balanced, or if you want to do digiscoping, you might consider going with a head that has a rail, otherwise, I think these are both good birding heads.

Mark

Thank you for all the great feedback, certainly a lot to think about.
I have also seen good reports for the Manfrotto MVH502AH fluid head - a bit more expensive (and heavier) but thought it could double up as a DSLR Camera stills head as well, anyone used one of these?

Hi Roy, I haven't used the 502AH head but do use the 500 Pro with my Sony A77II with Tamron 150-600 lens and don't have any problems with it. The 502AH has the ability to adjust panning and vertical drag so would think it a slightly better option.

I have the Manfrotto MVH500AH and am very happy with it, much more adjustment and longer plate than the 128RC. My scope wouldn't balance with the 128 RC, and was returned for the 500AH. Now with the top rail system, I can balance and more fluid drag for smooth viewing....in short: perfect.

Hi Roy, I haven't used the 502AH head but do use the 500 Pro with my Sony A77II with Tamron 150-600 lens and don't have any problems with it. The 502AH has the ability to adjust panning and vertical drag so would think it a slightly better option.
Thanks Les. I have a Sigma 150-600 C but use a Gimbal head for that (when I am not hand holding lol). I was thinking more for landscape stuff with the new scope head, does this head allow you to lock it down on both pan and tilt?

Hi Roy

I have the MVH 502AH and am very pleased with it, sturdy and good fluid action used with Canon 300 2.8 it adds a bit more weight to any combination, also I have the Sirui VH-10 nice light head that handles very well and very fluid with my Swarovski scope, but IMO not up to the task for any heavy DSLR.

Hi Roy, my MVH500AH locks down in both pan and tilt and so does the 502AH. If I'm only using my camera and not the scope I use the cheapish Manfrotto type Gimbal head on another tripod, which I find excellent value for money. On the scope subject, you might like to look through the Celestron Regal M2 80mm which also takes 1.25" astro eyepieces. People that own Swaro scopes and have looked through my first generation Regal 80 F-ED and can't believe how good the wide, bright view is compared to the cost of the scope. The Regals come with a good 20-60 zoom but I prefer using a fixed 68 degree Baader Hyperion EP giving either a 28x or 35x magnification and a very wide view.

Hi Roy

I have the MVH 502AH and am very pleased with it, sturdy and good fluid action used with Canon 300 2.8 it adds a bit more weight to any combination, also I have the Sirui VH-10 nice light head that handles very well and very fluid with my Swarovski scope, but IMO not up to the task for any heavy DSLR.

Hi Lobas, I think the 150-600 Sigma C lens is the same weight as my Tamron 150-600, which is 600g less than the Canon 300 f2.8.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back