• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Art Exhibition (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi All,

A heads-up to anybody in or around London: The Society of Wildlife Artists 40th Annual Exhibition is currently (till Oct 5th) running at the Mall Galleries.

I visited today and it was worth the entry fee just to see the Puffins, Peregrines, and Barn owl by Alistair Proud.

The styles are varied although there is a definate bias towards 'contemporary' images but that's how SWALA has always been.

Lots and lots of waders plus the more exotic, including studies of the Dodo by Chris Jones.

Worth a visit. :t:

Woody

The way most of them are painted even Michael F and Spud might have a few problems!

Lots of the work is about the general 'feeling' of the birds or their 'essence'.

It doesn't float my boat but it is all valid as Art (with a capital A). Maybe that's a different thing from Wildlife or bird art though?

For me the realist stuff is superb, particularly A. Proud, C. Rose, J. Pointer, C. Jones and one or two others.

Woody

Oh, Chris Rose is FAB!!!!!!!! I love, love, love his stuff!!!!
There's an article about the Exhibition in the October issue of Birdwatch on page 43.
I just wish we had exhibitions of wildlife art in the North-East...I think the nearest one is held in Liverpool in April in a car showroom! Have to dig out the name!!!
Other artists that really do it for me are Eric Ennion, Robert Gillmor, Thelma Sykes, Martin Ridley...there are just too many to mention! Some of these artists are like Chris Rose and paint in a realistic style whilst others can capture the jizz and character of the bird in just a few simple lines.............and some are just rubbish(can't use the word I normally use as the moderators will only delete it anyway!)and really should give their brushes away and get another job!!! And pages of ID plates don't excite me either...no matter how accurate or well drawn they are!
At the end of the day though, everyone has their own ideas on what, or who, turns them on!!!
I'm quite tempted to just jump on the train from Newcastle and go down to see the exhibition.......but how would I explain it to my hubby if I was stranded in London???

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back