• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for use with a tammy 150-600 (1 Viewer)

andydan

Hi all am after a steady tripod for use with a nikon d7200 and tamron 150-600 combo.
Been told I could get away with a monopod as the set up isnt that heavy.
I also have trouble walking so it has to be light as well.

What do you recomend for me.
Thanks andy.

I have never owned a monopod but I have never fancied one either. Might be light but at least with a tripod you can set it up and stand next to it without having to hang on to it all the time.

Whilst your set up is quite light that doesn't mean that it does not need good support! It is still a 600mm lens and, with your crop factor, will give a field of view equivalent to 900mm so ideally it warrants some serious support! The two main factors in your decision are budget and weight and you have already stated that it must be light! I would suggest a 2 series Gitzo but they are very pricey and I am not sure that you would want to spend that much. A very good alternative is the Feisol CT3342:

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/24-ct-3342-tournament.html

Not perfect but it will do the job and is seriously light - and a fraction of Gitzo prices. Check that it is tall enough and remember to allow for a head when doing this. If you decide to go for a Gimbal head (I would for birds etc) then you can add about 8/9 inches to the height.

For some very good value Gimbal heads have a look here, I have the RH1 model which is great for a Canon 300 F2.8 + 1DX - a piece heavier than your Tamron Nikon setup..

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/index.htm

I do use mono pods but they are not everyone's cup of tea. They support heavy lenses very well and help with steadiness but you cannot relax with one. You always have to keep a hand or two on it (or it will fall over) - I would suggest that you try one before you decide.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back