• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question of light? (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
As a newcomer to bird photography, using my new FZ150 + Tele Lens, I took these two photos today. However, in the one of the young female Greenfinch, you can see a pleasing texture to the feathers, whereas with the one of the Chaffinch, the feathers are kind of smudged.

They were both at exactly the same distance from the camera, so as the Greenie was in much better light, while the Chaffie was in dappled shade, I'm guessing that, in this case, it was the lack of light that made all the difference ... or?

N. B. Both birds were quite still, at the time.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.tele.greenie.JPG
    P.150.tele.greenie.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 89
  • P.150.tele.chaffie.JPG
    P.150.tele.chaffie.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 91
I cannot actually look at the data here, so i would encourage you to do so yourself: what was the ISO in the two shots? If high in the second shot, then most likely noise reduction have been a little hard on the details, so as to avoid showing you the noise.

Niels

I cannot actually look at the data here, so i would encourage you to do so yourself: what was the ISO in the two shots? If high in the second shot, then most likely noise reduction have been a little hard on the details, so as to avoid showing you the noise.

Niels

Sorry Niels, but as a newcomer I'm afraid I've been doing absolutely everything by 'Automatic Pilot' up to now so, as manuel in Fawlty Towers would say ~ "I know nawthing" |:$|

Of course, I do know that at some stage I will have to bite the bullet & step into that scary looking world of .... manual. ;)

Cheers,
Dick

You can view the camera settings of any of your images if you view the files with PHOTOfunSTUDIO (assuming that it came with your FZ150 and you loaded it).

Right click on the image in question and select "properties". This will list all your camera settings.

Here is a comparison of the settings that I can read from your uploaded images:

Chaffie:
108mm
f5.2
1/125 sec
ISO-200

Greenie:
108mm
f5.2
1/25 sec
ISO-400

ISO-400 compared to ISO-200 shouldn't make a drastic difference.

1/25 of second at a 35mm equivalent of 600mm is pretty slow, even with IS. It could be just a very small amount of motion-blur that makes you image look soft as there is no major blurring.

Oddly when I view your settings with PHOTOfunSTUDIO I see a 35mm equivalent of 799mm. I am curious if you were using any digital or extended optical zoom (although it seems both images were taken at the same focal length).

Take a look at your settings and look for any differences.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back