• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small tripods to fit in hand luggage (1 Viewer)

bobswann

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a tripod for a telescope that would fit into a 55cm bag as hand luggage on a flight. Probably looking for one that is c45cm unextended and with head removed. Any advice appreciated. Bob S

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a tripod for a telescope that would fit into a 55cm bag as hand luggage on a flight. Probably looking for one that is c45cm unextended and with head removed. Any advice appreciated. Bob S

In my opinion, no company competes with Velbon for ultra small yet functional and quick to deploy travel tripods. They have lots of good choices in the ULTRA and UT series. Just find the model that is the largest (i.e. most robust) that you are willing to pack. http://www.velbon.biz/product/ultra.html

I like Velbon Ultra 455 with a good small ballhead (I use Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro).

If you want something slightly smaller/lighter, consider the Ultra 355. The new Ultrek (UT) series has models that are even more compact than these. Check out the UT-43Q http://www.velbon.biz/product/ut.html

--AP

Earlier this year I picked up a Gitzo Traveller 1550T carbon fibre tripod for £140 on E Bay. Surprisingly stable for such a light tripod and folds to 35 cm including a ball head, though a fluid head may have to be removed to fold the tripod fully.
I would normally suggest a much larger/sturdier tripod for a scope but if space is at an absolute premium then this will do the job quite well.

I have a Feisol C-3442 tripod that travels well. Feisol's website says it's folded length is 49cm. I haven't measured it but it fits in my airline compliant carry-on bag easily. It is light and study. Supports my 25 - 60 scope well.

My complaint about most travel tripods, including the above mentioned Gitzo and Feisol models, is that they are painfully slow to deploy (all those separate locks for those leg sections). The Velbon models require only a single twist of each leg tip to lock or unlock each leg at whatever amount of extension is desired.

--AP

My complaint about most travel tripods, including the above mentioned Gitzo and Feisol models, is that they are painfully slow to deploy (all those separate locks for those leg sections). The Velbon models require only a single twist of each leg tip to lock or unlock each leg at whatever amount of extension is desired.

--AP

On the other hand they are far more rigid and the Gitzo has a significantly larger footprint - essential on a light tripod if there may be any wind or clumsy bystanders about. I have tried the Velbon, I am glad you are happy with yours, but I am sorry to say that I was not impressed though it is quick to erect.

I can understand why Alexis likes quick set up. I watched the Vebron demo video and I like their novel system. Wish my tripod had it too. But for me, more sturdiness and lighter weight are higher priorities. Typically I set up my tripod at the start of the outing with all legs fully extended except for one segment on each leg is left retracted. Then I attach the head and scope. I carry the scope and tripod on my back attached to a day pack. When I want to use the scope, I set the tripod/scope in place with the pack still attached. I extend and adjust the last leg segments. Since I am rarely on flat ground, I would have to do some adjusting anyways.

True, the smallest Ultra models are not as rigid as some competitors, but they are also much smaller and lighter. I haven't found much difference when comparing models of similar pack size and weight. Not sure the point about the footprint--mine seems same as my old Gitzo travel pod, and the legs have stops to allow a wider set if desired. The larger Ultra models (e.g. 555) offer more rigidity than the one I use and are a little heavier and larger diameter, but they still pack very short and are quick to deploy.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back