• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody using "scene modes" -- panning, beach -- on the FZ18 (also flight shots)? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Anybody using "scene modes" -- panning, beach -- on the FZ18 (also flight shots)?

These modes seem like they could be useful for bird photography. "Panning" mode might be useful for birds in flight, and "beach" could be useful for shooting gulls and shorebirds on light-colored beaches to ensure they are not underexposed. I have not tried these myself though, and do not see how to determine exactly what settings they change. If they just change a few settings, it would probably be just as easy to make the changes directly.

On the subject of flight shots, I had a recent experience in which a rare tern for my area (a Bridled Tern) was circling for about 20 seconds about 25 feet above and around a boat in which I was riding. I found it impossible to get a shot in the circumstances; I have been able to get good flight shots when birds are flying in a more predictable pattern, but this was a definite challenge. The focusing mechanism pretty much ground to a halt and could not get anything to focus on. I suppose the best option, in hindsight, would have been to switch to manual focus. If others have ideas I would be interested in hearing them.

Jim

These modes seem like they could be useful for bird photography. "Panning" mode might be useful for birds in flight, and "beach" could be useful for shooting gulls and shorebirds on light-colored beaches to ensure they are not underexposed. I have not tried these myself though, and do not see how to determine exactly what settings they change. If they just change a few settings, it would probably be just as easy to make the changes directly.

On the subject of flight shots, I had a recent experience in which a rare tern for my area (a Bridled Tern) was circling for about 20 seconds about 25 feet above and around a boat in which I was riding. I found it impossible to get a shot in the circumstances; I have been able to get good flight shots when birds are flying in a more predictable pattern, but this was a definite challenge. The focusing mechanism pretty much ground to a halt and could not get anything to focus on. I suppose the best option, in hindsight, would have been to switch to manual focus. If others have ideas I would be interested in hearing them.

Jim

I have not looked at the scene modes, mainly because I have assumed that the first thing they would do would be to change ISO to fully automatic, which I don't like. I may be wrong.

Re flight shots, I tried a few Caribbean Martins the other day and it was a definite challenge. I think that zooming out a little actually helped with the focusing.

Niels

I discovered that the scene mode for aerial photos is quite helpful to cut some of the haze also on terrestrial pictures. It works both on the FZ8 and the FZ28; so it should as well do the trick on the FZ18. Unfortunately the scene mode can't be used for videos.

I've used panning and sunset modes and they came out better than the shots i took in Ai and my own settings. I haven't had a go at flight mode i prefer to set the shutter speed high and use burst for birds in flight a bit hit and miss but i always get at least one good shot. You can always delete the rubbish ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back