• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Doves Mourn Lost Babies? (2 Viewers)

I am the Mother of 4 little girls, and we have had the privilege of watching a beautiful dove family right out our front window for the past few weeks. We had an up close view of the nest building, the hatching, the feedings, etc. Needless to say, our whole family has become very attached to this little bird family.

A couple days ago, I thought I noticed feathers coming out from under the mother, but thought perhaps the babies were getting bigger & not fitting under her as well. I became concerned when the feathers were in the same spot for a whole day (not moving). Then yesterday, for the first time, Mom & Dad were in the nest together all day- seemingly "snuggling." They were like this the entire day & night, and even rested their heads on each other.

I wondered how both them, and their 2 babies could fit comfortably- then this morning for the first time, the nest was completely empty, but I still saw those feathers laying there. I got very concerned, but when I came back home the Mom was back on there, sitting on the nest. Then a few hours ago, she left and has not returned. I finally decided to go see what the feathers were in there, and was so heartbroken to see both babies in the nest, dead.

Just as I typed this, I noticed one of the birds is back, and appears to be eating. I have so many questions.... when the 2 birds were together, were they comforting each other over the loss- if not, why did they share the nest for the first time after the babies had died?

Second, how could both babies have died with attentive parents who seemed to do a great job looking after them?

Third, what will happen to the babies? Should I remove them? Just thinking of doing that makes me so sad, but now that one bird has returned to eat, I am wondering what they will do?

Attachments

• rsz_20180327_104054.jpg
    rsz_20180327_104054.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 44
Addtl pics

Unfortunately I never got any of the babies, I was always too afraid of scaring off the parents

Attachments

• rsz_20180328_152938.jpg
    rsz_20180328_152938.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 19
  • rsz_20180328_152911.jpg
    rsz_20180328_152911.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 32
  • rsz_20180320_080621.jpg
    rsz_20180320_080621.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 26
First off, I would remove the corpses from the nest. The parents may or may not re-use the nest but if they do, rotting flesh and accompanying bacteria etc won't provide a healthy basis for the next clutch. You might leave them out for the scavengers though rather than wasting them by putting them in a bin.

Secondly, very few animals (and mostly those of considerable intellect such as elephants) are thought to remember and mourn. The doves are more likely hard-wired to brood young, and have kept on doing so until its patently obvious they are not getting a reaction (doves are generally a bit thick.)

Thirdly, there's more to parenting than brooding: the parents may not have been able to find sufficient food to feed both themselves and their young. In that event its a no-brainer that they feed themselves first. Or the young may have contracted an infection. Or had parasites that weakened them.

In general it is wrong to attribute human emotions to animals - their lifestyles and pressures are different and what thought processes they have are likely to be alien.

Having abandoned this attempt the pair may attempt to re-lay later in the season - life goes on.

John

First off, I would remove the corpses from the nest. The parents may or may not re-use the nest but if they do, rotting flesh and accompanying bacteria etc won't provide a healthy basis for the next clutch. You might leave them out for the scavengers though rather than wasting them by putting them in a bin.

Secondly, very few animals (and mostly those of considerable intellect such as elephants) are thought to remember and mourn. The doves are more likely hard-wired to brood young, and have kept on doing so until its patently obvious they are not getting a reaction (doves are generally a bit thick.)

Thirdly, there's more to parenting than brooding: the parents may not have been able to find sufficient food to feed both themselves and their young. In that event its a no-brainer that they feed themselves first. Or the young may have contracted an infection. Or had parasites that weakened them.

In general it is wrong to attribute human emotions to animals - their lifestyles and pressures are different and what thought processes they have are likely to be alien.

Having abandoned this attempt the pair may attempt to re-lay later in the season - life goes on.

John

John, I really appreciate your response!! It actually makes me feel a bit better. So you think it would be best to leave the nest? I am relieved to hear the parents move on quickly, unfortunately my girls have not taken the news as well |8(|

John, I really appreciate your response!! It actually makes me feel a bit better. So you think it would be best to leave the nest? I am relieved to hear the parents move on quickly, unfortunately my girls have not taken the news as well |8(|

Show them more David Attenborough and less Disney ;)

John

Also doves and pigeons are notorious for trying to breed year round - as they are one of the few non-carnivorous bird groups that do not require insectivorous food for themselves or their young this is feasible. But if as John says they get it wrong, and start at a time of low food supply (like now?), then they will feed themselves and let their offspring starve to death. This could have happened here, along with John's other suggested possibilities.

Nature is not like Disney at all really ..... :)

This is all good, and greatly appreciated info! It seems becoming a bird lover is not for the faint of heart, or at least not for one who grows emotionally attached to their offspring :)

I appreciate the time you've both taken to advise, and have also learned about David Attenborough! Now to find a way to explain this all to the girls- up until now, they've thought the babies are just very sleepy...:-C

This is all good, and greatly appreciated info! It seems becoming a bird lover is not for the faint of heart, or at least not for one who grows emotionally attached to their offspring :)

I appreciate the time you've both taken to advise, and have also learned about David Attenborough! Now to find a way to explain this all to the girls- up until now, they've thought the babies are just very sleepy...:-C

My older 2 caught on pretty quickly, but my 2 & 4 year old are still "disneyfied" I suppose!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back