• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltimore Oriole (1 Viewer)

MarcoC

No idea if my identification is correct or if this classifies as 'rare' but I've not seen one before!

Spotted this morning (Friday 27th July) in SE London

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Marco

Attachments

• IMG_5069.jpg
    IMG_5069.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Hi MarcoC and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily. More people will likely see it there.

It does look like an American oriole species, but where did you see it?

It sure looks like an immature male Baltimore Oriole or an adult going through moult.

Welcome to BF!

If it's a recent photo, this would be a "mature" (after-hatch-year) male, going through moult. Young, or hatch-year, males wouldn't have a completely black head like that.

P.S. Marco, it's a good idea to identify where your submission is from, geographically, in the thread title. (Unless you actually ARE in Baltimore, and were just referring to some generic oriole, in which case, you're covered!)

Hi all and apologies for the noob errors! The photo was not taken in Baltimore! but taken this morning (Friday 27th) in Eltham, SE London. From some random googling it doesn't seem like they turn up very often, am I right in thinking this was a lucky spot then? Not a lucky spot for me sadly as I was at work when it was taken!

The dove looks like a collared dove to me btw but I only have that pic to go by.

This is the only other picture she managed to take. It reappeared after an hour so she took this shot.

Looks in better shape here..

Attachments

• IMG_5076.JPG
    IMG_5076.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 48
The EXIF data in the first photo indicates it was taken July 27, a little after 11 AM (according to the camera's clock).

That's consistent with the camera being set to London time, but not US time: this thread appeared at 6 AM US East coast time.

The timeline is fine for a photo taken in London: snapped ~11AM, posted fairly promptly, second photo taken an hour later and posted about five hours after that.

The second photo shows no EXIF data at all (not too surprising as it looks like a heavy crop, not the original photo).

The other option is that EXIF data in the first photo is forged - that's very easy to do.

I'm no good at telling mourning doves apart from collared doves, any other opinions on that one? (Or are there mourning doves in London?)

Last edited:
Highly likely the poster and or photographer is messing about.......what are the chances of two major, mega rarity American passerines turning up at the same site, in central London, unusual date and being photographed together. Second Oriole photo shows a much brighter coloured individual too.
Goodbye.

Last edited:
The first photo shows a Baltimore Oriole with a Mourning Dove. I doubt these photos were taken in London.

Highly likely the poster and or photographer is messing about.......what are the chances of two major, mega rarity American passerines turning up at the same site, in central London, unusual date and being photographed together. Second Oriole photo shows a much brighter coloured individual too.
Goodbye.

Agree with this... not only one Baltimore Oriole, but 2 as they appear to be different birds AND a Mourning Dove.

The second photo shows the bird perched in an ash Fraxinus, with the foliage in the state I'd expect for early to mid May; certainly not July ;)

Hi guys. Well that is a thread to wake up to that I wasn’t expecting!!

My friend took the picture in her garden yesterday morning and the second was taken by her neighbour later the same day (timing unknown). I have asked them both to take a picture today of the spot where the bird was in the hope that will sway your fears that this was fake. After that I guess it’s up to you all. She was just excited to see a weird bird in her garden, that’s all!

As for the dove, she thought it was a pigeon! Lol. I thought it was a collared dove. I’ve never heard of a mourning dove. What’s the difference please?

Thanks for your patience. I’ll send what I can if only to lose the ‘fake’ label :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back