• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The real type species of Pomarea (1 Viewer)

Mark, your #19 about the Pomare dynasty made me revisit the Pomarea/pomarea entries in the Key. Muscicapa Pomarea was collected during the exploratory voyages of 'La Coquille' 1822-1825, when the minor Teri'itari'a Pomare III ruled Tahiti under a council of regency 1821-1827. So the bird is either named after the dynasty or this little boy. I shall rework the Key entry.

Last edited:
Etymological side-track

Mark, I followed the trail of Dickinson, Bruce & David, Zoological Bibliography 2015; 3 (5), p.111 (your link, post #7) ...

● Maupiti Monarch Pomarea (nigra) pomarea (LESSON & GARNOT, 1828), in Lesson 1828, (here) as "GOBE-MOUCHE POMARÉ, muscicapa Pomarea" [sic], published 14 June 1828 ... with a single cross reference to: "(Zool. de la Coq., pl. 17.)", which takes us to the Plate of "Moucherolle Pomaré (Muscicapa Pomarea)", here (published one week later; 21 June 1828), in livrasion 7, of Voyage autour du monde : exécuté par ordre du roi, sur la corvette de Sa Majesté, la Coquille, pendant les années 1822, 1823, 1824, et 1825, (a work published in 28 parts!), and its accompanying text, in livr. 13, p. 592 (here), as well as its following use in other parts of the same work; here (livr. 8), here (livr. 14) and here (livr. 16).

The most important Page regarding the Etymology itself is found in part/livrasion 8, see link above, where it is written:
Les auteurs ont décrit sous deux noms différents un gobe-mouche que nous avons appelé muscicapa Pomarea (Atlas, pl. XVII), en l'honneur de Pomaré, chef des îles de la Société, et dont le gouvernement sauvage était empreint d'une sorte d'élévation.
If commemorating the late King, his subsequent inheritor or the queen mentioned (in post #19), is all beyond me (not knowing French).

If of any help?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Oooups! While I was typing away, sorting out the links, etc., etc in post #22, James posted #21.

And; suddenly the updated HBW (very) Alive Key tells us:
pomarea
Teri'itari'a Pōmare III King of Tahiti (1821-1827), a minor who ruled under a Council of Regency. This bird was collected during the voyage of 'La Coquille' 1822-1825, so must have been named either for the Pōmare dynasty (1788-1880) or for this little boy (Pomarea).
Does that fit the quote that I posted?

No doubt, just curious!

the quote:

The authors have described under two different names a fly-catcher we called muscicapa Pomarea (Atlas, pl., XVII), in honor of Pomaré, chief of the Society Islands, and whose savage government was marked by a kind of elevation. (google translate)
Now this makes me think Pomare II ? Pomare III was only six when he died and Pomare II converted to Christianity.
Sorry for the confusion I was misled by Herman Melville who in his first novel Typee (1846) called the queen Pomarea but only in the first English edition all others call her Pomare. I also thought the a at the end was feminine

Last edited:
Now this makes me think Pomare II ? Pomare III was only six when he died and Pomare II converted to Christianity.
Sorry for the confusion I was misled by Herman Melville who in his first novel Typee (1846) called the queen Pomarea but only in the first English edition all others call her Pomare. I also thought the a at the end was feminine
And I don´t know what to think!?

Nor do I understand if this name is supposed to be considered a feminine or a masculine one?

A commemoration of Pōmare II? Or his wife? See Wiki here. Or (but unlikely) Pōmare III? Alt. the Dynasty itself? Also note that Wikipedia claims "Pomare II" to have died in 1820. And that "Pomare III" was born the same year? Apparently it was No. II who (together with his capable wife?) stood for the "elevation" of those "Savage" Islands (into Christianity).

Sigh, I wish I had more time to look into this one ...

Good luck sorting them out!
--

Last edited:
Quick one ...

In the Paper Encountering agency: Islanders, European voyagers, and the production of race in Oceania, by Bronwen Douglas (2011, Papers from a symposium, in Feb. 2006) ... here ... on page 77 (p.8 in the pdf) we find "portraits of the members of the Tahitian royal family", pen and wash drawings, made by Jules-Lois Le Jeune, during the visit by La Coquille, in 1823. Both of the Queen, and of the junior/kid King!

Hopefully of interest? Unfortunately I have no time reading the full piece.

Björn

Dickinson & Christidis (eds.), H&M 4th ed., 2014, 2, p. 246, treat Pomarea as feminine. See the Key for my latest take on this name - serenity may now be reigning, even if Pomare is not.

And I don´t know what to think!?

Nor do I understand if this name is supposed to be considered a feminine or a masculine one?
The species name is adjectival: pomar- (stem of Pomare) + -eus, -ea, -eum; the -ea ending being used because the adjective must agree in gender with the feminine genus-group names Muscicapa, Monarcha, or Pomarea.
Bonaparte presumably simply turned this into a substantive to form a generic name, even though he did not explain nor cite the species name as such. (It is also possible that he regarded Muscicapa pomarea Less. & Garn. as a junior synonym of M. nigra Sparrm. at this point, as this is what Lesson had made of it, after having described it as a distinct species: if so, he may have decided to 'revive' the invalid species name as a generic name.) Bonaparte did not state or indicate a gender for his generic name; the name is to be treated as feminine, either because it ends in a feminine Latin suffix or, if you don't want to make this assumption, because feminine is the default gender for names that end in -a.

All of these feminine endings give no indication whatsoever about the gender of the dedicatee, however.
(F.i., Achilles, -is is the Latin name of Achilles; achilleus, -ea, -eum is a classical Latin adjective meaning 'of Achilles'; and achillea (to be understood as achillea planta, 'the plant of Achilles') is also a classical Latin noun, formed by substantivation of the feminine form of this adjective, which denotes the yarrow, a plant that Achilles was said to use to heal wounds. Achillea is feminine exclusively because the understood (but omitted) planta is; Achilles, on the other hand, quite unquestionably, was a man.)

A commemoration of Pōmare II? Or his wife? See Wiki here. Or (but unlikely) Pōmare III? Alt. the Dynasty itself? Also note that Wikipedia claims "Pomare II" to have died in 1820. And that "Pomare III" was born the same year? Apparently it was No. II who (together with his capable wife?) stood for the "elevation" of those "Savage" Islands (into Christianity).
The dedication that you quoted above is to a chief in person, not to a wife that would not be chief herself. I also doubt that Lesson would have used the masculine noun 'chef' to refer to a woman.
I would also note that in French "chef des îles de la Société" is a bit ambiguous, as it can indeed mean "the chief of the Society Islands", but also "a chief from the Society Islands".

The person that Lesson called "Pomaré" elsewhere -- [here] -- and with whom he had contacts when on Tahiti, was Pomaré Nehoraii, son of Vuaïnini, husband of young Princess Aïmata (daughter of the late King Pomaré II and Queen Térémoémoé, and future Queen Aimata Pōmare IV Vahine-o-Punuateraʻitua). Lesson described him as an exceptionally corpulent young man, who was barely over 16 years old (in 1823). (While the princess was a slight, rather shy, and amiable young girl, who was then 12 or 13.)

Last edited:
In the Paper Encountering agency: Islanders, European voyagers, and the production of race in Oceania, by Bronwen Douglas (2011, Papers from a symposium, in Feb. 2006) ... here ... on page 77 (p.8 in the pdf) we find "portraits of the members of the Tahitian royal family", pen and wash drawings, made by Jules-Lois Le Jeune, during the visit by La Coquille, in 1823. Both of the Queen, and of the junior/kid King!
Interesting plate, but I don't think there is a king on it.

The captions translate as:

Upper left: Térémoëmoë or Terra Vahiné, wife of the late king, queen mother. Aged 25.
Upper right: Otouré. (Name hard to read here, but evidently the same as [here]. I don't know who he was -- another chief according to the caption of this other plate.)
Middle: Pomaré. Aged 19.
Lower: Pomaré Vahiné. Regent. Aunt of the king. Aged 35.

If these drawings date from May 1823, the young king would have been 3 years old at this time: nobody this age is shown on the plate.
However, the 19-year-old Pomaré in the middle is quite likely the same as Lesson's Pomaré Nehoraii.

Last edited:
Both Pomaré II and III are mentioned by Lesson in Voyage autour du monde entrepris par ordre du gouvernement sur la corvette La Coquille ... like here.

In all 36 times (if the "Search Inside" function is correct) ...

Both Pomaré II and III are mentioned by Lesson in Voyage autour du monde entrepris par ordre du gouvernement sur la corvette La Coquille ... like here.

In all 36 times (if the "Search Inside" function is correct) ...
On 36 pages; on a fair number of these, the name appears several times.
This is the same book as in the last § of my post #28 above. Lesson mentions Pomaré Ier, Pomaré II, Pomaré III, and Pomaré Nehoraii. But where has talks of a Pomaré with whom the French travellers actually interacted (e.g., p.27, 28, 29, 47, 48, 49, 53, 56, 68, 69, etc.), it is the latter. The only other Pomaré that he met was Pomaré III, who was still a young child cared for by a nurse. He regularly calls Pomaré Nehoraii simply "Pomaré". (He does this a number of times for Pomaré II, in historical explanations involving him. I can see no place where he does it for Pomaré III -- either he indeed calls him Pomaré III, or he uses periphrases like "the child king".) He usually refers to Pomaré I, II and III as kings; not as chiefs.

Last edited:
Sticking out my neck (again), in dealing with French texts, ... ;)
Le nom de Pomaré est celui d'un roi de l'île d'O-Taïti, où cette espèce est commune, de même que dans toutes les autres îles de la Société.

[Lesson 1847, link in Laurent's post #33]
Doesn´t this indicate he´s talking about a royal, not The Royal?

But don't forget the part ".... et dont le gouvernement sauvage était empreint d'une sorte d'élévation", written by Lesson in the original work, in 1828, indicating (at least to me) that the name was commemorating a royal person, with/in charge of/ruling a gouvernement.

Like you said Laurent; "Too much ambiguity, I think" ...
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back