• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bateman exhibition (1 Viewer)

That music may very well be cooler than PBS specials and sweater vests.

Bah, I keep meaning to get down to see this exhibition. I think the heavily cropped image of the two cranes cinches it for me -- beauty! Maybe this weekend.

Bah, I keep meaning to get down to see this exhibition. I think the heavily cropped image of the two cranes cinches it for me -- beauty! Maybe this weekend.

Would be nice if the work came to erope, love to see these paintings...

Would be nice if the work came to erope, love to see these paintings...

Agree with that Alan!

I've managed to see only two original Bateman's over the years. One lithograph and one painting. Had a chance to see the technique close up but I still don't know how he does it!

My Father-in-law is a naturalised Canadian citizen and a permanent resident. He and his wife heard that Bateman was making an appearance in a local gallery and, knowing what a fan I am, they went along to meet him and have a chat. The queues went around the block apparently, I can't imagine any other 'wildlife artist' attracting that kind of response.

Woody

Have you been yet Jomo?

Have you been yet Jomo?

No, unfortunately -- got busy this weekend and it didn't happen. Next weekend is the last weekend, though, so I'll have to make a point of pencilling it into my schedule. I haven't been to the McMichael Gallery since high school, it'll be nice to go through all of that Group of Seven artwork that I really didn't appreciate enough back then. |:D|

Finally got down to see this today. Last day of the exhibition, and even after two months on view there was still a crowd of people steadily shuffling through. Unfortunate, as I usually like to get my nose up to a painting and just gawk for about ten minutes, not so polite when there's others wanting a look!

I'd only ever seen one other Bateman in person before, and I think what surprised me most about these was the scale -- most of them were quite large, wall-sized even. I'm sure his profession gives him quite a workout! I'd also never realized that his 'Drift Net' piece (with the drowned white-sided dolphin and gull) is in fact draped with actual drift netting. The exhibit included some early work (starting with a page of birds painted when he was 14), a few sculptures, and a collection of sketchbooks under glass. I definitely would have loved the chance to leaf through those!

Getting up close allows you to see that the detail, while pretty intense, is achieved with surprisingly few strokes. I'll never understand how he manages those arching blades of grass or thin branches with such a steady hand! A very inspirational exhibit, and nice to finally see the man's work in person. How he remains so prolific given the insane amount of work that goes into each piece is beyond me, but I'm glad he does.

I'm glad you made it Jomo. Makes me pretty jealous though, when do we brits get to see his work? What you say about the detail makes sense, I've 4 or 5 Bateman books and I often spend ten minutes or so gawping at one pic, looking at it as a whole and from as close as the print allows. And, yeah, wouldn't it be great to look through those sketchbooks!

Woody

Nice report Jomo - echo Woody - I'd love to see them in the flesh (saw an original drawing once (rather good, y'know ;) ).

never seen any of his original stuff, though often kept magazine cuttings. Must have been inspiring to see them in the flesh, especially if they're that large.

For keeping a steady hand on detail, breathe out as you follow the line, that should help (according to some rather bossy woman on a French Changing Rooms style programme.)

Just thought I'd add an observation as well as second,.. er, third the wish to see some originals myself.

There is a work "Rough Legged Hawk in the Elm" in a book I have (a collection of various wildlife artists). You look at the image and see tree. Mighty tree, lots of tree; hours, possibly, spent painting tree. Tree trunks and white out background - stark image. Then you realise there is a hawk sitting quietly surveying the scene, it's head turned slightly so as to see you there. It's unphased. You feel suddenly privileged, you feel like freezing, holding your breath, just as you would experiencing such an encounter in the wild. Masterful. He's stuck the bird in the back of the painting. Brave, genius. He's done this time and again though I've not seen anything quite so... so,... so like that one. Whether it's his best ever painting - impossible to answer and as I've not seen his full oeuvre, I'd not spout on that anyway. I know there' ll be a lot of opinions on whether the image is that good, because I guess a lot of wildlife enthusiasts want the wildlife front and centre?

Hello All,

I was very fortunate to be living in Victoria, British Columbia a number of years ago when Robert Bateman held a gallery exhibition ( his first according to him ) at the Victoria Art Gallery which was about two blocks from where I lived.

Anyone who's ever heard Mr. Bateman speak quickly grasps that he takes strong exception to the view ( apparently widely held within the art community ) that hyper-realism is not art. Obviously - from a distance his paintings look like photographs and I think his conservative and incredibly clever use of the brush heightens that perception.

The paintings were almost all huge - one of a black panther ( jaguar? ) springs to mind - absolutely amazing you could practically feel the jungle.

I have a small print of a cardinal that I bought that evening that's incredible. Would have loved to buy an original but a bit out of my league I'm afraid :)

I cut my bird/wildlife drawing and painting teeth using Bateman's books to work from so it was an honour to meet him. He was very pleasant to talk to and afterwards I went on to listen to him speak about conservation...a great evening all round.

Has he ever exhibited in the UK or Europe - does anyone know? Seems odd that he would be unaware of the cultural bent toward nature that has always existed there - I'd have thought it would be a major market for him.

And - no I don't mean you're all bent!!

I'm originally from Barnsley although I've lived in Canada most of my life. Just thought I'd share my experience of Bateman...suffice it to say - if you ever get the chance - don't let it pass you by - seeing Bateman's work up close is awe-inspiring.

Cheers
Chris Oakley

P.S. Victoria is actually a great spot to be in for a bird painter - J. Fenwick Landsdowne ( my absolute hero :) lives in Oak Bay so I got to see a lot of his work as well.

Thanks for that chris - very insightful! I hadn't heard RB's comments regarding hyper-realism, but it doeasn't come as a huge surprise - I'm sure he is an artist first and foremost.
He does exhibit at the SWLA occasionally, but I'm not sure how frequently (I once had the pleasure of seeing a pencil drawing by by him - tremendous).
Anyway, great contribution and look forward to seeing some of yourown work here sometime.
Ps - I'm originally from Barnsley too!

Reading this has just reminded me - I don't have any of Robert Bateman's books in my collection :eek!:
I've read various articles about him in magazines and other wildlife art books and read a couple of his books in my local library (or, rather, I did until they closed it down last year for refurbishment!) - incredible artist!!! :t:

So.........I've just ordered a couple of his books off Abe and, with a bit of luck, I should have them by the end of the week o:)

Glad I could share Tim - love your work btw...up Barnsley!!

Like many others here - painting is something that always takes a back burner for me to all those other things in life that are deemed ( by myself obviously :) as more important or responsible or whatever excuse I'm making today...lol

However - having witnessed the incredible degree of enthusiasm and encouragement that exists here on the wildlife art sub forum I am motivated to get back into some serious painting - all comes down to having the confidence to step out onto a wider stage...

Perhaps as a first step - I'll borrow my daughter's digital camera and take snaps of a couple of paintings I'm working on so that I can post something here.

Also think I need to invest some time and money into camera equipment - working solely from field sketches ( and countless years of observation :) is somewhat limiting - suggestions? Advice?

Gill - enjoy your Bateman books : )

Cheers :)
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back