Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yellow Legged Gull

Old Wednesday 31st December 2008, 21:45   #26
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Klim View Post
BOURC 2006. The British List: A Checklist of Birds of Britain (7th edition). Ibis (2006), 148, 526–563:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/c...19822/PDFSTART

Includes all subspecies formally accepted by BOURC as recorded in Britain (eg not atlantis). Doesn't reflect recent splits of cachinnans and smithsonianus.

Richard
Thanks, Richard and Col Boris, that's v helpful. Sorry, I hope I haven't hijacked the thread!!
Ken

Last edited by Surreybirder : Wednesday 31st December 2008 at 22:39.
Old Thursday 1st January 2009, 10:49   #27
HH75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder View Post
Thanks, Harry,
What about heuglini?
Sorry, was treating heuglini as a Lesser Black-backed type (your question specified Herring types)! That's not on the British list either, and, given the extent of variation within graellsii, I think it would take a ringing recovery at this stage to get the taxon accepted.
Old Thursday 1st January 2009, 15:54   #28
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hussey View Post
Sorry, was treating heuglini as a Lesser Black-backed type (your question specified Herring types)! That's not on the British list either, and, given the extent of variation within graellsii, I think it would take a ringing recovery at this stage to get the taxon accepted.
Thanks, Harry. I guess I was treating 'herring' in a rather liberal way. Back in the dark ages, when I started birding, herring/lesser bb were given as an example of a 'ring species' that gradually changed as it went around the world until the two 'ends' were different species. I'm not sure that the concept of a ring species has survived all the various taxonomic debates!
At least I know not to spend too much time looking out for heuglini round Surrey!

I've now had the chance to read the Ibis paper. Their taxonomic recommendations (=decisions?) are quite different from those of Olsen and Larsson. E.g. vegae becomes a sub-species of American Herring Gull (Larus smithsonianus) and barbarensis becomes a sub-species of Lesser bb gull (L fuscus). I wonder where it will all end? In the meantime, it seems as if you have to identify most of the large gulls to sub-species level to be sure of keeping track of which species you have seen at any given time!
Ken

Last edited by Surreybirder : Thursday 1st January 2009 at 17:23.
Old Thursday 1st January 2009, 20:39   #29
AlanR
Bird photographer

I'm just glad I don't bother with subspecies.
It's hard enough sorting out Gulls at Species level!
Alan
Old Tuesday 21st January 2014, 09:33   #30
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Istanbul

Chris Gibbins, Birding Frontiers, 20 Jan 2014: The 'intermediate' Yellow-legged Gulls of the Bosphorus.
Old Saturday 14th May 2016, 09:23   #31
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Hammouda et al

Hammouda, Hamza, Ayadi, Pearce-Duvet & Selmi (in press). Assortative mating for carotenoid colouration but not size in the Yellow-legged Gull Larus michahellis. Bird Study. [abstract]
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: