• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Waders in South Africa (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I know it's a long shot because a) I've never seen one and b) they don't occur in South Africa - but I think that the pattern on that raised underwing of the second bird makes me think of Hudsonian Godwit.
D

Last edited:
Another for Hudsonian. The black underwing coverts alone rule out Blackwit, and the 'limited' amount of pink on the bill is less than I'd expect on a Blackwit, as well.

Sorry, missed that! It looks a lot like a Hudsonian Godwit, as far as I can tell. I think Black-tailed and Bar-tailed should both be a lot whiter on the underwing.

Agreed - the reluctance to ID is because it is very much a vagrant here, and one doesn't want to get it wrong.
Dave
PS How are you getting on with all the Prime Ministers? Aiberdeen's never been so popular.

Agreed - the reluctance to ID is because it is very much a vagrant here, and one doesn't want to get it wrong.
Dave
PS How are you getting on with all the Prime Ministers? Aiberdeen's never been so popular.

I think you might have to get on and report this Dave.

Disappointed not to bump into any major politicians today, at least so far. They'll all be in the pub by now I expect.

Ironically, I thought the ruff looked a bit funny and didn't even have hudsonian on the radar for the second pic. Amazing find.

Ironically, I thought the ruff looked a bit funny and didn't even have hudsonian on the radar for the second pic. Amazing find.

The ruff does look a bit funny, but I'm not sure what else it might be. I would still be grateful if anybody cared to suggest an ID.
I thought the godwit was fairly clear, but it is so unusual here that I wanted lots of opinions.
Thanks for your contribution.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back