• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using a tripod and scope in the car? (1 Viewer)

Sounds cumbersome. Have you considered an ErgoRest which fits on the car door/glass?

I've looked at that but you can't seem to get them anymore. If I was able to do metal work, I can see something like what I would like in my mind's eye.

Window mount strikes me as awkward as mine is an angled scope without a rotating mount. I mean the ones you can buy easily.

Anyone tried this with success? Any tips? Is it even possible?

When I don't have a passenger or a bunch of stuff on the front passenger seat I do it all the time. I set up to look out the passenger window from the driver's seat. The tripod leg lengths and angles are adjusted to set the pod up above the passenger's seat. Whether it works for you probably depends on vehicle, scope, tripod etc so I suggest experimenting to see if it works for you.

--AP

I use a mono pod wedged between the drivers door and seat and together with a beanie bag on the window or door it makes for a firm platform.My angled scope is turnable which helps with the height.......Eddy

When I don't have a passenger or a bunch of stuff on the front passenger seat I do it all the time. I set up to look out the passenger window from the driver's seat. The tripod leg lengths and angles are adjusted to set the pod up above the passenger's seat. Whether it works for you probably depends on vehicle, scope, tripod etc so I suggest experimenting to see if it works for you.

--AP
Thanks. I shall try this.

I use a mono pod wedged between the drivers door and seat and together with a beanie bag on the window or door it makes for a firm platform.My angled scope is turnable which helps with the height.......Eddy

Thanks. If the above doesn't work, I will look to try your suggestion. It's a pity my scope doesn't have the adjustable mount.
What scope do you have Dialyt?
It's a Kowa TSN-603 (small 60mm scope) with 20x and 30x eyepieces. The 20x you can handhold, balanced on the window for close range, but the 30x needs a stable support for sure. I want to look at birds on the sea and lakes.

The reason I asked is that I had the same problem with using an angled scope in the car so I bought a cheap second-hand straight scope body which uses the same eyepieces. Mounted on a window mount it's so much quicker and easier than all the hassle I had with the angled. It's also very quick to switch the mount to either side (or even the back).

Used straight scopes bodies are sometimes to be found at bargain prices - I don't know which Kowa scopes your existing eyepieces will fit though.

Using different hire cars I found it particularly awkward to find a set up which suited each vehicle. I still find it awkward sometimes if the rental has very curved windows and I nearly lost the scope and mount trying to adjust the height of the window with one of those that goes all the way down at the touch of a button!

I tried it yesterday in my VW Golf. Two tripod legs on the foot-well of passenger seat, the other on the seat. The seat means it's not stable and you must sit awkwardly to reach it. I think maybe if I had a small piece of wood on the seat, this might provide a more stable base. I just wish I was good with making things! I have a central armrest in the car and if only there was some way of fixing a mount to it, that would be perfect. Don't car makers think of birders?!

I tried it yesterday in my VW Golf. Two tripod legs on the foot-well of passenger seat, the other on the seat. The seat means it's not stable and you must sit awkwardly to reach it. I think maybe if I had a small piece of wood on the seat, this might provide a more stable base. I just wish I was good with making things! I have a central armrest in the car and if only there was some way of fixing a mount to it, that would be perfect. Don't car makers think of birders?!

Maybe it would work better to fold the passenger seat forward and have two tripod legs in the back seat foot well? The back is pretty stiff compared to the seat.
If that does not work, I think a window mount is your best bet.

Why dont you try a window mount with a ball head attached...? ..ball heads are fine with a light scope like yours and you would be able to rotate the scope sideways..I think a small tripod with independent legs and a short column ,could also work well,but the ball head ,i think,would be the solution for adaptability,for a non rotable scope in close quarters...Wait!!!...another idea....I see a guy in the hide suspending a 600 mm lens ,with a rope and a hook,from above ,and he gets enought support to keep the lens steady by hand...maybe you can experiment with that concept...

Maybe it would work better to fold the passenger seat forward and have two tripod legs in the back seat foot well? The back is pretty stiff compared to the seat.
If that does not work, I think a window mount is your best bet.
The back of my seats is also soft and springy. Also, even if you could get a stable position, it oculd be very uncomfortable to look through the scope.

Why dont you try a window mount with a ball head attached...? ..ball heads are fine with a light scope like yours and you would be able to rotate the scope sideways..I think a small tripod with independent legs and a short column ,could also work well,but the ball head ,i think,would be the solution for adaptability,for a non rotable scope in close quarters...Wait!!!...another idea....I see a guy in the hide suspending a 600 mm lens ,with a rope and a hook,from above ,and he gets enought support to keep the lens steady by hand...maybe you can experiment with that concept...
I'm presently looking at window mounts. I think there is an opportunity for some company to produce a really good car interior mount. I saw that suspension idea, but it wouldn't work fora 30x scope view.

The back of my seats is also soft and springy. Also, even if you could get a stable position, it oculd be very uncomfortable to look through the scope.

The VW I owned, many years ago, had a wide pouch across the seatback. If they still have that feature, you could slip in a piece of plywood or hard plastic to provide firmer footing for your tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back