• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony alpha 100 (1 Viewer)

I did. I got it yesterday and it looks good. It is my first dSLR so a lot to learn. Got a decent shot today of a woodpecker at 1/10sec exp time without tripod. It is in my gallery today. I will keep posting. Jose

here is the shot. ISO 200, f/5.6, 300mm, exp time 1/10 sec. I guess the anti shake factor worked just fine. Jose.

Attachments

• red bellied woodpecker50.jpg
    red bellied woodpecker50.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Two more shots
flower: ISO 400, f/5.6, 300mm, exp time 1/15 sec.
woopecker ISO400, f/5.6 @ 300mm, exp time 1/60.

Attachments

• flower10.jpg
    flower10.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 471
  • downy.jpg
    downy.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 523
ISO and shutter speed

I tried different ISO and the associated achanges in shutter speed to test the image stabilization. All this shots are in A mode with a sigma 70-300 @ 300mm, handheld. I do not know what is a "standard" shutter speed at which you will get motion blurr with a non-IS lens but it appears the I can get down to 1/30-1/50 sec on stationary subjects. Hopefully that makes sense. The images were put in neat image standard settings as noise increased with higher iso.jose

Attachments

• ISO100.jpg
    ISO100.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 365
  • ISO200.jpg
    ISO200.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 330
  • ISO400.jpg
    ISO400.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 355
  • ISO800.jpg
    ISO800.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 316
  • ISO1600.jpg
    ISO1600.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 364
Here is a small Ruby-throated hummingbird at ISO400, 1/40 exp time, A mode, handheld @ 300mm-f/5.6 (sigma 70-300).

Attachments

• hummingbird1.jpg
    hummingbird1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 520
Noise with alpha.

Some members have asked me about the noise issue with the sony alpha. This is an example of ISO800 in aperture mode at f8, 1/125sec at 300mm with sigma 70-300. EXP compensation+1. Only resized. The second pic is a 100% crop. I let you decide if the noise is acceptable or not.Jose

Attachments

• butterfly2.jpg
    butterfly2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 454
  • butterfly3.jpg
    butterfly3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
mmdnje said:
Some members have asked me about the noise issue with the sony alpha. This is an example of ISO800 in aperture mode at f8, 1/125sec at 300mm with sigma 70-300. EXP compensation+1. Only resized. The second pic is a 100% crop. I let you decide if the noise is acceptable or not.Jose
Jose

Some excellent photo's. I had a look at your gallery and you certainly seem to be finding the right settings. I'm very impressed with the detail the camera is picking up and it looks like in good light there's hardly any noise. I presume you get fairly good light in Atlanta - even in November?

Now you've had the camera a few months have you any regrets about buying it instead of an entry level Nikon or Canon or are you still happy you got the right camera? If you were to recommend the camera to somebody else again mainly for bird/nature type photography which lenses would you suggest?

Thanks. Ian

HI Ian:
I try to keep the ISO low (even in auto mode the camera hardly ever goes above ISO400) to minimize noise. But even the noisy shots can be easily handled by any noise reduction software
I do not regret bying the camera, and I'm very happy with it. Still learning but certainly enjoying it. I would say that there is no need to get cought in the blattle between DSL brands. They all can produce good results. I personally bought the Alpha because I crop a lot and having 10MP helps. As to which lens, there are lenses available. I got a used, old sigma 400mm from e-bay for ~$200, and that is what I use for telephoto. There are better/newer options (tamron200-500, sigma 170-500, etc) but I'm not ready for it. DSLR is a different ball game than digiscoping, so waht I sometimes miss is the range that digiscoping gives you.
All in al, I really like the camera. I use it a lot for family/kids stuff and performs very well.
Let me know if you have more question or need specific examples.
Jose.

mmdnje said:
here is the shot. ISO 200, f/5.6, 300mm, exp time 1/10 sec. I guess the anti shake factor worked just fine. Jose.

That is a fantastic shot, certainly puts paid to some derogatory comments that I have heard elsewhere concerning the Sony Alpha.

RE Sony A 100

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a ton of money in Maxxum lenses and have been trying to decide what to do with it as I have gone digital entirely and the old Maxxum 7 (not really that old) is 35 mm. Sounds like Sony has made the right improvements and kept the A Mount for all those great lenses alive. Now to get a good price on the body. |8.|

First shot

OK first shot with the A100 and Minolta 100-300 zoom on a gray cloudy day. Everything auto. Lightened with photoshop 20%.
See my Gallery "Grebe1"

Shutter priority

I tried to use shutter priority today for the first time (It took me a while to understand the concept). I kind of liked it. It was easy to change the speed while looking at the subject. To achieve speeds over 1/500 I had to increase the ISo to 800 and 1600. These are two examples, Shot on JPEG, cropped, resized and cleaned in Neat Image.
First is ISO 800 and secon is ISO1600. I can live with them. Jose

Attachments

• iso8001.jpg
    iso8001.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 358
  • iso16002.jpg
    iso16002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 388
mmdnje said:
I tried to use shutter priority today for the first time (It took me a while to understand the concept). I kind of liked it. It was easy to change the speed while looking at the subject. To achieve speeds over 1/500 I had to increase the ISo to 800 and 1600. These are two examples, Shot on JPEG, cropped, resized and cleaned in Neat Image.
First is ISO 800 and secon is ISO1600. I can live with them. Jose

Great photos. I am about to purchase my first DSLR, my present camera being a Minolta A1, which takes photos, which satisfy me, of reptiles and insects, but has not got sufficient range to take birds.
I am not a dedicated "Birder", just a keen walker who is interested in wildlife in general, and therefore need an economical package to satisfy my needs.
I have therefore come down to a choice between the Pentax K100D and the Sony Alpha 100. Looking at your pictures, I am most inclined to go for the Sony, with its 10megapixels, for cropping, and would be grateful for any advice or opinions on the "Kit" lenses,18-70, and 75-300 Sony/Minolta, since I really cannot afford anything more expensive, and as a package, they just fit my pocket.
Since I live in a fairly remote area in France, far from any camera shops, i am unable to look at and handle these items, and am obliged to buy on the Internet, so any advice will be much appreciated.
Perhaps you could indicate the distance that you were from the subject Woodpeckers and Squirrels in your photos, so that I can get a better idea of what is achievable.

Also for those coming from Minolta like me the remote control wire from Minolta works. I had a Maxxum 7XI and Maxxum 7.

Spot metering

Tried spot metering today. Went to a circus and had to shoot at ISO1600. This is the first time I have used spot metering. 1/200 sec, f5.6, autofocus, handheld. Lens sigma 70-300 at 300mm. Jose

Attachments

• circus1.jpg
    circus1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 336
  • circus3.jpg
    circus3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 334
  • circus2.jpg
    circus2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 316
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back