• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wimberley mk 2 - which release plate ? (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a Wimberley mk 2 tripod head but now wish to purchase an additional camera quick release plate.
The P40 plate works fine with my Eos 1mk 4 & 500mm f4 lens but I would appreciate any advice as to what plate I need to attach directly to the camera body as opposed to the lens collar of a particular lens.
I wish to use my camera with lenses such as a 70-105mm, 70-300mm and 100 macro lens without a lens collars fitted.
I was recommended and sold a P20 quick release plate for this purpose but believe this is not correct.
I have seen the P5 plate advertised but would appreciate confirmation or advice as to wether this is the correct release plate for my needs.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know which camera you have but neither of mine (7D2 and 1DX) can be mounted directly on my Wimberley 2. The Wimberley is designed to mount lenses on, not cameras.

John - having had differing opinions regarding fitting a camera body to a Wimberley mk11 head I thought the best option was to to contact Wimberley directly on the matter.
I received a very useful reply complete with photographs describing how this was indeed possible.
I cannot post the full reply but in essence they say to mount the camera to a Wimberley head they recommend using their M-8 perpendicular plate in 'concert' with the P5 Camera body plate.
I hope this information may prove useful should you be wishing to do this yourself although the photographs and full explanation from Wimberley describes this much better.

I don't know which camera you have but neither of mine (7D2 and 1DX) can be mounted directly on my Wimberley 2. The Wimberley is designed to mount lenses on, not cameras.

John - having had differing opinions regarding fitting a camera body to a Wimberley mk11 head I thought the best option was to to contact Wimberley directly on the matter.
I received a very useful reply complete with photographs describing how this was indeed possible.
I cannot post the full reply but in essence they say to mount the camera to a Wimberley head they recommend using their M-8 perpendicular plate in 'concert' with the P5 Camera body plate.
I hope this information may prove useful should you be wishing to do this yourself although the photographs and full explanation from Wimberley describes this much better.

I realise that spacers/adapters could be used but that increases weight and decreases convenience. I was assuming that you wanted to mount your camera direct to the head - which is not practical.
Just a thought but the Wimberley just becomes a big heavy and very expensive three way head when used this way, a serviceable 3 way head will probably be cheaper than adapting your head and much lighter.

The Wimberley 2 excels with large heavy lenses, I have yet to find anything better, but for other purposes my ball or geared heads are a better solution for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back